S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Post Track Brake Checklist

Old 04-18-2016, 12:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Post Track Brake Checklist

I just ran Thunderhill West at Willows for my first track day. Car was pretty much stock other than the CT Intake and a UK mod. I'm aware that the OEM brakes are prone to fade, believe me I felt it after the 2nd run especially when it started to warm up (the sun was beating down). My car is also my daily. I just wanted to do a baseline run on the car so I get a better idea on how to drive it stock. SS brake lines will be in the works. What I'd like to know is what should I be checking after a run like that on the track. I'm sure there are some specific things I should check that I'm probably no thinking about. I do plan to get it serviced next week though. Definitely replacing the pads and I'm probably going to replace the rotors as well. Keep in mind that this is a daily as well. I'm not comfortable with the condition the rotors are in. There's normal wear and I've noticed the increased wear after tracking it. I didn't have to brake as much. The only hard braking was the two hairpins and turn 9, but I feel like they're used enough to where I'd feel more comfortable getting it all done. That and it still has the same parts that was on it when I bought it back in November. I put on about 20k since I bought it.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on aftermarket that would be great as well. I do want to maintain a stock-ish feel to the car when it comes to the brakes, but just with betting stopping power. I'm still new and learning the car so I don't want to change it to where I'd be using it as a handicap as opposed to learning with what I already have.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I'd replace your fluid with something that's suited to track use. ATE 200 and Castrol GT LMA are great for track use. I would suggest flushing it once a year or more.

Rotors from rockauto are fine. I use Centric for the front...and whatever for the rear. If you're tracking the car...just get used to cracking them every now and then. Inspect them for small hairline cracks after track days. Eventually, the crack will get bigger and split the rotor plane...and then its useless.

There aren't any brake pads that absolutely work on track AND street. Stoptech street performance (also on rockauto under the Centric brand) are the closest thing I've seen to actually bridging the gap. And they're cheap. They'll work until you get faster. Then you'll need a track pad with dedicated rotors.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

If you will be tracking your car often, I recommend going straight to a big brake kit. The StopTech kit is a known quantity and this link has info on them:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ont-break.aspx

You will need to buy new wheels to clear them. I planned my wheel/tire, suspension, and BBK as a package really so they would all work in concert together. I waited until the tires on the car wore out before diving into new wheels/tires.

There are a bazillion threads on the forum about big brake kits, tracking on them vs. stock brakes, etc.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
If you will be tracking your car often, I recommend going straight to a big brake kit. The StopTech kit is a known quantity and this link has info on them:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ont-break.aspx

You will need to buy new wheels to clear them. I planned my wheel/tire, suspension, and BBK as a package really so they would all work in concert together. I waited until the tires on the car wore out before diving into new wheels/tires.

There are a bazillion threads on the forum about big brake kits, tracking on them vs. stock brakes, etc.
Track will be once every couple months due to my work schedule. I don't race hard enough or often enough to justify getting a BBK yet.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RainyDayLeo
Also if anyone has any suggestions on aftermarket that would be great as well. I do want to maintain a stock-ish feel to the car when it comes to the brakes, but just with betting stopping power. I'm still new and learning the car so I don't want to change it to where I'd be using it as a handicap as opposed to learning with what I already have.

Thanks everyone!
When I bought my car at 30k miles I had little confidence in the OE setup, so after 6 months I upgraded all 4 corners to EBC Ultimax slotted rotors, EBC Red Stuff pads, Stoptech SS lines, and ATE Typ 200 fluid. It feels like stock with much more stopping power available. I daily mine and have gone to 2 track days since. Works great! Since I am primarily street use, I like that the setup doesn't require getting up to high temps to be effective, has no squealing noise, and minimal dust. I think this will work for you as well, or you might want to upgrade to Yellow Stuff pads since it sounds like you'll be tracking way more than twice a year.

Post Track Brake Checklist-io4rioy.jpg

Old 04-22-2016, 04:59 PM

After heavy use how did your rotors looks post track day? I don't mind squealing too much but the level of tolerance is subjective. A squeal to someone else might sound like a cat in heat. How's the dust on EBC Yellow? I've decided on getting PMu +800 but I think I'll try out EBC yellows for comparison as well.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rotors look the same as before I started. Here is a photo as it sits today, 2 track days and 5,000 miles after install.

Post Track Brake Checklist-64rhtj3.jpg

This is how it looks like new. The entire surface has a black coating, which makes it easy for proper bedding. All non-friction areas remain black and corrosion free, another plus.

Post Track Brake Checklist-lmjmqvn.jpg

Can't say anything about the Yellow Stuff since I haven't tried them. I think EBC is more popular in Europe, there are some posts in that section if you want feedback from actual users.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Grilla
Rotors look the same as before I started. Here is a photo as it sits today, 2 track days and 5,000 miles after install.

This is how it looks like new. The entire surface has a black coating, which makes it easy for proper bedding. All non-friction areas remain black and corrosion free, another plus.

Can't say anything about the Yellow Stuff since I haven't tried them. I think EBC is more popular in Europe, there are some posts in that section if you want feedback from actual users.

Nice! I have Girodisc, SoS, and these on my list to try out. I don't think I'll ever put a BBK on the car. I don't plant to track that often enough right now. I'll check out the Europe threads for ebc. Thanks for the heads up!