S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

ST Suspensions X coilover vs. Tein Flex Z

Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Generally the shock should be set to control the unsprung weight at that spring rate. Any more or less is going to likely compromise grip at various cornering phases or over bumps. I have DA Konis on my S13, and I probably haven't touched the knobs in 6 years. I set them to where they were good, experimented a little off that, and always turned faster lap times with them set the way they are, and just left them. So adjustable dampers aren't necessarily a huge benefit to me. I know a lot of people have to have knobs to twiddle, but as long as they're set ok, I don't mind. Especially if I have to take out a bunch of trunk liners to adjust the rears. I can confidently say I wouldn't want to bother with that once I got things feeling ok.

The PSS sound interesting to me... assuming they could take moving the front springs to the rear and a set of stiffer springs up front. That's in the event that I thought they were too soft.

But at that point, the ST X's look to have about the minimum rates that would work ok, and are cheaper than the PSS, and have a 5 year warranty. Just having a hard time finding a reason to knock them off the top step.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 AM

And looking into the Tein Monosports - probably more than I want to spend honestly.

There are enough options in the sub $1k range that I think I can pick something out that will be ok.

Sounds like this is the ranking so far:

1. ST X
2. Bilstein PSS
3. Tein Flex Z

The Teins have the easiest install, and I was planning to keep the stock stuff completely intact, but maybe that's not worth the effort given how much the bushings are from Honda. The PSS have a bit of an unknown on if the rate is actually up for going to the track even at higher ride heights. But maybe they have enough capacity to handling a small bump in spring rate front and rear? ST X's are cheaper than the PSS and have rates that will likely work.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 AM

Based on this: Vorshlag: E46 BMW Bilstein PSS vs PSS10 review - Vorshlag Motorsports Forum Looks like the default PSS damping (at least for an E46 application) can take a pretty stout increase in spring rate and still not lose control of the spring.

So maybe that would leave it open to move the front springs to the rear and get something closer to ~400-450 lb/in up front on the PSS if they're too soft.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by DefSport
Generally the shock should be set to control the unsprung weight at that spring rate. Any more or less is going to likely compromise grip at various cornering phases or over bumps. I have DA Konis on my S13, and I probably haven't touched the knobs in 6 years. I set them to where they were good, experimented a little off that, and always turned faster lap times with them set the way they are, and just left them. So adjustable dampers aren't necessarily a huge benefit to me. I know a lot of people have to have knobs to twiddle, but as long as they're set ok, I don't mind. Especially if I have to take out a bunch of trunk liners to adjust the rears. I can confidently say I wouldn't want to bother with that once I got things feeling ok.

The PSS sound interesting to me... assuming they could take moving the front springs to the rear and a set of stiffer springs up front. That's in the event that I thought they were too soft.

But at that point, the ST X's look to have about the minimum rates that would work ok, and are cheaper than the PSS, and have a 5 year warranty. Just having a hard time finding a reason to knock them off the top step.

Yes...but your S13 was bad on the street, good on track.

A track/street blend car with one suspension will/can benefit from adjustable shocks.

In a similar way, a lot of modern track/street cars come with factory adjustable shocks. Some are adjusted automatically...some manually.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Actually, the S13 rode great on the street for the suspension frequency. The ride quality was probably the best part of it. With the shocks turned down, it was good for 5+ hour drives to the track (with an exhaust silencer in). But even with them turned up, it arguably rides better than my AP1 in some respects. Koni 8611's and 550/475 lb/in springs, and spherical bearings everywhere which removes friction. But turning the shocks down does make it give that high frequency undamped "hop" after bumps. So I'm not convinced turning a knob and making the car seem under damped is everything for comfort, and it really depends on the valving and how much high speed it's taking off vs. low speed. But I've generally been happy with cars that have critically damped suspension on track and on street. Turning things down can definitely help the perception of ride comfort in some ways tho'...

And for the record, the S13 is horrible on the street because the crazy Tilton twin disk, "kinda loud" exhaust, and no AC (in TX this is rough, even in mid-March). The suspension is pretty sublime since it was my main focus.

The PSS9 adjuster is pretty garbage, so I'm not even sure having an adjuster on the shocks makes sense, and definitely not for $350. The Tein Flex Z - kinda hard to say if the adjuster is going to work well given it's a different product line. A few people at the track have Teins of various levels and they seem pretty decent, if maybe a bit overboard on high speed damping in general.

I wish somebody would measure the relative damper body lengths for stock vs. some of these off the shelf coilovers. An extra 0.5-1" of useful travel would pretty much seal the deal for me between these choices.
The following users liked this post:
S2-3456789-K (04-11-2021)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM

I plan to use about 1" total on my Ohlins via extra preload. And then go from there. That can be done with any full body coilover. Obviously, this sacrifices droop travel. So...if/once the car starts lifting a wheel at the track on corner exit acceleration, I will need to re-configure.

Maybe you'll find these measurements useful:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/my-s2000-suspension-thread-1166937/
Old 03-21-2017, 06:39 AM

That's the type of info I'd like to see of some of the cheaper dampers, but I'm guessing everybody just tosses them in without measuring things.

Based on this, it looks like the ST X rear damper is about the same length as a stocker, but I'm guessing a bit on where the factory damper ends.

I guess the trick is really making sure the damper have enough range to actually work, then making the bumpstop impact manageable for bumps while loaded up.

Maybe the Tein Flex Z is the shortest one of the lot and could get more travel with a decent amount of preload and the stiffer rates in the rear?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:39 AM

On second look, maybe the ST X rear damper is a tad shorter than the stocker, but how much is hard to tell with the stock dust cover.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:39 AM

STX is probably a little shorter...and its twin tube. So maybe the bumpstop is shorter. Which would all give you some added travel.

But, no external reservoir...so you rob a little travel there.

Maybe it evens out in the end. Which means you really wouldn't want to lower the car much.

V3's can take a decent drop. But...again, maybe the V3 shock is shorter, and the V3 definitely has external res's.

I think with any TÜV product, you'll have to lower it conservatively, and the bumpstops will be active...but the extension after hitting the bumpstop will likely be well controlled as a function of the damper.

The bumpstops are also tuned to gradually increase rate to prevent the sudden loading in compression.

Honestly, any S2000 system is going to use the bumpstops...and that shouldn't be the make or break. If its a quality system with a good setup, it'll return a faster, more driveable car.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:09 AM

I realize any S2000 system is likely to use the bumpstops in rough driving, but the trick is to not hit them often in normal weight transfer. I definitely had a few oversteer moments in certain corners if the car was loaded up too quickly. I had to really ease it over on the suspension to make it behave its way all the way down to the apex.

My S13 never hit the bumpstops in general track work, which was great, as the car was easy to drive everywhere as a result.

Quick Reply: ST Suspensions X coilover vs. Tein Flex Z