S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Question about Tein RS and ride height

Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about Tein RS and ride height

I was wondering about adjusting Tein RS ride heights. As you probably know the RS coilovers don't have total damper length adjustability. So all ride height changes are accomplished with the spring perches.

While checking my ride height, front - left to right, I noticed that the driver side height was much lower than the passenger side even after using the suggested dimensions from Tein. And so, after making several small adjustments I was able to get the ride height equal left to right, BUT, the amount of threads showing beneath the spring perch is like 1:3 and therefore, I am wondering how much preload is on the right front compared to the left. I have no idea why they would be so different when initially they were set the same to Tein specs. Tein suggests measuring the height from the top of the wheel well to the center of the rim to verify correct initial height setting after installation.

I do not have the car slammed by any means, I have about 1.25" of wheel well gap still.

Could the springs be that shitty? The helper springs appear to have somewhat similar compression but there is at least .5" difference between the right and left spring perches. I bought these coilovers used and sent them to Tein for refurbishment and three came back good. They serviced the other one due to lower oil.

I know the RSs are a bit dated with the whole strut length not being adjustable. But its what I got and I am hoping somebody could help provide me with some insight.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 04:58 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Hey I am running the same suspension. One thing to make sure when making ride height adjustments. After you make your adjustment, and put the car back on the ground, roll the car back and forth a few times, then open the doors, stand on the door sill and jump up and down a few times. This ensures that the springs/car is settled. it is very likely that if this step is skipped, you will not see a change in ride height when you measure becasue the suspension has not settled.

By your comment about the 1.25" of wheel gap, I have a feeling the car is not settled, and you are by chance getting the same measurments left to right. When setting my car I measured as Tein specified, but I also put a straight edge on the adjustment colar and measured from the bottom of the colar to the bottom of the threads, my measurements were all equal. If you plan on having your car corner weighted, then do not worry. Once the cross weights are taken into account, each corner of the car will be slightly different measurment wise to account for the weight.

Do not worry about these being "old", they are a really great coilover and better than the vast majority of coilovers on the market!