S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

OMG my DFVs

Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG my DFVs

Back in February I picked up my '05 S2K and loved it, the car already felt like it was more capable handling wise than my 2010 Camaro. And while I liked the car in stock form I bought it so that I could have the car free and clear and be able to mod! Exhaust and intake were first, but then...I wanted a little moar low. Because I'm finally an adult with an adult job and disposable income I was ready to pull the trigger a bunch of times:

Koni + GC setup - Rode an AutoX in an s with this setup and I liked it, thought it would be a nice way to get lower and not ruin the car

Fortune 510 + swift springs - Never rode on them but they have pretty great reviews, built in the US blah blah but if I was going to spend that kind of money why not get the "defacto" s2000 occasional track use shock.

KW v3 - Rode around the block a few times in a car with them and was really impressed, stiff but they seemed compliant and I thought I was sold, but already at the $2k point I figured why not escalate a little more:

Enter the DFVs and easily the most money I've ever spend on shocks and springs, especially considering I hadn't ridden on them at all. I sent a bunch of emails to Patrick at Urge as everything I've read has been nothing but positive. Well, I wasn't let down. Patrick succeeded in coaxing the extra few hundred dollars out of my pocket and the next thing I know I'm waiting a little over a month for my setup. Basically I'm trying to have a car I can drive to and from work everyday and then to Auto X on the weekends with little to no changes.

Fast forward to the end of July and I dropped off the car to have them installed (nowhere to work on my car here in Cali ), so after this week the car has finally been balanced and aligned, I went with the UK alignment minus a little toe in the back, I'm only running 30" total as opposed to 40". The car is transformed. After all of the reviews I've read I feel like this has been beaten to death. The car is stiffer, but not in a bad way, and for me that was a big deal as I drive the car every day. The car is planted on the highway even over rough patches and the same goes for surface streets. Due to scheduling I have yet to get to an AutoX this month so that will be an add on once I get back out. The car just feels like it's handling threshold has ratcheted up. To put it in perspective after the balance and alignment I went from taking my favorite off ramp at 30ish to 35ish, couldn't be happier.

TLDR summary: I don't regret dropping $2400ish on these bad boys for a second and the customer service from Urge was spot on, props to Patrick for replying to me at 11pm on multiple occasions.

I'll be continually updating this with some pictures after I can wash my car (after the drought is over), and also after some racing seat time. Oh and I'm looking for wheels and tires now #becauseracecar, but I'm sticking with stock sizing so I don't expect that to impact the suspension.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:41 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

very nice!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's great to hear!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I love these shocks, but still contemplate them because even at their suggested height per ohlins, the rear shocks have very little travel before the bump stops come into play, not that thats a bad thing just kind of odd...I might have to bum a ride with you so I can finally bite the bullet.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a set from Evasive and they'll be arriving on Wednesday. VERY excited to get these put on.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
I love these shocks, but still contemplate them because even at their suggested height per ohlins, the rear shocks have very little travel before the bump stops come into play, not that thats a bad thing just kind of odd...I might have to bum a ride with you so I can finally bite the bullet.
It actually looks lower than it is, I like it because I have yet to scrape here in SD. Let me know, I'm going to try and make it to the meet at mission bay if I can.

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
I got a set from Evasive and they'll be arriving on Wednesday. VERY excited to get these put on.
yup yup! Waiting for expensive parts sucks.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't regret spending $3000 on them right before the price dropped. Glad more and more people are enjoying this setup.

I would definitely consider running a different alignment than the U.K. spec. There is so much more grip to be had and you can greatly improve the balance of the car with more front camber, without really much of a compromise, especially on a staggered setup.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine installed as close to OEM settings as the mechanic could get them. I have changed click settings to 12/14 and that seems to work well for me.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastD
I had mine installed as close to OEM settings as the mechanic could get them. I have changed click settings to 12/14 and that seems to work well for me.
I ran mine at 12/14 all last winter (on a staggered setup). Worked great. I've got it at 9/9 for the summer.

Quick Reply: OMG my DFVs