S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Removing front LCA's.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing front LCA's.

So, I'm currently attempting to remove my front, passenger lower control arm.

I have removed the horizontal bolt but I am now stuck on the back bolt. The Vertical one. Ive tried multiple sockets and wrenches. It absolutely does not budge.
Tomorrow, I'm going to purchase some Pb Blaster and a breaker bar, to see if that does the trick.
However, after many attempts to remove the bolt, it seems like I have stripped it a bit. My next step is to hit it with a torch and see if that loosens it a bit. Maybe hit it with a torch after I leave it soaked in PB Blaster for a couple of hours.

https://robrobinette.com/S2000Bushings.htm

Referring to the link up above, if I'm not mistaken, it is saying to remove the cam collar (E) before the flange bolt (F)?

To me, that does not make sense. Im attempting to remove the flange bolt(F) as it seems the cam collar (E) would be removed after that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it seems like this bolt is completely seized.

I have not tried using a torch or pb blaster with a breaker bar. That is the next step. Any suggestions and am I doing this correctly?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Do not try to loosen the collar (E) without removing the bolt (F) first.
Are you trying to loosen this bolt separately but it wont budge?
The cam collar is most likely rusted together inside the bushing but the bolt (F) should be easy to remove.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:53 PM

Yes, I'm trying to remove the bolt. It absolutely does not budge. I already removed the horizontal bolt, no problem. I'm currently stuck on the vertical one.

Just sprayed it with some PB Blaster. Hit it with a 3 pound hammer, sprayed some more pb on it. Going to let it sit for a few minutes then I'm going to hit it with a torch.

Hopefully that does the trick.

Thanks for the response.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

This is called the Compliance Bushing. Search that term and you'll find loads of stories on how the bolt gets frozen, and what to do about it. Often it requires cutting bolt out with a sawzall. Yeah.

Honda did not lube the bolt shaft, so it seizes to inside sleeve of bushing. If its really seized solid, no recourse but surgery.

Be sure to lube entire new bolt with antiseize!

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

You have to hold the collar with a 24mm wrench, then with a 17 and a big ass breaker bar you can loosen the bolt. To pull the collar you have to use some angled needle nose pliers and try to wiggle it out.

But if it's seized then you'll have to use an angle grinder and cut the sleeve above and below the arm and replace the bushing.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I left it sitting soaked in PB Blaster for a couple of days. Beat the shit out of it with a hammer, torched it.... And the bolt just ended up getting stripped. Had no choice but to cut the bolt.
Headed to Home Depot to pick up some thick metal cutting blades for my sawzall.

Now, I'm just waiting for Honda to open so I can go buy the bolt haha.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

You're better off buying the bolt online. Also, there are these sockets called grip-tite sockets, they'll probably ruin the bolt but it's better than having to cut stuff.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:34 PM

I don't think any socket would have worked. One of my sockets actually cracked and split open.

Yeah, no dealer around has the bolt and collar in stock.
Ordered the parts, should be here on Tuesday.
I was looking forward to getting the S back on the road this weekend. Oh, well.