S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Spoon calipers vs. Stoptech BBK

Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot's of misinformation on this thread........
Old 10-30-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakersfan,Oct 30 2010, 04:29 PM
Lot's of misinformation on this thread........

I own spoon calipers

They stop the same as oem but oem does feel better

No bbk stops better than oem, sometimes worse because the pads people use are designed to be useful at higher temps and bigger calipers require more fluid to move the pistons vs the single sliding caliper that is stock.

If I was spending my money again I would have bought alot of other things before the calipers but they look great so I'm keeping them
Old 10-30-2010, 08:31 PM

ABS uses a sensor that reads the notches off of the hub (there are 50). Any caliper/rotor combination you put on will still allow the ABS system to still read from the wheel sensor.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 PM

You are correct and that is just one piece of misinformation in this thread. Stoptech BBK's have no impact on the ABS system of any car because no changes to the sensors or ABS hydraulics are made. ABS measures wheel speed/lock up via sensors on the hub (in Honda's case). The sensors are not on the rotors or calipers. Any reputable manufacturer of BBK's (like Stoptech) has white papers, etc. on their sites to explain how such systems will impact the friction system of a car.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lakersfan,Oct 30 2010, 10:46 PM
You are correct and that is just one piece of misinformation in this thread. Stoptech BBK's have no impact on the ABS system of any car because no changes to the sensors or ABS hydraulics are made. ABS measures wheel speed/lock up via sensors on the hub (in Honda's case). The sensors are not on the rotors or calipers. Any reputable manufacturer of BBK's (like Stoptech) has white papers, etc. on their sites to explain how such systems will impact the friction system of a car.
i assume this is the paper you refer to:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakekits.shtml

per the article, stoptech's system is compatible with abs due to the overall balance and design, including calipers and rotors, not because abs sensors and hydraulics remain unchanged.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 AM

You are correct. Here's another link to a summary of individual reference documents:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#17

http://stoptech.com/proven_technology/test_wins.shtml

BTW - I have a few friends that work for the company (full disclosure) so, as you can imagine, discussions about friction come up all of the time . That said, I'm no expert - just an informed novice.

I'm not knocking other brands but how many company CEOS's are professional race car drivers and use their own products on the track? Take a look at their web site and you will see. The leadership team of this company are all passionate car guys. They not only work hard, they play hard.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakersfan,Oct 31 2010, 12:18 PM
I'm not knocking other brands but how many company CEOS's are professional race car drivers and use their own products on the track? Take a look at their web site and you will see. The leadership team of this company are all passionate car guys. They not only work hard, they play hard.
That is some pretty cool stuff.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakersfan,Oct 31 2010, 09:18 AM
You are correct. Here's another link to a summary of individual reference documents:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#17

http://stoptech.com/proven_technology/test_wins.shtml

BTW - I have a few friends that work for the company (full disclosure) so, as you can imagine, discussions about friction come up all of the time . That said, I'm no expert - just an informed novice.

Spoon CEO was racing since 70's FYI. Spoon was formed in 80's.

Also many people seems to want BBK for the wrong reasons. BBK's won't necessary stop any shorter than OEM. But the main reason for any BBK is for consistency. Same braking distance over and over, same brake feel over and over is what BBK can provide over OEM.

In fact, if anyone wants shorter stopping distance only, don't bother with BBK, but get better tires. Tires is what will allow you to have a shorter braking distance, not calipers and rotors.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:33 PM

Agree on buying BBK's for the wrong reason. One could argue that I bought an S2K for the wrong reason as I have no intention to track or autocross it.

As for for my reference to the CEO be a professional racer, I just stated a fact and I will take your word on the Spoon CEO. From what I know, Spoon makes all sorts of aftermarket parts whereas Stoptech's primary focus is on friction. The parent company is a friction company. I know that this started out as Sppon vs. Stoptech but can you argue that they are comparable (i.e, Spoon makes a BBK?). Doesn't Spoon make upgrade components for the S2K vs. a true BBK?

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that some of the misinformation regarding ABS and non-balanced systems was corrected. I have nothing to gain either way.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzuka_Joe,Oct 30 2010, 06:06 PM

I own spoon calipers

They stop the same as oem but oem does feel better

No bbk stops better than oem, sometimes worse because the pads people use are designed to be useful at higher temps and bigger calipers require more fluid to move the pistons vs the single sliding caliper that is stock.

If I was spending my money again I would have bought alot of other things before the calipers but they look great so I'm keeping them
x2 I bought spoon calipers, rotors, and stainless lines and as far as street driving goes I can't tell one bit of difference other than the pedal is ever so slightly firmer. It looks baller behind my 19's though. If your about braking performance get some better pads, upgrade the fluid, get the stainless braded lines. If you like the bling get the big brake kit. I like the bling

Quick Reply: Spoon calipers vs. Stoptech BBK