S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Over extended my caliper pistons

Old 09-25-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Over extended my caliper pistons

So installed the Goodridge brake lines tonight (tirerack had my stuff from Delaware to NC in less than 24 hours...awesome timing) and new rotors. Figured I'd go ahead and try and bleed the system while Im waiting on the Carbotechs to get here on Saturday. Well my dumbass forgot to put the stock pads on the front when pressurizing the system and when I went back to check it the front pistons were all the way out. They hadnt come in contact with the rotors yet thankfully but I went to push the piston back in and it shot brake fluid all over me. So I took an old brake pad, made sure the piston was all lined up, and a c-clamp and managed to get them back in with a little effort. My question is, did I harm anything? With a track weekend a week away I'd need to order new calipers/rebuild kit tomorrow at a minimum to get them in before next Friday. Thanks for the help yall.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Didn't harm anything in my opinion. The brake pad/c - clamp is the ghetto replacement for a brake caliper tool. As long as you bled the system properly, you'll be fine.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Try and get all the brake fluid out of the dust boot, you don't want it seeping out while on track
Old 09-26-2014, 04:26 AM

Will do and thanks guys. Pads should be here tomorrow so I'll do some testing before getting her back on the road. Other than leaking fluid anything I should look for?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

its ok, one time i left the oil drain plug out and poured in 5 quarts of some nice fresh Amsoil SSO 0 30. the best and most expensive way to flush out your old oil i guess. Things we do when we are tired and excited
Old 09-26-2014, 06:08 AM
Former Moderator

Once everything's done I would start the car and push and hold the brake pedal to make sure there are no leaks. This will let you know if the seal got folded over in the process. Make sure and push hard, now is the time to find the leaks not on track or on the street.
I do this on brake line swaps and seal replacements.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:41 AM

Will perform tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the educated suggestions! Rebuild kits (ie: new seals) are fairly cheap. I think I'll buy a couple just to have on hand
Old 09-26-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Putting those new seals on the piston is deceptively difficult. You need 5 hands to get them to stay put.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:32 PM

Haha...true enough...I priced out a set of remaned calipers which are $80 a piece...might be worth it.

UPDATE: Threw on the old set of OEM pads, which the fronts were nearly brand new. I fully compressed all 4 calipers, then bled the system, and got a pretty firm pedal...at least as firm as I used to have after 3 rounds of bleeding. I then removed the calipers (in part for the carbotechs tomorrow assuming all is well). Upon removing the fronts, I see each are a little wet. There was no drippage, so I am wondering if this is just residual fluid or did I potentially cut the seal somewhere. I ran out of brake cleaner, so these pics are a little dirty, but I am thinking I may need to go bed the pads and then recheck the front calipers. Would enough heat help tell if it's residual or if there is need for me to get seals or new calipers?

The first one I really wiped down well since it was the one I was most worried about. I had got it off-center when trying to recompress it in and it took a little, but gentle, effort to get it back in.

Over extended my caliper pistons-onyktac.jpg
Over extended my caliper pistons-x1layzz.jpg
Old 09-27-2014, 05:04 AM
Former Moderator

I wouldn't drive it until knowing for sure that it's not leaking, how long did you hold the brake pedal down for? I would do it again if it was less than a minute or two, don't worry, you can't push too hard on the brake pedal.
Imagine having a brake issue while trying to stop in front of someone important to you, find the issue now not later and be a 100% sure that it's right. Even before bedding in your brakes, a car with no brakes is no joke.

Quick Reply: Over extended my caliper pistons