S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Spoon calipers vs. Stoptech BBK

Old 12-10-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nate7,Oct 28 2010, 02:47 PM
The stopping distance between stock and a BBK during one stop will be almost identical. It's the ability to dissipate heat during repeated hard braking that is where a BBK will stand out. For street driving they both will just be for looks but I'd rather have the Stoptech kit because at least you know the performance is there if you ever needed it.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 PM

the reason you get a BBK is for more consistent stops over longer periods of time, not more braking power
Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by A51_AP1,Oct 28 2010, 03:22 PM
Here is what I have found on the differences:

1. Spoon utilizes a OEM S2000 pad and rotor. Getting pads for a OEM caliper are much cheaper than for Stoptechs; as well as the rotors.

2. Spoon still allows the proper use of ABS. Because of the sizing of the caliper on the Stoptech, it does not proper engage the ABS in the S2000.

3. Stoptech's larger rotors dissipate heat much better than the OEM S2000 rotor and the larger rotor has an increase capacity to handle higher heat.

4. Both offer shorter stopping distances

5. Stoptechs will require you to find a balance between the front and rear pad setups.

I chose the Brembo BBK for the benefit of having a larger rotor, shorter stopping distances, and the ability to retain the ABS system working in full capacity. Most people don't know that when they install BBK's most kits aren't designed to keep the ABS system. Hope that helps!
I agree!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:48 PM

anybody tried using RL calipers? or even TL-S. gotta be cheaper then stoptech or spoon set up

Mikhael
Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Spoons on my car. Bought them because I like Spoon, no other reason. I'm gonna be honest.

Stoptech makes a good product though. Fitment will likely be easier with any larger diameter wheel due to clearance issues between the caliper face and spoke/hub design of most wheels. Spoons will work with their ultralight 16" wheels and will work with the AP1's 16" wheels, vs Stoptech you are required to get a larger diameter wheel. For most of us here who are looking at brake upgrades, I don't think wheel diameter will be an issue as most of us are running larger aftermarket wheels.

If the lines are bled properly, there is a very noticeable difference between pedal feel of OEM vs the Spoons. I was not able to test feel a car with the stoptechs. This test was done on two different cars back to back within minutes of each other. I don't think stopping distance would be really any better than OEM with Spoons, however, one thing to consider is that Spoons are 4 piston vs a single piston and slider. I've seen on my own pads flex wear on the pads, and inconsistent wear. That's coming from checking them on two different S2000s I've owned. With four pistons, even distribution of wear on OEM pads, or OEM-sized pads will give better performance in the long run, but so will the Stoptechs with their own pads.

From what others who have upgraded brakes have told me, the Stainless hoses make the biggest difference. Then calipers.

I don't want to seem like I was an idiot for buying Spoon calipers, but Stoptech makes a good product, and for a lot of logical reasons, will likely be the better buy than Spoon calipers. You could make a logical case either way depending on how you look at things and what you want out of it.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mountain-man,Dec 23 2010, 01:35 PM
I don't want to seem like I was an idiot for buying Spoon calipers, but Stoptech makes a good product, and for a lot of logical reasons, will likely be the better buy than Spoon calipers. You could make a logical case either way depending on how you look at things and what you want out of it.
Naw.... the Spoons are good stuff. They're monoblock, which is pretty special (For < $4k per axle, I think the only other BBK out there that are monoblocks are the Performance Friction's--even Stoptech is not a monoblock). Definitely a good alternative to a whole BBK like the Stoptech systems. The only big negative to the Spoons, besides price, would be the fact that you wouldn't be able to rebuild them in the US. Other than pads, as you said, the steel lines do make the most dramatic difference in feel, but the calipers certainly help.

For those who doubt, just remove your wheels and have someone press the brakes for you while you look at the calipers--you will not believe how much the oem's flex!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Orpheus,Dec 25 2010, 11:48 PM
Naw.... the Spoons are good stuff. They're monoblock, which is pretty special (For < $4k per axle, I think the only other BBK out there that are monoblocks are the Performance Friction's--even Stoptech is not a monoblock). Definitely a good alternative to a whole BBK like the Stoptech systems. The only big negative to the Spoons, besides price, would be the fact that you wouldn't be able to rebuild them in the US. Other than pads, as you said, the steel lines do make the most dramatic difference in feel, but the calipers certainly help.

For those who doubt, just remove your wheels and have someone press the brakes for you while you look at the calipers--you will not believe how much the oem's flex!
If OPAK Racing (Spoon USA) is still in business, I think you can get them rebuilt here. I know I asked them some pretty technical questions, and they had one pulled apart to answer them. (already dismantled)

I'm not sure, but I'm almost certain I'll need to send out my Spoon-Showa coilovers to Japan when it comes time for those to get rebuilt....

It'd be a real shame if OPAK went down the tube. They were a good business.