S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

PBR (Axxis) Ultimate pads

Old 08-28-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default PBR (Axxis) Ultimate pads

i'm looking for better pads
main goals to get better feedback, better bite and reduce fading as much as possible.
no track but mostly spirited driving with long downhills here and there.
my current Stoptech are fading too quickly.
they're better though than Hawk HP+ that i had on my 2007 MX-5 which always were completely lost at the end of the downhill.

i had excelent expirience with Axxis Ultimates at my 1997 Turbo Miata.

i see that now Axxis is called PBR - but the product looks the same.

since S2000 is a "bit" heavier than 1997 Miata - i would like to see what expiriences you had with Ultimates.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still liking my EBC Red Stuff, went down to OH 555 and the brakes were great, good bite and no fade. The one thing I noticed is that after they were heated up, then cooled down (dinner break), then starting back out they lacked a little bite till warmed back up. Same for after getting back home the next day, but, a few miles of easy driving seemed to fix that also. So I'm not sure if they get a bit of glaze when really heated up then cooled that needs to be worn off. Doesn't seem like an issue to me, but, may explain some peoples complaints.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had ultimates on my RSX type-s (about the same weight as S2000) and they were great pads but loud as hell when cold. I switched to HP+'s and was much happier although the did fad somewhat quick as you noted. I was able to run about 10 minutes on the track at a time. If I had to do it over again I would still not get the ultimates.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:24 AM

the fronts r out of stock everywhere in the us until the second week of november. i dont know weather i should wait or return the rears and get the hawk hp+
Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 PM

Nothing but good experience with the Axxis ULTs here. I've been in the UK for the last year and have been to the track six times along with multiple road trips to the Nürburgring. At first, I was skeptical because of how cheap they were. Everything that they claim on the website is pretty much true. Good cold bite, slight noise, aggressive pad for both street and track, high resistance to fade. That last one was critical. I've been to Donington Park and Snetterton and another track here (Bedford Autodrome) that all have a 130 mph back straight that leads into a 60 mph chicane or similar type turn. I recently did repeated abusive laps over and over again in a 20 minute session where I was standing on the brakes from 130 to 60 mph to see if they would fade and after the 20 minutes I discovered that there was no fade or so little that I did not notice. The only thing I noticed was because of the severe abuse I was putting on them, there was noticeable wear (like any track day). I saw that they were worn down towards end of life and I also notice because of the pad wearing down that the brake fluid was a lot lower. I had to top up because the brake fluid sensor light was coming on in high G turns but keep in mind that I have been using the same brakes and fluid for a little over a year by now. My cheap rotors have cracked but I still have some pad left. I'll be getting some Ultimates again considering I haven't noticed any other car out braking this set up significantly yet.

Setup and Summary:
-Cheap rotors from R1 Concepts that will be upgraded now after lasting a year of abuse
-Axxis Ultimate brake pads
-Steel braided lines
-ATE Super Blue fluid

Never experienced brake fade after a year of track day abuse including multiple consecutive laps at the
Nürburgring. Brakes broke HARD and stable, while standing on the brakes, after multiple 130+ mph to 60 mph turns.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the Ultimates are good - if only could buy them
Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 PM

Just throwing in my two cents. I'm not a daily track racer like most, but of all the pads I've used, the Axxis Ultimates were among the best. On the street, the initial bite is great even in the cold, the dust is low, the fade resistance is exceptional and they are easy on the rotors. For a set of pads under 100$, I'd put em on par with most long-lasting track pads (not your full race pads like Pagid or Carbotech.)
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set PBR's sitting on my coffee table waiting to go on my hatch... not sure if they are ultimates. I had a good experience with my first pair though.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 AM

when mine come in ill post my opinion on them. im going to be running them with fresh cut oem rotors goodridge ss lines and ate super blue
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 AM

www.brakeco.com

they always have the axxis in stock. I used them for years on my Si. The only time I had an issue was at Road Atlanta where the rotors heated up beyond the temp range for the pads and left deposits on the rotors and caused them to warp on the front. Great pad for the money.

I have been using EBC yellow on the my CR and they aren't too bad but suck until heated up. going to try cobalt for track pads.

Quick Reply: PBR (Axxis) Ultimate pads