S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ohlins with softer springs?

Old 03-13-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
The stock rear shocks come with about 7/8" of free travel. Granted, the stock bumpstop is soft AF.

A stock Ohlins, a long 6K spring with massive preload (~35mm) will yield like 1" of free compression travel and 1.13" of droop -- measured at the shock. No?

Ride height wouldn't be ridiculous. Although, you'd probably max the Ohlins cup out and be like 1.25" lower than stock. Not bad.

I wouldn't want the car real low with a 6KG spring and increased travel anyway. If the bumpstop isn't going to stop the travel...something else will. Long stroke shocks will ride nice. But...there's downsides to just increasing travel.

Anyway, this whole thing is futile. OP is gone, and I don't think the DFV needs a softer spring. The standard model with 1" of rear free travel glides pretty well.
Boom.

As far as ride height, I can't imagine someone super concerned with ride quality wants to go super low.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

^I didn't mean to come off the wrong way, BTW.

SBG has done more than any other vendor to research and develop the DFV's. Longstroke option is well dope and everything.

I'm sure they know a ton about this setup.

The standard ones work pretty good (IMO) for OP's situation.

Then again...If I were buying new ones, I'd definitely opt for the longstroke version. So maybe OP would prefer them too.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
The stock rear shocks come with about 7/8" of free travel. Granted, the stock bumpstop is soft AF.

A stock Ohlins, a long 6K spring with massive preload (~35mm) will yield like 1" of free compression travel and 1.13" of droop -- measured at the shock. No?

Ride height wouldn't be ridiculous. Although, you'd probably max the Ohlins cup out and be like 1.25" lower than stock. Not bad.

I wouldn't want the car real low with a 6KG spring and increased travel anyway. If the bumpstop isn't going to stop the travel...something else will. Long stroke shocks will ride nice. But...there's downsides to just increasing travel.

Anyway, this whole thing is futile. OP is gone, and I don't think the DFV needs a softer spring. The standard model with 1" of rear free travel glides pretty well.
Your numbers are correct but the amount of compression travel for a given bump goes up as spring rate goes down. We use a 1g suspension hit as our baseline for when the bumpstop comes into play in a significant way. 1" of travel on a 6" spring is very little as those bumps require much more linear stroke to absorb (vs a stiffer spring). It's all a ratio of compression to droop... preload removes droop, helper springs add it, but at the end of the day the shock length needs to be tuned to the spring rate in some way. The S2K Ohlins rear shock is just really short.

A better methodology to obtaining good ride quality is actually in valving (like our Sport) kits... we actually run a higher spring rate but slightly reduce the compression curve to add compliance. Then you have the best of both worlds, good roll control and good ride quality on the street. You do give up a little for track use, but for mixed use setup it's a worthwhile compromise.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Spring rate is only one component of ride quality. Damping matters too. The Ohlins do have better damping than the Konis. They definitely ride better and have better turn-in/response than the Konis since the Konis have fairly low compression force.

Bilsteins (though on national backorder at the moment) do ride really quite well though, they're also massively overdamped from the factory, they'll have no problem going to a higher rate, and in fact ride and handle better after doing so.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Alright guys just a quick update. I did buy the Ohlins and rode around them for a week playing with different settings. Build quality is amazing! Anyhow, I can see why many people like these coilovers for street and some track duty. It's a nice balance of both. Previously, my car would oscillate over the slightest imperfection but that's no longer the case. I finally have control. No more pogo effect that was apparent with my old suspension.

But that's where it ends for me. I don't do ANY track racing at all. Every bump I hit is firmer and harder than my old setup, plus my interior rattles more. Yes, the Ohlins are compliant but there is no denying I am riding on higher spring rate. Given the choice between a stiffer or softer suspension (both being compliant), I prefer the latter. I moved the rear 8kg spring to the front and had 7kg spring laying around. I have the front set 12 clicks from full stiff and the rear 14 clicks. I'm still playing around with the dampers, but the ride quality is pretty much what I was looking for. Obviously this setup isn't for everyone, but who cares, I'm happy.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:48 AM

Received 345 Likes on 322 Posts

So you put plenty of preload on the rears with 7kgs
Old 03-26-2018, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
So you put plenty of preload on the rears with 7kgs
I have about 12mm of preload on the rear. So far so good but I’ll increase it if I find myself hitting the bump stops too much or too early. I have the lower billet mounts ready to be installed but it doesn’t seem like I’ll be needing them (yet).
Old 03-26-2018, 04:27 AM

You'd want like 15-19mm of preload with 8KG springs with a stock weight S2000. Did you try that? Or did you leave it at 2mm?

I also did not like my Ohlins until I spent time setting them up.

A 7KG spring is only like 56LB lighter than an 8KG. I think the harshness you felt with your 8KG spring may have been from lack of preload.

A 7KG spring with 12mm preload puts you about 0.5 to 0.6" away from the bumpstop. So...you're hitting them all the time, believe it or not. You'd need like 22-25mm of preload with a 7KG to have the same free travel as a stock shock.

But hey...if you're happy, then be happy.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:17 AM

I ran the recommended 9mm preload when I had the 8kg springs.

I test drove my car around the block at 12mm and it felt nice enough that I haven't thought about changing anything else. I'll definitely try 24mm this weekend. I have the billet mounts ready in case the car looks like a 4x4.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:08 AM

A stock S2000, full tank, no driver puts about 820-840LB into each rear spring, for reference.

Quick Reply: Ohlins with softer springs?