S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Preload and height adjusts at same time

Old 12-18-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Yes....the entire body will turn. The spring may or may not turn.

Counting from the top.

Lock rings #1&2 together tight. Make sure ring #3 is loose.

Put the wrench on ring #1. Turn the wrench CLOCKWISE (looking from the top of the car) to turn the body INTO the bottom bracket and lower the car.

Put the wrench on ring #2. Turn the wrench turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE (looking from the top of the car) to turn the body OUT of the bottom bracket and raise the car.

The whole body will turn. Its like a screw. The bottom bracket is like a nut. The rings are like jam nuts.
I did mine yesterday, the spring didn't turn with the rings but I spun the rings correctly to adjust my height without changing the preload.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b_ron
I did mine yesterday, the spring didn't turn with the rings but I spun the rings correctly to adjust my height without changing the preload.
So your spring didn't turn, but both of your top rings and the threaded sleeve did? You measured the spring length before and after you adjusted the height and it didn't change?
Old 12-25-2016, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by edumak
So your spring didn't turn, but both of your top rings and the threaded sleeve did? You measured the spring length before and after you adjusted the height and it didn't change?
Correct, the spring preload stayed the same (~7 3/4") before and after the adjustment. I got the thread length to what I needed for the height (~91mm).
Old 12-28-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So I've been following this thread and have a question. I got my preload adjusted and basically lowering the car by reducing the shock length, right? Is it common to have a difference in shock body length to have an equal gap on both sides? Right now there is about an 8mm difference...+8mm on the rear driver's side w/ full tank of gas.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by P-Dub
So I've been following this thread and have a question. I got my preload adjusted and basically lowering the car by reducing the shock length, right? Is it common to have a difference in shock body length to have an equal gap on both sides? Right now there is about an 8mm difference...+8mm on the rear driver's side w/ full tank of gas.
By gap are you referring to the fender to wheel gap? Assuming preload and damper free length were set precisely before installing, and you are confident that nothing is bent, you shouldn't adjust the damper to try to make for even fender gap measurements. 8mm isn't really very much side to side. Fender gap is very inconsistent measurement method and you are more likely introducing a lot of cross weight into your corner weights which is very bad. Cross weight (jacking force for NASCAR people) is when more than 50% of the cars weight is supported by a diagonal pair of wheels. Ideally the front left & rear right wheels will support 50% and the front right and rear left should also have 50%. Even a few percent away from 50% will be noticeable by the car having oversteer going one direction and understeer in the other direction. This makes for a very difficult car to drive.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I made the mistake of lowering the car by changing the preload (not shock body). Then I set the peload back too the original specs by the spacing between the adjustable collars (w/out removing the coil overs). I then proceeded to lower the car by shortening the shock bodies. Maybe my measurements were wrong and I'll have to remove all the coil overs from the car and set everything back to original specs.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:02 PM

I believe the short answer is yes. All cars wont be 100% perfect on all corners (which is why there is corner balancing?). How big the difference on each corner will be different for everybody.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I made the mistake of lowering the car by changing the preload (not shock body). Then I set the peload back too the original specs by the spacing between the adjustable collars (w/out removing the coil overs). I then proceeded to lower the car by shortening the shock bodies. Maybe my measurements were wrong and I'll have to remove all the coil overs from the car and set everything back to original specs.

Yes. As mentioned, bushing bind will cause the preload to "change".

Reset the preload with the shocks FULLY extended. The car's factory bushings and other suspension movement restrictions will prevent this from happening.

The best way to ensure that the shocks are fully extended is by removing them from the car.

Make sure the tophat nut has not come loose. Tighten it to spec. Then set the preload.

Then renstall and set the car's ride height via the shock body length.

While you are doing this, the bushing bind will cause the spring length (preload) to appear to change. As long as the perches and top nut remain locked down...it is only appearing to change. It is not actually changing.

Last edited by B serious; 12-29-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

So the preload appears to change when you adjust shock length, and bushing bind prevents shock length from increasing. Its just that when you reclock the bushings as the very last step, the preload will return to normal.

So if you loosen the CA bolts first, so bushing bind no longer exists, then adjust shock length, then complete the reclock by tightening the CA bolts, this phantom 'change' in preload won't occur during ride height adjustment.