S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

S2000 roll center discussion

Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by gptoyz' timestamp='1459189864' post='23921347
0 to minimal spring preload and using the ride height adjuster to adjust ride height.
I confused by what you meant by that. Every coilover I've seen has a thread on or over the barrel of the shock which holds one spring seat and the other side is fixed.

To the best of my understanding, the position of the seat on the threaded section (which is the lower section on an S2000 but some other cars run inverted shocks) is a function of spring length, spring rate, ride height, and cross weight. If the rate is high or wheel travel in droop high (which it often is for a lowered car) the spring may unseat in droop and a low-rate 'helper' spring is added. These low rate helper springs are full compressed in normal operation. If the spring rate is low or wheel travel limited the spring may needed to be compressed for installation, even at full droop. Stock springs with an independent suspension are usually like this and many oval track cars running big bar/soft spring or bump spring configurations will also have very soft main springs, at least on the front.

BBO, is this car also a daily driver or frequent weekend car, or primarily a track day car?

An interesting note on camber. Roger Caddell of AIM Sports, which sells data acquisition stuff and dashboards, said at a seminar last fall that when setting up his son's Mustang for a Ford Mustang Challenge series their data showed more camber was always better. The went to the point where his son Andy complained the car was hard to stop. On the street, excessive camber leads to tire wear. In the Solo II S/B and STR class drivers most seem to go for close to the maximum possible, possibly matching the rear closer to the front rather than take it to its max.
Here is the ohlins DFV

Here is the KW v3

The ride height adjustment on the v3 is made via the spring perch, at some point, you will be adding preload to the spring

Oh the ohlins, for example, the whole damper is threaded. Spring preload and ride height are independently adjustable. To adjust ride height you rotate the whole damper body (I've never tinkered with the DFV), not the spring perch. Btw, I'm not saying one is better than the other. Sometimes, more adjustment just makes things overly complicated if you are lazy like myself.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,
Very interesting debate and inputs.

Has somebody finally measured up the pick up points of the suspension and uprights? I would be very interested in knowing this numbers please to run some calculations also and would happily share the results here.

It seems like users "robinson" and "nmrado" were actually considering measuing them up and do some analysis with WinGeo, correct?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2016, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,
Very interesting debate and inputs.

Has somebody finally measured up the pick up points of the suspension and uprights? I would be very interested in knowing this numbers please to run some calculations also and would happily share the results here.

It seems like users "robinson" and "nmrado" were actually considering measuring them up and do some modelling and analysis with WinGeo, correct? Thanks