S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Rear sway bar bushings - Do I need to drop the exhaust?

Old 05-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
The endlinks are only difficult because of the dumbassed way that Honda uses to hold the stud from spinning.

There's an easy work around if you have strong grip strength like a chimpanzee.

In either case...its probably the end links making the noise. I'd opt to buy new endlinks with your bushing order to save on shipping. OEM parts sites kill you on shipping. I always try to bundle.

Unless you're making the MASSIVE mistake of buying aftermarket parts for this order. In which case, you'll be bundling together OEM parts in a few months
I unfortunately didn't consider the endlinks when I was placing my order. So if the squeaks don't go away, it'll have to be in another order. Thank you though.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:52 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
A trick to avoid that dirt problem is to not use grease at all. Wrap the bar with PTFE tape (use the thicker stuff made for gas lines, comes in the orange roll) where it sits in the bushings. No more squeaks, no more regreasing Someone mentioned that to me a number of years ago and the next time the car I had then needed the aftermarket sway bushings greased (typically started squeaking at least once per year) I cleaned off the grease and used the tape. Still have that car and have not touched the sway bushings since, and it sees salt since I DD it all winter here. That was about 7 years ago I did the same with the front bar on the S2k in 2014 and have never touched those since either. Works pretty well!
Cool! I like it! I will be doing this next time I'm under the car.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 AM

So, I have a sneaky suspicion that the squeaks/hollowed bowling pin knocking sounds are actually coming from the motor mounts.

Every now and then, I can replicate the "gong-nog" sound when the engine shudder when I shut it off. I've long suspected my motor mounts are done, but I don't see the the brown fluids yet. It's just that, it feels like the sounds are coming from the rear of the car.

I forgot to mention that I also included a set of OEM motor mounts in my order along with the rear swar bar bushings. I will be replacing them one at a time. Just for curiosity sake, I want to know where the "gong-nog" sounds are coming from.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:26 PM

Well... got the motor mounts out. They weren't leaking but they were definitely cracked:

Maybe my intuitions were right. I've driven the car on the same squeak inducing roads and I haven't heard them since the new mounts are in.

Will definitely report next weekend as I drive it more. But, now I'm going to put off the rear sway bar bushings for now.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:42 AM

Welp... looks like it didn't fix the squeaks/hollowed knocking noises. (But the car drives so much better with new motor mounts still, and those had to come out)

I am going to replace the rear sway bar bushings after all.

Honda didn't ship the bushings with any sort of grease or pre-installation lubricant. Do you guys know what lubricant (if any) should I use during the installation? Thank you!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

I used silicone grease. Bit have since learned of a better idea from a member here. Use teflon tape. No grease to attract dirt and grit,which will grind into the rubber and wear it.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:50 AM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

I used marine grease
Old 05-27-2019, 12:48 AM

Well, I replaced my rear sway bar bushings. By the way, you can do it without dropping the exhaust. The top bolt of the bushing bracket is a pain to get to. The best way for access is actually directly through the rear wheel wells. The bottom bolt can be accessed normally from underneath the car.

As you can see, the old rubber isn't actually torn or ripped, but it is mildly deformed.

The disappointing news is that, the hollow-knocking, bowling-pins sounds are still there. And I can't remember if I mentioned in my original post that, intermittently, I can hear it upon shutting down the engine (when the engine does its last quiver/shakes when you shut it down). So, it's more of a "jiggling", like something is loose and it's triggered by the shaking of the car over imperfect road, rather than actual suspension travel and/or depression. (But, at the same time, kind of hard to rule out suspension)

I've already ruled out the motor mounts. Replaced those and the sounds is still there.

I am left with these ideas:
- Loose honeycomb in my catalytic converter
- Dead rear endlinks - Visual inspection says they're still good, no obvious rips and/or excessive play
- Dead differential mounts - Visual inspection says they're still good, fluids explosion or leak

Suggestions? The sounds are most noticeable at lower speeds (lower than 45mph), and on any road imperfections. Thank you!