S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Rear wheel lifts going up driveways/Suspension travel

Old 12-22-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel lifts going up driveways/Suspension travel

Hey all. My current setup is Koni yellow w/ CR springs on the lower perch. I have a couple of issues I'm running into that I thought I'd ask for help/ideas with. I'm thinking of going coilvers to raise up the height a little bit because sometimes the middle of my car scrapes where my driveway meets the sidewalk ramp to the street (it's at a crappy angle) but I'm not sure if that will fix my other problem below.

My right rear wheel also lifts when I enter my driveway from one direction (right turn). My driveway ramp is at a steep angle and my street is also on a slight downward slope so when I enter my driveway (going up the slight slope on my street), my front two wheels will get up the driveway but in doing so, my car loses momentum and coupled with the rear wheel lifting off the ground (i can tell because I can hear it spinning trying to get traction because of the LSD.. I've read this wears out the LSD so I'd like to avoid this if possible) my car gets stuck and i have to let it roll back down and try again at a different angle with more momentum. My question is: Is this caused by the CR springs on the lower perch (shortened suspension travel)? Does my spring/shock set up cause my car to have lower suspension travel so that my right wheel can't reach the ground and would coilovers help this?

What's weird is that I don't remember this happening when I was on 215/45, 255/40 staggered wheels. I'm running 245/40 square now and I'm not sure if that affects it because it theoretically should only be a 0.3" difference in diameter.

I like the ride and the drop with the CR springs on the lower perch but at this point I'd sacrifice some looks for avoiding wearing out my car parts and scraping the middle of my car. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Before mounting the shock to the car...are the springs loose? Like..is there space between the spring and top hat?
Old 12-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I have the same driveway situation and my inside rear does the same thing, and no its not going to hurt your diff. Your diff is designed to power independent wheels under light throttle/load. Your just riding the bump stops in this situation and don't have enough free travel on the opposite end to keep the wheel firmly on the ground in these more severe off camber situations, its not that uncommon.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 12-22-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Before mounting the shock to the car...are the springs loose? Like..is there space between the spring and top hat?
I didn't install them myself but I would assume my mechanic put everything together right.. I don't hear any weird noises or anything and both sides are at the same height
Old 12-22-2016, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I have the same driveway situation and my inside rear does the same thing, and no its not going to hurt your diff. Your diff is designed to power independent wheels under light throttle/load. Your just riding the bump stops in this situation and don't have enough free travel on the opposite end to keep the wheel firmly on the ground in these more severe off camber situations, its not that uncommon.
Would getting a set of coilovers and setting them at the same height as I am right now avoid this or not? I'm thinking the rear coilover might have enough travel to reach the ground but I'm not sure...

What's your driveway strategy? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky

**not enough droop
Old 12-22-2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by chinoamigo
I didn't install them myself but I would assume my mechanic put everything together right.. I don't hear any weird noises or anything and both sides are at the same height

it doesn't have anything to do with proper or improper.

CR springs are about 1" shorter than base model springs (depending on year). You asked him to put them in the lower perch. So...they may be loose.

If the springs are loose (they might be if put on the lower perch), then your suspension will not have the DROOP travel it needs.

It probably doesn't have enough compression travel either...but thats a completely different issue.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:14 AM

it doesn't have anything to do with proper or improper.

CR springs are about 1" shorter than base model springs (depending on year). You asked him to put them in the lower perch. So...they may be loose.

If the springs are loose (they might be if put on the lower perch), then your suspension will not have the DROOP travel it needs.

It probably doesn't have enough compression travel either...but thats a completely different issue.
With the CR springs being 1" shorter, does that mean that the ride height is 1" lower than stock? I have an 02 BTW. I thought that the lower perch would only drop by .5-.75 inch but after installed they feel like they were dropped way more than that.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by chinoamigo
With the CR springs being 1" shorter, does that mean that the ride height is 1" lower than stock? I have an 02 BTW. I thought that the lower perch would only drop by .5-.75 inch but after installed they feel like they were dropped way more than that.

a stock CR is the same height (roughly) as a base S2000. The springs are shorter but also stiffer. The delete CR is also slightly lighter.

But you're putting them on a base model. Which, theoretically would sit a tiny bit lower with CR springs installed.

The lower perch is like 20mm lower on the shock. Or 3/4".

The motion ratio of the suspension would magnify that. In the back (using SBG motion ratios), moving the spring 3/4" lower would make the car 1.3" lower. PLUS the fact that you're removing preload from the spring may get you a bit lower than that. PLUS the removal of the air spring since you're using Konis and not stock shocks.

It probably lowered the car like....1.5" to 1.75"?
Old 12-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

**not enough droop
The sways bars will usually keep the wheel from full droop capability even if it has more. The biggest issue is overall limited suspension stroke and a lot of that is bump limited on opposite corner from the wheel that's spinning. If he disconnected the rear sway bar, there is a good chance it would solve the problem, but that would be silly. My point is, don't worry about it as long as he can still get up his driveway.

No, a different set of coilovers is no guaranteed fix. Like I said, its not an uncommon problem, its the nature of the platform. High angle off camber situations don't favor this platform. Its not a regular car. You literally have 3" of total travel and half of that is taken up from the weight of the car, wile also having stiff sway bars limiting droop travel wile one end is fully compressed. The suspension is short and stiff. Stock suspension at stock ride height can have the same problem in more severe angles. Its all relative.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 12-22-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel lifts going up driveways/Suspension travel