S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Stock springs with aftermarket shocks and struts

Old 02-20-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock springs with aftermarket shocks and struts

I am in search of some opinions from people that have kept the factory springs and gone with aftermarket shocks. What are your experiences with changes in ride quality and handling? I’ve been looking at Koni Sports. I’m open to other brands and look forward to Everyone’s input.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 1,246 Likes on 944 Posts

Koni Yellows are really well made shocks.

They're not monotubes like the OEM shocks are...and they are tuned to be a little more "driveable". So you may notice that they don't react as quickly as the stock shocks do. But you will definitely notice some improvement in ride quality. If you're using them for track/autocross work, you may also notice some added stability over bumps.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Does the car require modifications to make the sports for? Tire rack says minor mods are required. No mods for yh strt shocks koni makes.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 1,308 Likes on 990 Posts

The shaft on the koni yellows are thicker than stock. So the hole in the stock tophats need to be drilled out larger. Its hardened steel, so drillbit takes a beating. That is the only mod needed.

Since the konis have less compression damping than stock shocks, with the stock springs mounted to konis you'll get more nose dive on braking, etc. For this reason some people like to run stiffer than stock springs with the konis.

If you are ok with running a little lower than stock, Tire Rack sells a koni yellow and eibach spring combo for a good price.

If not ok with lowered, another option would be used CR springs. But not easy to find used. New ones, well now for that cost with the yellows you have better options.

One of those options might be Bilstein pss, the ones with fixed, non adjustable damping. About $1k. Like the koni, these have lifetime warranty. The springs are included. You will likely end up a little lower than stock on these. You can wind the preload up to achieve close to stock ride height, but then you start getting to point where you don't have enough droop. So a little lower than stock is where you ought to end up.

The options for stock replacement suspension, with performance equal to or better than stock new, with ride height equal to stock, are pretty slim. Best option to date has been low miles used stock suspension, which have always been plentiful, since so many swapped to aftermarket early. But these are becoming harder to find (though still avail, just have to be patient). But worse, they are starting to become old. At some point, even barely used stock suspension is going to suffer from aged rubber seals, etc.

If you are on a budget, and want stock performance, look around for used stock suspension. When that set wears out, well, you should be looking for your best aftermarket alternative.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:24 PM

Lol. This so much harder than I thought it would be. I come from cars with a huge aftermarket. It seems like the s2000 doesn’t have many options.
I just want to keep the stock height. It is starting to seem like that isn’t an option. I’m thinking the Koni Sports or Bilstein b14 pss might be my best options.
How much does the Bilstein pss b14 lower a car? Tire Rack says as little as nothing but most sites say 1/2 inch.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 1,246 Likes on 944 Posts

Not sure what you mean. The S2000 has a huge aftermarket following. And the answers to your questions are very simple. All this is very easy.

What are you trying to do? Just replace worn out shocks? Have you looked on a Honda website to just buy stock replacements? The stock shocks are quite good. Its as easy as ordering them.

The B14 should be able to keep you at or near stock height. You may have to accept a 1/2" drop. Easy peasy.

The stock springs will work fine with Konis. You'll need to drill the tophat bushings out with a 1/2" drill bit. That's very easy also. I was drilling things when I was just a boy. KnowwhatImean?!?!

Its just that the stock stuff is so good...that unless you have something specific in mind, the stock stuff works so well that aftermarket parts don't always make sense.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Define better what your goal or problem statement is so we can better help prescribe a remedy.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:39 PM

I didn’t mean to sound insulting. My other car is a mustang. There are probably hundreds of different options. I had an Audi A4 before that and it seemed everyone made suspension for it. My goals are to stay at stock ride height. I do not want to lower it all. I’d like to improve handling if possible. I don’t mind giving up some comfort. I had honestly considered being stock shocks again but I plan keeping this car forever and warranty seems to make this process less painful. I had Bilstein on my Audi with h and r springs and sways. I loved it. I felt it was the perfect balance. My mustang has Koni Sports and even on full soft, it can be rough over some roads. I was leaning towards the Bilstein till I started price shopping and saw that some sites listed it as a 1/2 drop.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

More options than you think just not sure what is the riddle you're solving for to improve handling, i.e. more under-steer, over-steer, etc... As you desire to stay at stock ride height you can swap the various springs and/or dampers from different generations of S2K into yours (do homework for doing it blindly). Also mentioned, the Koni's which I'd probably consider if staying at stock height needing new dampers.

I've recently purchased the SakeBomb Ohlin FPSport kit to hopefully improve track capability without sacrificing too much in ride quality, these can also ride at stock height but would be extreme overkill for street driving.

As already mentioned the stock suspension is really well sorted. My '06 stock suspension had 97K on it and not convinced I'll be unlocking huge gains at the track with the FPSPort (hope I'm wrong).

Last edited by lookstoomuch; 03-11-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 1,308 Likes on 990 Posts

Since you liked H&R on your other car, there os an H&R coilover made for the S. It uses the Bilstein pss, the one with fixed damping, no damping adjustment. To this they add their own springs, 345/345, f/r. A nice setup for the street. Stiffer than stock, but nothing crazy. Around what CR came with.

Same lifetime warranty on the damper that you get from Bilstein.

You can adjust preload, that is the only adjustment. Since there is no adjustable lower mount, preload also adjusts ride height and suspension travel/droop at the same time. I would just set them at highest practical ride height (that doesn't compromise droop too much) and be done with it. This will probably be like 1/2" lower than stock.

Personally I like these better than pss as it (and the adjustable pss9) use a much more front biased spring rate, 380/285, which is a recipe for understeer.

This is what I plan to get when my stock suspension wears out.

Quick Reply: Stock springs with aftermarket shocks and struts