S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Rear suspension noise (video included)

Old 09-09-2016, 03:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear suspension noise (video included)

Was driving the other day and started to notice this noise whenever i turned right and loaded the left side suspension. Its coming from the rear left so behind the passenger.

Took the coil out today and gave it a clean, sprayed a bit of lubricant on the top rubber bushing where it meets the body as i thought it might be rubbing a bit there and noticed that my dust boot was all crumpled and crushing on the shock and spring so i cut it off and will get a new one.

none of this fixed the problem and the noise was still there when i went driving after the reinstall.

any ideas would be appreciated and ill be going back tomorrow to see what else i can figure out.
everything looks fine visually so not too sure.
blown shock maybe? the ride isn't crazy bumpy though.

coilovers are amuse S trye spec with 12k springs all round

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A2QGHCTcLc
Old 09-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you have to remove your upper rear control arm to get the shocks in? if you didnt load the suspension before tightening the bolts you might have torn the rubber bushings. check your control arm bushings and bolts and make sure they're okay and torqued down. i had a similar noise once and that's what it was.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Lubricant? The spring doesn't rotate and should not slide against anything. You should never need to lubricate anything external except the threads..and maybe pillowballs. If it needed lubricant because springs were sliding against other parts...then something is very wrong.

Don't lubricate the springs. It will attract dirt and other junk that will damage the finish.

I think your tophat center nut is probably loose. If you haven't checked that already.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by CrimsonCore
did you have to remove your upper rear control arm to get the shocks in? if you didnt load the suspension before tightening the bolts you might have torn the rubber bushings. check your control arm bushings and bolts and make sure they're okay and torqued down. i had a similar noise once and that's what it was.
no never had to remove the upper arm. checked the bolts and bushings already and everything seems fine.
i recently swapped the stock shocks in and the noise went away until i put the amuse coils back in so im pretty sure its 100% shock related

Originally Posted by B serious
Lubricant? The spring doesn't rotate and should not slide against anything. You should never need to lubricate anything external except the threads..and maybe pillowballs. If it needed lubricant because springs were sliding against other parts...then something is very wrong.

Don't lubricate the springs. It will attract dirt and other junk that will damage the finish.

I think your tophat center nut is probably loose. If you haven't checked that already.
have already checked the top hat nut and it was nice and tight so not that.
and yep no lube on the springs or shock. just a tad around the top hat rubber o ring to see it it stopped the hat rubbing on the body but it made no difference. also used teflon automotive lube so doesnt dry sticky
Old 10-04-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Try ditching the dust boot for a test drive.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Did that straight away. Did nothing
Old 10-04-2016, 02:37 PM

I think it's just time to give it over to the professionals