S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Possible to use wider rotors/discs with OEM front caliper and OEM front 17" wheels

Old 05-04-2014, 03:54 AM
BBO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to use wider rotors/discs with OEM front caliper and OEM front 17" wheels

Hello all

Looking to upgrade my 2006 AP2 S2000 brakes but want to keep my 17” OEM wheels (they are, as you know, 17-7 with 55 offset). The car has done 65.000 km (40k miles) on current rotors/discs.

In any event I will upgrade the brake fluid and pads (both front and rear) as prep for my upcoming track day. No need for input on this.

Question 1: Is it possible (and meaningful) to install wider rotors than stock, say to some that have the same diameter (300mm) but are either 32 mm or 28 mm wide vs. the 25 mm stock. For better ventilation obviously. Is that possible with the stock calipers? (I understand that changing the calipers to any 4 piston calipers will require new wheels which I’m not really interested in right now).

Same question for the rear: Possible (and meaningful) to install new rotors with same diameter (285 mm) that are ventilated and thus either 24 or 28 mm wide, compared to the solid stock ones (not sure how wide they are). Possible with the stock caliper?

Any ideas appreciated – thanks

PS: I anyone knows of a brake kit that fits the existing 17” wheels without using spacers then I’d be very happy to hear about it – but I understand all the kits from AP Racing, Brembo, Urge, and the like require 18” wheels or spacers which I’m not really interested in right now.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Giro disc from speedfreaks will work. They are two piece but oem sized.

The problem is that the oem caliper is only designed for a rotor that is the current thickness. If you look at the caliper bracket. They part that hold the pad. It is already very close to the rotor. You will have to so some work to get it to fit larger thicker rotors
Old 05-04-2014, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boyguan
Giro disc from speedfreaks will work. They are two piece but oem sized.

The problem is that the oem caliper is only designed for a rotor that is the current thickness. If you look at the caliper bracket. They part that hold the pad. It is already very close to the rotor. You will have to so some work to get it to fit larger thicker rotors
This is correct. If you increase the rotor thickness then you have to grind down your pads or only run used pads to accommodate the extra room needed. This would cause more problems than it would solve, IMO. If you want a wider and/or larger rotor then a BBK is really the best way to go.

If you are absolutely against buying aftermarket wheels or spacers for your stock wheels then the GiroDisc OEM sized 2-piece rotor with good pads and fluid is a great way to go. If this doesn't completely solve the problem then you can run ducting, which will be more effective with the GiroDisc rotors since they have curved vanes that pump fresh, cool air through the rotor much better than the stock single piece rotors with straight vanes. If I can answer any questions for you please let me know. Also, just curious but what pads and fluid are you considering / using right now?

Here are some links that may help:
GiroDisc 2-piece fully floating rotors
Speed Freaks Group Buy: GiroDisc 2-Pc OEM Replacement Rotors

-Matt M.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:35 PM
BBO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Based on your feedback the conclusion must be to stick with 300 x 25 mm rotors since I’m staying with the OEM wheels.

Thanks for bringing Girodisc up – looks like an excellent option. However, I live in Europe and can’t find any resellers within EU (if I buy outside of EU I’d need to pay 25% in VAT and 3% in customs…and shipping….)

Came across Performance Friction (PFC) and they have a 300 x 25 mm rotor that fits the S2000 and the OEM caliper. And a reseller in Europe.

As far as I understand the rotor is the same quality (V2 I understand) as their bigger ones.

Can’t find any reviews on Performance Friction brake system/rotors in the forum, only background info on the brake kit but no reviews from actual users. Understand they are pretty big in NASCAR and quite innovative.

There are several positive reviews of them in BMW forums.

Anyone in here with experience with or knowledge of Performance Friction rotors and especially the 300 x 25 mm option?
The idea is to use Ferodo DS2500 (or equivalent) pads with them.

Thanks

At Matt, currently 100% stock, including pads, brake fluid and everything else. But working on changing that :-D