S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Opinion on Coilovers

Old 02-04-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

FA will valve the shocks to whatever spring rates you want to use. They claim to shock dyno every shock they build. Kinda amazing at that price. They also constantly improve tbeir product. Every year or two they release a new version, and they will convert your old omes to the new version when you send them in for rebuild.

That said, the Ohlins aren't just about performance at the limit. They have a ride quality that can be felt on every drive. Every curve. Every rise, dip and pot hole. Its not just about how they feel when you push limits, its about how they feel all the time. Its subtle, but its there.

But that experience costs money. Its up to you if its worth the extra cash.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
If you have ever used a Henckels knife, you'll never confuse it with one from the kitchen wares aisle in your local grocery store. But both are sharp enough to cut meat. Or more close to home, why choose the S2000 over a Civic? Both will get you wherever you're going and the Civic will probably do a better job (less fuel, cheaper insurance, carries more people, etc).

As B Serious said, for most of us the S2000 is all about the experience of driving and if you appreciate the subtle differences AND have the funds to spend, then you'll find the Ohlins worth it even though you may not track the car. You may have seen my comment earlier that if I did not track the car, I probably would not make the investment. That was in no way a message that I don't think the Ohlins are worth it - rather for me, without track use, the S2000 with mild mods would give me the type of experience I want at a price I feel is reasonable. If money didn't matter, then I'd probably be driving a GT3 or Ferrari 458. But for most of us it does matter so we have to balance the value we get against what else we might do with that money. I hope this doesn't come across as condescending as it's obviously a personal decision that each of us makes.

I think if this car wasn't my daily driver as well then I'd be more willing to look at the small differences. However since this is my only car and will be my daily driver for at least a couple years, I dont know if those differences are worth that kind of investment? Money for me really isn't the issue, I dont mind saving up for a couple months if I feel like its going to be worth it. I mean hell I'm buying TE37s for my car when I could easily spend much less on some RPF1's and get the same benefit. I think what I'm looking for is the middle ground between street performance, cost and reliability. In that same vein however, if the vote for online is that strong I dont mind dropping the money for them. It was my original plan anyways, but I just wanted some opinions to see if I wasn't just spending needless money on a mod that I wouldn't even be able to appreciate fully.

It does seem like however its kind of Ohlins or bust.Which honestly speaks to how good the product is. And is a big selling point.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

IDK why you guys are so caught up on this "celing of performance".

There are PLENTY of very fast cars running on straight up garbage suspension brands.

Furthermore...the Ohlins R&T line isn't a track focused coilover. They're a good building platform....but I'd look elsewhere if track focus was the concern.

Look beyond numbers. You'll enjoy driving more with the Ohlins while ALSO being able to support a fairly quick track setup.

Again, I'm not saying the rest is junk. I'm saying there's a lot in the details of how the shocks work that makes their cost justifiable
Old 02-04-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by xxyion
I think if this car wasn't my daily driver as well then I'd be more willing to look at the small differences. However since this is my only car and will be my daily driver for at least a couple years, I dont know if those differences are worth that kind of investment? Money for me really isn't the issue, I dont mind saving up for a couple months if I feel like its going to be worth it. I mean hell I'm buying TE37s for my car when I could easily spend much less on some RPF1's and get the same benefit. I think what I'm looking for is the middle ground between street performance, cost and reliability. In that same vein however, if the vote for online is that strong I dont mind dropping the money for them. It was my original plan anyways, but I just wanted some opinions to see if I wasn't just spending needless money on a mod that I wouldn't even be able to appreciate fully.

It does seem like however its kind of Ohlins or bust.Which honestly speaks to how good the product is. And is a big selling point.
Totally unrelated, but cars are a never ending hobby if you are really into them. Don't save up for parts. It'll consume your life.

More like "Oh hey, I've ran a surplus for the past month or 2, I can splurge a bit then."
Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 PM

I think if this car wasn't my daily driver as well then I'd be more willing to look at the small differences. However since this is my only car and will be my daily driver for at least a couple years, I dont know if those differences are worth that kind of investment?

Well...you drive a daily driver daily. So those small differences appear daily. So...its MORE advantageous because you use the advantage every day.

I also wouldn't call any of this an investment. The car runs fine now. You're doing ANY suspension mod because you want to. So...why not just get what you want?

As mentioned prior, none of it makes fiscal sense. Its actually the dumbest thing you can do (logically).

If you're ever going to think back on the money you spent and count your losses...then don't spend the money.

I've never looked back on these type of purchases in regret unless I bought the 2nd choice because it was a bit cheaper. I'd rather buy nothing than be only partially happy.

And if I'm spending ANY money, its because I'm never going to miss it. Otherwise, I'll be happier not spending it...so I won't spend it.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:36 PM

Sorry I mean investment as in how much am I going to enjoy it vs something else. Like if I'm legit going to enjoy the Ohlins more than lets say the Fortune Auto, then that to me is a worthy investment. If I buy coils and end up hating them, bad investment, and sure I wont really know till I try but I'm trying to not backtrack as much on this car as I did on my BRZ. I went through like 6 different exhausts, had a super charger, went back to stack, then Headers like 4 different times, flex fuel...it got stupid.

I already know I want suspension, I have my goals laid out I just need to make sure when I spend the money its well spent with little to no regrets. The fact that you say Ohlins are not track focused makes me lean towards them more, I was always under the impression that they were, so glad I was proven wrong. Honestly all of the arguments you guys have made are steering me towards Ohlins, sounds like a good coil to get with good road and track performance. Was just curious if anyone ran anything different based on the fact my car isn't track focused. But it seems like Ohlins are the best go too, so I'll stick with my original decision and save up for those.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:34 PM

I doubt you'll regret it.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeah thats kinda my thing. As much I know I will love the Ohlins, I'll probably never get close to the ceiling that the setup will give me. Kinda why I was thinking the HKS coils since they seem great for street. However someone I think said they were super soft so maybe I'll look into the fortune auto?
If you think this way why do you have an S2000 instead of a prius or some other econo box? Driving on the street especially daily driving you won't use the S2000 to its full potential and you could argue that the prius does a lot of thing much better than the S2000. Better MPG, more practical, less concern with people messing with it when you park it places. Like others said the Ohlins are not some crazy track only suspension. Ohlins made them fo the street car that you maybe track occasionally or even just take for a fun drive. Ohlins makes a full on track coilover and yes that would be total overkill for a street car.

Fortunes are fine but again they do not compare to the Ohlins except that they cost less. It is your car but coming from someone that learned the hard way I can fully recommend just waiting and spending the money on the best rather than settling for a more budget option that you may end up swapping out in the future (sounds like you went through this with your last car).
Old 02-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
If you think this way why do you have an S2000 instead of a prius or some other econo box? Driving on the street especially daily driving you won't use the S2000 to its full potential and you could argue that the prius does a lot of thing much better than the S2000. Better MPG, more practical, less concern with people messing with it when you park it places. Like others said the Ohlins are not some crazy track only suspension. Ohlins made them fo the street car that you maybe track occasionally or even just take for a fun drive. Ohlins makes a full on track coilover and yes that would be total overkill for a street car.

Fortunes are fine but again they do not compare to the Ohlins except that they cost less. It is your car but coming from someone that learned the hard way I can fully recommend just waiting and spending the money on the best rather than settling for a more budget option that you may end up swapping out in the future (sounds like you went through this with your last car).

Well, I mean yes and no. For example coils I made a great choice for my BRZ. Car was my daily that never hit the track, but just some nice mountain runs. SO I ended up going with ST Suspension which were under 1k, rode better than stock and were just stiff enough to handle some awesome backroad driving.

While I understand I wont hit the full potential of the car on the street, this car wont always be a street car. It is for now because I dont feel like owning two cars in my current living situation. Eventually I'll have a beater daily and this car will be a more dedicated track car. I just wasn't sure if it was worth it for me to wear down the ohlins in the year or two that I'll be daily driving this car when I could get something more suited for the street and then switch over.

But thats why I make these posts because I want to know what other people do or experience. Seems like Ohlins are a great street choice coil which can also do well on the track. So I've made the decision to stick with my original choice and save up for the Ohlins as ive stated. There doesnt seem to be any real benefit from going with a cheaper/softer coil and then upgrading in the future. If anything I'd probably just be wasting money.

I wasn't trying to convince myself to be cheap with the car, I just wasn't sure if Ohlins were indeed the best choice, I only originally chose those because of recommendations from my friends who track their 86s a lot.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Like anything, it depends mostly on how much you are willing to spend.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Coilovers