S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

raising the s2k

Old 02-21-2017, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raising the s2k

For those who have coilovers. is it posible to raise the s2000 an inch or two from stock height? Ill be moving to a mountain town and i was wondering if aftermarket coils can lift the s2000 by adjusting the shock body
Old 02-21-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock monster truck ride height will give you a TON of ground clearance and youu definitely won't need it raised.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on the dimension of the coilovers too. My Fortune Auto co's have pretty large bodies and will make contact with various parts of the front control arms if ride height/droop isn't set up carefully. If I maintain a reasonable amount of droop, as I have, I can't raise the front ride height more than ~1" lower than stock.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

The UCA shouldn't hit the shock body at 2" of additional height. It *almost* hits the shock body at full droop with the stock suspension.

Idk what kind of coilovers can achieve this. Koni Yellows with very long GC/ERS springs at close to stock rates, perhaps. The coils would have to be spaced out or skinny to avoid coil bind.

Maybe you can do this with Öhlins DFV's...but I think they do want a max amount of spacing between spring lock and bottom bracket lock to prevent putting a large bending moment on the shock body.

An external tophat spacer on stock shocks may be an option...but it'd be tricky to install everything. And you'd have to replace the tophat studs with something ultra long.

Idk if OP is for real, though. A place that supports rally setups may be able to help.

WTF kind of roads would be a problem for a stock height S2000, though? They'd have to be substantially shitty.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Mostly for snow and steep driveways. the city is practically build for 4x4s. i want to keep my S so if there was an adjustable coilover that would allow me to lift and lower as i please then that would be great otherwise ill just stick with the stock shocks. it also just occurred to me that 185/65/r16 blizzak tire should probably raise me off the ground a little. ill leave my summer tires for my other set of wheels
Old 02-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Not really a practical/feasible option. For instance, you cant just raise and lower the car at will, without throwing the alignment completely off every time you want to adjust the ride height. Typically aftermarket coilovers for this car automatically are shorter body length then the factory shocks, with the intent of lowering the car wile still getting some suspension droop and compression travel. You can get around this and may even increase static ride height over stock a tad if you ran really stiff aftermarket coils, but then you would be giving up droop travel for ride height and would be an all around shitty ride. Id say just leave the stock dampers in place. A slightly taller profile tire on winter wheels may be the best compromise. Just keep in mind the front fenders are especially low profile and snow 'pack up' between the tire/suspension and inner fender could be an issue driving in a measurable amount of snow with taller tires. It sounds like you need a second 4x4 vehicle.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:30 AM

I'd actually like to lift my S2K about a 1/2" or so. Unless I'm SUPER SUPER careful, my 100% stock '06 scrapes my driveway when exiting. And I don't have a particularly steep driveway, maybe 15% grade.

The S2K is without a doubt the lowest car I've ever owned, I took a while to find a jack low enough to get underneath, and just barely. I live in Indiana and thank's to our brilliant governor (who's now the VP), we have some seriously shitty roads here.

I know a lot of people who rally race, and simply put taller springs on their cars, and it works fine. My brother rallies a 240SX, he put I think Chevelle springs on the front, and rear springs I think off a Volvo, and it works just fine with Koni struts.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

did you look at air bag suspension instead?
for example
https://www.airliftperformance.com/vehicle/honda-s2000/

Last edited by billios996; 02-27-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-09-2017, 03:26 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Get a winter car/4X4. Save your s2k for the warm weather.
I suppose some may disagree, but my opinion is that our s2ks are awful in snow and they deserved to be protected and preserved by keeping them away from salt and snow. I live in Vermont. We have snow. Everyone here puts there summer cars to sleep for the winter in a nice cozy barn. Its great in some ways because it keeps the miles off and it feels like you get a new car every spring! Plus, you will be a lot safer.

Last edited by rpg51; 03-09-2017 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
Get a winter car/4X4. Save your s2k for the warm weather.
I suppose some may disagree, but my opinion is that our s2ks are awful in snow and they deserved to be protected and preserved by keeping them away from salt and snow. I live in Vermont. We have snow. Everyone here puts there summer cars to sleep for the winter in a nice cozy barn. Its great in some ways because it keeps the miles off and it feels like you get a new car every spring! Plus, you will be a lot safer.
Agreed. No sense in beating up the S if you can swing another vehicle. I have a Tacoma 4x4 that becomes the bad weather vehicle for me. Happy to have it. Also gives me a practical way to perform repairs/mods on either of them and still have a car to use if needed. I would never want to rely on one car in my life again. Been there, done that!

Quick Reply: raising the s2k