S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Replaced old OEM sway bushings; do they need to be lubed?

Old 11-21-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Replaced old OEM sway bushings; do they need to be lubed?

Again, I just replaced my 13 year old sway bar bushings, with new OEM ones.
Do they need to be lubed with silicon grease when installed?

Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-22-2017, 03:22 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

No. You don't want to attract debris.

a VERY thin layer of shin ehtsu might be ok. But you'd want it so thin that its just a ghost layer.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:46 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

I replaced my bars with oem units from a different year (stiffer). I lubed the bushings with a thin layer of silicone grease. My thinking was the bar must rotate and slide inside the bushing, and lube would help. Agree that lube can attract grit, which can then grind its way into whatever you were trying to protect with lube. But in this situation its a pretty tight fit, so thinking it would be difficult for grit to make its way in there.

This bushing application is distinctly different from say, a control arm bushing, which you should never lube. There is no friction from metal rubbing rubber in a ca bushing.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this thinking B, and others thoughts, on whether I'm overlooking something.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I replaced my bars with oem units from a different year (stiffer). I lubed the bushings with a thin layer of silicone grease. My thinking was the bar must rotate and slide inside the bushing, and lube would help. Agree that lube can attract grit, which can then grind its way into whatever you were trying to protect with lube. But in this situation its a pretty tight fit, so thinking it would be difficult for grit to make its way in there.

This bushing application is distinctly different from say, a control arm bushing, which you should never lube. There is no friction from metal rubbing rubber in a ca bushing.

Interested to hear your thoughts on this thinking B, and others thoughts, on whether I'm overlooking something.

No...you're not overlooking anything. And there is merit to the thought that the bar is constantly rubbing the bushing. The only issue with silicone grease/paste in this case is that it attracts junk.

I'd be interested to see what the manual recommends.

Shin Ehtsu is silicone grease that Honda designed for rubber seals. But any silicone paste...including silicone caliper grease and dielectric grease will do a similar job.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:43 PM

I had to retorque the endlinks and noticed the front sway bushings had twisted... I really hope they settle back in their intended positions. It was a pain to get the bolts initially threaded onto those bushing brackets.

If they don't move back, I'll take them off, clean them and put a really light layer of silicon grease.

The helms manual doesn't mention anything about lubing the bushings.

Last edited by manystyles; 11-22-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:05 AM

Received 345 Likes on 322 Posts

I put plenty of white marine grease on mine to help bush binding and water getting in there corroding the wear area,
if it wears slightly faster,so be it, doubt it will though as I can wipe & re-grease when needed in situ.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by manystyles
I had to retorque the endlinks and noticed the front sway bushings had twisted... I really hope they settle back in their intended positions. It was a pain to get the bolts initially threaded onto those bushing brackets.

If they don't move back, I'll take them off, clean them and put a really light layer of silicon grease.

The helms manual doesn't mention anything about lubing the bushings.
Are you sure you have the right sized D brackets and bushings for your bar? These shouldn't bind. They should have relatively little "squeeze" on them.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:00 AM

Yup, https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...6-s2a-013.html

I remember putting the d brackets over the bushing and the bracket pinched them ever so slight for a nice fit.

Again, I'll monitor the fronts. If they don't settle back into position I'll remove and lightly lube.