S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Rotor vibration, NEED HELP!!!!

Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor vibration, NEED HELP!!!!

Hello everyone
Im new to s2ki so sorry for any mistakes. I have had this problem for about a year now and i cant get rid of it so im trying to find any help that i can. This as probably been talked about a million times here but i need help since ive got a trackday comin up by the end of the month and i cant find a solution.
I have lowered my s2k about a year ago and soon after that ive changed the oem rotors to dixcel sd with project mu hc800 brake pads in the front and ns400 in the back. Soon after that they started vibrating to the point where i could feel it in the brake pedal and steering wheel ( coming from the front of the car). I changed to the oem rotors after that and they too started vibrating after a few weeks. The dixcel's where machined and ended up vibrating again. The only thing that remains to be changed are the brake pads but im not sure if thats the problem. Ive also sandpaper the surface of the dixcel's but the problem remains.
Can someone help out with a different solution maybe? :/
Thank you for the help in advance.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Vibrations are usually from pad deposits. The pad puts down an uneven layer on the rotor and you get a vibration.

Are these being used on a race track?

Did you bed the pads?

Are you using a torque wrench when installing your wheels?

Are your hubs flat?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=B serious;24508303]Vibrations are usually from pad deposits. The pad puts down an uneven layer on the rotor and you get a vibration.

Are these being used on a race track?

Did you bed the pads?

Are you using a torque wrench when installing your wheels?

No race track use, only have done one trackday with them :/
First time the vibration happened i didnt do a proper beding but when it was machined i did but still happened. Im gonna try to do it again now that i have sandpaper them. The wheels where installed with a normal wrench but ive changed the wheels today and it was all done in a proper garage with proper tools.
thank you for your help.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

If you use the brakes hard, get them all hot, then come to a complete stop and sit there for a min or so, the hot rotor will bake some pad material onto that spot. This will create a high spot which if it happens often enough, will cause the very scenario you are describing. Everything is fine at first, then the vibes start. A rotor chang or rotor machining fixes it, but then it comes back.

Another similar scenario is letting the car sit. If you have semi-metallic pads, sitting can cause them to rust bond to the rotor. So much so that there is an audible pop as the pads break free when you first try and take off after the car has sat. I have to imagine this also leads to vibe inducing high spots.

Do either of these scenarios above occur with your car?
Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 PM

The first scenario seems more likely.
Ive ordered new rotors and hope that after beding and all that the problem will be fixed.
Is it a problem to use the same pads as before?
Any tips to avoid this scenario again?
Thank you for your help.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Avoid coming to a complete stop after getting the brakes real hot. If you get stuck at a light, try doing a right turn on red even if you weren't going that way. If you have no choice but to stop, stop farther back, and inch up, so pads aren't sitting in one spot the whole time.

Or, avoid getting them that hot on the street in the first place. At the track do a cool down lap and stay off the brakes as much as possible.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd personally buy a new cheap set of rotors and try a different compound. I fought this problem on my tsx for years and found that machining rotors never fixed the problem.

Eventually landed on a rotor / pad compound which didn't have the problem.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:11 PM

Thank you all for the help and tips. I ordered a set os RPB slotted rotors and im going to try them with the project mu pads that i have since they still are almost new, hope this solves the problem along with proper beding and more care when it comes to heat on the rotors. Thanks again and ill be giving feedback in the future for anyone that might have this problem or a similar one.