S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Rear buddy club rca ball joints to much camber!!??

Old 06-10-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear buddy club rca ball joints to much camber!!??

I recently installed the buddy club extended ball joints in the rear. I now can't get a moderate camber range for the street of even -1.5. The lowest camber I was able to reach was -2.5. Is it common to fix this problem with the spc upper adjustable ball joints? Any input would be great. Thanks
Old 06-11-2018, 04:05 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Your SPC joints are set for a lot of neg camber, most likely.

SPC joints should not be used as adjusters, BTW. Just range extenders.

More details on how you're adjusting them and how low the car is will help answer your question.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Why would you install buddy club ball joints if you only want 1.5* camber?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Your SPC joints are set for a lot of neg camber, most likely.

SPC joints should not be used as adjusters, BTW. Just range extenders.

More details on how you're adjusting them and how low the car is will help answer your question.
so if u set the spc upper to the most positive. It will give me a less aggressive range right?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by afzan
Why would you install buddy club ball joints if you only want 1.5* camber?
my oem ones were shot, and thought I would buy the upgraded ones to fix geometry.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:42 AM

Rear lower RCA joints don't directly affect camber. But they do lower the ride height...which affects camber.

Buddy Club joints are almost surely not an upgrade from OEM. I highly doubt any aftermarket part is built as well as OEM Honda chassis parts are. Consider them a downgrade to some extent, in terms of quality. So you should inspect them every now and then for cracks or issues with the housing/boots.

Same with the SPC's for what it's worth.

OP
...I don't know how to help you without getting an idea of what's going on. Details about your setup and photos will help.

I would set the SPC's to "neutral" or maybe slightly positive (depending on how low your car is).

They need to be flipped over to go from negative range to positive range, BTW. Maxing them fully outboard while they are in the negative position will put them in "neutral".

Also...don't just run them full neg or positive. Position them advantageously. Lock them down TO THEIR SPECIFIED TORQUE to minimize breaking your UCA whilst driving. Then forget they exist.

Then make all adjustments using the factory cam adjuster.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:01 PM

im not sure on exactly how low i am. im running 255 40 17 with 17x9 +45 and there is about half a finger between the fender with the ohlins on low forks. so by setting the spc to neutral, you think that would set it closer to back to an oem camber range?
Old 06-11-2018, 02:41 PM

To fit 255's and 17x9 +45's, the only way to get to--1.5 deg of camber would be to narrow the track.

Eyeball spec the SPC until the tires clear the fender when compressed (best way to do this is remove the shocks so you can freely jack the tire up). Then go get an alignment and ask the guy to set the camber as positive as it will go until he sees that the tire will interfere with the fender on bumps.

It will be tricky to align, and you *may* need toe adjusters so that the poor guy aligning it can have some hope of getting toe in spec while keeping camber change minimal.

Or...just leave -2.5 in there because its not going to cause many (any?) adverse effects. I would set the SPC to slightly negative to clear the fender. Then set the stock adjuster to get -2.5.

The advantage of the SPC is that it pulls the top of the spindle in. So it takes lesser neg camber to clear fenders with wide tires/wheels.

You didn't need the SPC's to get to -2.5.... but I suppose they will help with fender clearance

Why are you aiming at -1.5?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
To fit 255's and 17x9 +45's, the only way to get to--1.5 deg of camber would be to narrow the track.

Eyeball spec the SPC until the tires clear the fender when compressed (best way to do this is remove the shocks so you can freely jack the tire up). Then go get an alignment and ask the guy to set the camber as positive as it will go until he sees that the tire will interfere with the fender on bumps.

It will be tricky to align, and you *may* need toe adjusters so that the poor guy aligning it can have some hope of getting toe in spec while keeping camber change minimal.

Or...just leave -2.5 in there because its not going to cause many (any?) adverse effects. I would set the SPC to slightly negative to clear the fender. Then set the stock adjuster to get -2.5.

The advantage of the SPC is that it pulls the top of the spindle in. So it takes lesser neg camber to clear fenders with wide tires/wheels.

You didn't need the SPC's to get to -2.5.... but I suppose they will help with fender clearance

Why are you aiming at -1.5?
I have toe adjusters already so that will help. I was liking the spec that i was running last year with 1.5 rear and 2.0 front( its very twitchy feeling but corners really good, I cant remember my toe specs from before though). I find that now I'm not getting sufficient grip on acceleration. this is also for the street so ideally I wanted to minimize camber wear for the street( I would be changing the camber and toe when i go to the track). I think I'm going to try these and set it a bit more + then centre and see if it helps. it should do the trick I think.
thanks for the help.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:56 PM

Very strange....

Is the car turbo or something?

Quick Reply: Rear buddy club rca ball joints to much camber!!??