S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Recommended sporty street brake pads for street use/autoX/canyon carving?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmmm....

Quite a bit better.

After 150* the S/R has more bite and carries another 300-400* past the HP+.

I wonder how the street manners are.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Hmmm....

Quite a bit better.

After 150* the S/R has more bite and carries another 300-400* past the HP+.

I wonder how the street manners are.

They're semi metallic performance "track capable" pads. So I assume streetability is bad. Corrosive dust....and likely some noise and rotor wear when cold.

Stoptech Sports are streetable ~1300F pads. Cheap. Effective. Cleanable dust. But no bite.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arctic_blue83
Thanks for the detailed review!

When it comes to street driving, how much squeal are we talking? Any idea how the squeal compares to HP+ pads? The squeal on the HP+ pads drove me nuts. If they're about on par, I should probably consider a different pad.
I've never used Hawk pads so i can't compare.

On the OEM rotor it was bad enough to sound like the safety sound on a OEM pad and enough for my girlfriend (and me) to be annoyed. The volume would be progressive. After a track event, no sound for a few weeks. Then a light squeal for a couple of weeks to the safety sound. Worst on light braking application - red light to red light style of driving. I don't do canyon runs as i live in the heart of Sydney. I reckon i could clear the sound if i did a 'nasho' run (national park run - aussie slang tip for the day for canyon run). Would just need to get the pads up to temp for a bit.

My last track day was in May and with the DBAs i can barely hear it. I've done about 2000KM (1250 miles) since. I can hear the squeal with the window open a tad but not enough for me to care and i doubt anyone in the passenger seat could hear it.

Additionally, i get one more sound which is allowing the car to roll backwards down a hill with the break applied. The initial movement will create a very unusual sound like an elephant. I have a steep driveway with a very tall wall next to it which creates a tunnel effect. I only ever hear it in my driveway. Maybe a combination of first use of brakes when cold, going backwards and the echo effect i have.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

For the record, I ended up going with a set of Hawk Street 5.0 pads. I've bedded them in and have been driving around for a couple of days now. Thus far, they're exactly what I was looking for.

They definitely seem to have more stopping power than the OEM pads, but are very easy to modulate and not nearly as grabby as the Hawk HP+ pads. They have a very progressive feel to them, which I appreciate on the street. They really seem to be about halfway between OEM and the HP+. I'm sure they would be garbage on the track, but that's not why I bought them.

I haven't noticed any noise thus far, but it's only been a couple of days. I was very liberal with the brake lube and followed Hawk's instructions on bedding them in to the letter.

I'll drive around on them for a few weeks, and maybe try to get in some canyon carving action to see how they handle spirited street/canyon driving; but thus far, I'm impressed. I'll write a detailed review in a few weeks to inform you guys if they pickup any noises or start dusting like crazy. So far, initial impressions are good for a street pad.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

DS2500's will leave pad deposits when overheated on track. I'm really surprised they aren't doing it on the rear of an S2000, as an E36 M3 I had would get too hot up front in about 10-12 mins on track (Road Atlanta). The deposits would be so thick after a weekend that I'd have to throw the rotors away. There really weren't any streetable track pads back then, so I suffered through over temping the DS2500's way too much.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DefSport
DS2500's will leave pad deposits when overheated on track. I'm really surprised they aren't doing it on the rear of an S2000, as an E36 M3 I had would get too hot up front in about 10-12 mins on track (Road Atlanta). The deposits would be so thick after a weekend that I'd have to throw the rotors away. There really weren't any streetable track pads back then, so I suffered through over temping the DS2500's way too much.
I think the tracks i go to are easy on brakes. Next time i go, ill take some photos pre and post session.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After autoxing the S2k this year (including nationals), my brakes need improvement. Tried new stock brake pads in spring - (the new Civic Si fronts) -they have less than confidence inspiring stopping power from 65+ to 25MPH and pads overheated and chunked away in short time (brand new rotors at same time). Next - Hawk HPS 5.0. Slightly better than stock and no overheating, but overall lack of stopping power (255/40x17 Re71R / Rival S1.5 on 17x9). I've run HP+ previously in 3000lb autox cars and liked, them, but corrosion was disappointing and would like to approach similar performance but without corrosion. It seems that autoxer's seem to migrate towards Carbotech AX6, Ferodo 2500 and a few others like Winmax W3/2 + others. If mu (coefficient of friction) is indication of stopping power at a given temp, shouldn't the HPS 5.0 be better than the F2500? HPStreet 5.0 mu is ~0.45 @ 250F and goes up to ~ 0.54, while the F2500 is ave 0.42 across the range. I could not find a mu graph for the AX6, but someone cited it at ~ 0.49 linear. I'd like to try the F2500 or the AX6, but based on available data, they look to be no better than the HP Street 5.0. Thoughts?

Last edited by suprajayaz; 09-27-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Unless the formulation on the DS2500's have changed, I thought they were pretty soft on bite when cold. Similar to a Stoptech Sport, but less high heat capacity, and I'd dare say a bit less linear on brake torque vs. pedal pressure and on release - but it's been 15 years since I've run them, so things are hazy.

I wasn't that impressed with them, and they were very expensive. There are way better pads out there now.

I've seen the Raybesto EHT pads talked about for having really nice bite and good fade resistance. That seems like everything you need in an autox pad - and they're cheap.