S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

S2000 Won't move.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy S2000 Won't move.

After the long winter of sitting, I went to start my S2k and the battery was dead. Ordered a battery and before installing I tried to start it again after I had put it on a charger. Started up fine so I left it run maybe 15 minutes figuring I might be able to move it somewhere easier to put the new battery in. I put it into reverse, it tried to go backwards but stalled out. I fired it up again thinking maybe I left the clutch out too fast, but the same result, I could feel the trans try to go back then it stalled. Tried a third time, but this time, I tried to go forward, stalled again. By now the battery pooped out so that was the last attempt until I replace it. However it hit me that it's on a slight incline that normally, in neutral, would have the car drift backward. I had my gf sit in the car in neutral and it wouldn't budge even with me pushing it.

I tried to find a section here for troubleshooting but couldn't sind a section and since it seems to have to be either brakes or trans and the trans seemed to be trying to move the car, I'm thinking possibly brakes. Anyone hear of this type issue?
Old 05-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Its the rear brakes, rusted to the rotors, since you left the e brake on in storage. Next time, use a goor, solid rubber wheel chock, and leave it gear, e brake off for storage.

Usually you can break it free with just a little extra clutch slip as you try to go. Nut if its really frozen, that migjt not be enough.

A huge breaker bar, with a socket on the hub nut, migjt do it...
Old 05-03-2017, 02:24 AM

Red face

Thanks C A, I thought it might be something like that. I my over 55 years of driving, this is a new one for me but it makes sense. I normally park the car on a flatter area of the drive. However, a big snow storm was expected and I moved it to it's current position to make it easier for snow removal and pulled the EB on so it didn't drift. I'll get the battery in today and see if I can't break it loose.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:36 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Parked outdoors over a snowy winter the rotors are rusted for sure and all 4 may need to be resurfaced or replaced if they don't clean up naturally with some driving. I had this happen to another car with 4-wheel discs but no parking brake applied and had to replace all 4. Once you free the rears from the parking brake drive it a while with your fingers crossed..

-- Chuck
Old 05-03-2017, 04:43 AM

Thanks guys, good to go. I took care of the battery issue and was aggressive with the clutch and gas and they broke loose. When I posted, I was pretty sure it was a brake issue but before I did anything stupid (tired of making that kind of mistake after almost 70 years), I thought I'd ask. I took it out for a spin and gave it some light braking while driving and it cleaned up pretty fast. Next year I'll block it rather than setting the hand brake.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I assume you're in the habit of setting your ebrake when you park? This will cause the rear pads to seize onto the rotor. If you can avoid this, it will save you from this. I never use my ebrake when parking on flat ground, just put it in gear.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:54 AM

Wink

Red Celica, I'm like you, I normally don't set it unless on an incline and I normally have the car on a flat area of my drive. However, with a snow storm approaching (which never amounted to much), I moved it in front of one of my other cars on an incline and set the brake. I left it there for a month, found the battery was weak, ordered one that took two weeks to arrive and then let it sit for another couple weeks until I actually needed the car. I'll probably park it in the same area next winter because it makes cleaning the drive much easier, but this time, I'll chock the wheels.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rothenbj
Red Celica, I'm like you, I normally don't set it unless on an incline and I normally have the car on a flat area of my drive. However, with a snow storm approaching (which never amounted to much), I moved it in front of one of my other cars on an incline and set the brake. I left it there for a month, found the battery was weak, ordered one that took two weeks to arrive and then let it sit for another couple weeks until I actually needed the car. I'll probably park it in the same area next winter because it makes cleaning the drive much easier, but this time, I'll chock the wheels.
Ah I just saw your explanation above. Sorry for beating a dead horse in your thread. My car sat for 2 months with the ebrake on, and driving it the first time it sounded like I backed into a bomb when it finally moved. It didn't resist moving, but was really loud. Never again!