S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

reviews on tein flex z?

Old 10-05-2016, 12:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default reviews on tein flex z?

my hipermax 3 right rear shock started making noise and i think they are going to go soon so i am looking for a replacement for daily use.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:54 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

There was one guy on this forum that had them on his S2000 and really liked them.

Tein's new street line is really good. I have been using the SA on my daily for about 55-60K miles....and they just wore out. Not bad at all for lifespan.

The Flex Z is probably better in terms of quality and ride than any other sub $1k coilover. I wouldn't track them....but they'd probably work OK on track anyway.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Aright I got the flex z on order will have review in the next coming month I try to compare them to my other coilovers I been through
Old 11-03-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also heard good things about the new Flex Z.

I wished they were available when I bought my cheaper coils, but now I'm looking at getting the Mono Sports.

One of the nice things about those Flex Z, is you can buy new shock absorber cartridge when one starts going bad. AND they're EDFC compatible!

Definitely keep us updated.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by S2KiChad
Aright I got the flex z on order will have review in the next coming month I try to compare them to my other coilovers I been through
Could you please let us know what you think of the Flex z. I just ordered a set of 17's and will be needing some suspensions and actually these where the ones I was looking on Evasive Motorsports website as well. Thanks
Old 11-21-2016, 10:26 PM

I am also looking at getting these seems to be decent for the price range.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Bump! Any grab these yet? Very nice price and features. Camber plates also included and edfc compatible all for 650-700usd! Not bad. I'll get me a set when tax money gets in
Old 01-11-2017, 05:01 PM

they do not come with camber plates. There is no S2000 suspension that comes with camber plates.

They're Tein's economy line suspension. Made in Japan, according to their website.

Sealed, non rebuildable (not that it matters, because who the f*$k rebuilds a sub $1000 coilover anyway?), steel upper plates - so they'll be heavy, and 16 damper settings. But if I know Tein's street stuff, only like...6 of those clicks are useful for humans. Not because the clicker doesn't work (it works well), but anything softer than -6 is pretty marshmallowey.

Pretty much a very basic system. But it comes with excellent rust proofing, good enough features, and is engineered by a reputable company. Probably the best cheap full adjustable system out there.

If you're not looking to spend money...they will work fine.

Last edited by B serious; 01-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
they do not come with camber plates. There is no S2000 suspension that comes with camber plates.

They're Tein's economy line suspension. Made in China *I believe*. Their non-Z line stuff is all made in Japan.

Sealed, non rebuildable (not that it matters, because who the f*$k rebuilds a sub $1000 coilover anyway?), steel upper plates - so they'll be heavy, and 16 damper settings. But if I know Tein's street stuff, only like...6 of those clicks are useful for humans. Not because the clicker doesn't work (it works well), but anything softer than -6 is pretty marshmallowey.

Pretty much a very basic system. But it comes with excellent rust proofing, good enough features, and is engineered by a reputable company. Probably the best cheap full adjustable system out there.

If you're not looking to spend money...they will work fine.
To play devils advocate for a sec, I do plan on rebuilding my Koni yellows and ground control coilover setup (custom 550lb springs front and back) which was sub $1k

I think that is the only sub $1k coilover setup brand new for the s2000 that is worth it at all. Ive had Tein Flex on RSX before, and it was meh. For a 99% street car, it'll be fine. Having done a handful of trackdays now, I am blown away how well Koni/GC setup has done so far.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by mojo_jojo77777
To play devils advocate for a sec, I do plan on rebuilding my Koni yellows and ground control coilover setup (custom 550lb springs front and back) which was sub $1k

I think that is the only sub $1k coilover setup brand new for the s2000 that is worth it at all. Ive had Tein Flex on RSX before, and it was meh. For a 99% street car, it'll be fine. Having done a handful of trackdays now, I am blown away how well Koni/GC setup has done so far.
Koni/GC's are a great budget setup...and you'll be hard pressed to find a better value. That being said....

There's no point in rebuilding Konis back to stock specs.

Price of new Koni yellows = $600-650 shipped
0 down time. And you can sell the used ones for their residual value.

Price of rebuild = $125ish/corner plus shipping both ways. So...about $600.
Weeks of down time.

If you're having them adjust the valving or shorten the shocks, etc...its a different story. But we are also looking at way more $$$$$$.

BUT....

The Flex Z isn't aimed at people who want to customize rates or track the car. Its for people who want a simplified solution to lower the car agressively (something Konis cannot do) with an adjustable damping range.

They're a simple, pre-engineered, bolt-in without thinking type of solution.

The one distinct advantage they have over Konis in any case is the corrosion proofing. The coating on Konis couldn't be worse if it was made out of M&M hard candy shells.

FWIW, Tein sells sub $1K coilovers that CAN be rebuilt and customized in terms of valving to match custom rates. Unfortunately, they do not come with the same lifetime warranty as Konis do. And Konis are cheaper/easier to customize.

Last edited by B serious; 01-12-2017 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply: reviews on tein flex z?