S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Brakes and Suspension (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/)
-   -   Steep Driveway Approach - suspension suggestions? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-brakes-suspension-249/steep-driveway-approach-suspension-suggestions-1199691/)

ep3minivan 02-06-2020 11:30 AM

Steep Driveway Approach - suspension suggestions?

The first few feet of my driveway is rather steep. I know how to properly get into and out of the driveway to minimize scraping, but I am running into a suspension travel issue. I currently have Swift springs on stock struts. The wheel that leads coming into the driveway has too much travel in the suspension. The wheel buries in the liner and makes it difficult to get in and out of the driveway.

I am coming from a 911 that had KW V3s. The suspension did not compress nearly as much and even thought that car was considerable lower it was much easier to make it in and out of the driveway without issue.

Is this a spring rate or suspension geometry issue? If it is suspension, can you recommend a coilover that is still very much a street setup that can limit my travel when fully loaded?

Thanks everyone!

Chuck S 02-06-2020 03:35 PM

Tried backing in? I have to do it at near idle speed with my unaltered suspension. I assume you're not stock though.

-- Chuck

ep3minivan 02-07-2020 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S (Post 24688994)
Tried backing in? I have to do it at near idle speed with my unaltered suspension. I assume you're not stock though.

-- Chuck

No. My driveway is only 2 stalls wide. The only scenario that could work with a steep driveway would be with a very wide opening at the bottom of the drive.

Car Analogy 02-07-2020 10:21 AM

Pretty much any coilover will allow height adjustment, and should allow adding height over what the Swift springs offer.

But two other alternatives to consider if you are otherwise happy with current suspension. With springs rates, damping, etc.

1. Ground Control coioover conversion kit. $500. Allows stock shocks and whatever springs you're using with them to become height adjustable, just like an aftermarket coilover.

2. Home made diy spacers under the spring mounts. Search for my thread, humorously titled S2000 lift kit. Cost about $20 and several hours of your time. Can safely and properly add however much added height you want to stock suspension. Not adjustable, so you gotta figure out how much to add, and do some maths...

ep3minivan 02-07-2020 10:43 AM

I don't think it is a ride height issue. It is a suspension travel issue. My 911 had almost 2" less of clearance with the front bumper and extended just as far in front of the front wheels without ever getting the wheel stuck against the inner fender.

Car Analogy 02-07-2020 10:51 AM

Both suggested options would increase travel along with added ride height.

The other option for increased travel is trimming the bump stops on the shock shaft. But this wouldn't improve a scraping issue.

If there is scraping, that is clearly a ride height issue, not a travel issue.

ep3minivan 02-07-2020 10:56 AM

Yeah, I don't have an issue with the front bumper clearance. I only have an issue with the tire being buried in the fender.

flanders 02-07-2020 01:41 PM

What wheels and tires are you running on?

B serious 02-07-2020 01:45 PM

Why do you care if the tire is buried in the fender?

Add stiffer springs if you want the suspension to compress less.

mikeyds 02-07-2020 02:20 PM

Look up driveway curb ramps, maybe that would help get over the entrance to your driveway without modifying suspension?