S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Stock springs with aftermarket shocks and struts

Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Keep in mind that Bilsteins are zinc coated. I'm sure they are good dampers overall... but I like the peace of mind that my dampers that won't corrode in the long-run and over time.

My Ap1 has roughly 110k miles, and replacing the dampers someday is always in the back of my mind (as well as the clutch). I will most likely go OEM shocks for longevity, quality and sportiness. Koni I've read ride nice... but I don't want to lessen the agility of the S2k.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

If worried about corrosion (which shouldn't really be a problem if you don't drive on winter treated roads), them consider KW. They are made from Stainless, and the threaded adjuster is encased in plastic. The threads are also squared off, to prevent seizing (and to give a perch for the set screw they use to lock setting in place).

Zinc coating will get a patina, so they won't stay shiney new after time. But that won't affect performance. Plus theres a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the KWs lower the car? I’m looking to maintain stock rise height. Lol, I’m an old man and don’t want both my cars lowered. I’d there a performance option that doesn’t change the ride height?
Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 1,248 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Yknits18
I didn’t mean to sound insulting. My other car is a mustang. There are probably hundreds of different options. I had an Audi A4 before that and it seemed everyone made suspension for it. My goals are to stay at stock ride height. I do not want to lower it all. I’d like to improve handling if possible. I don’t mind giving up some comfort. I had honestly considered being stock shocks again but I plan keeping this car forever and warranty seems to make this process less painful. I had Bilstein on my Audi with h and r springs and sways. I loved it. I felt it was the perfect balance. My mustang has Koni Sports and even on full soft, it can be rough over some roads. I was leaning towards the Bilstein till I started price shopping and saw that some sites listed it as a 1/2 drop.
You weren't insulting.

I'm not sure if Mustangs have a bigger aftermarket following. The S2000 does certainly have a very large aftermarket following.

What options are you lacking?

The stock shocks should last 70-100K miles. They're monotube and have external reservoirs. So those should still be a viable option.

S2000's are also just very well sorted out in relation to suspension. The Mustang really isn't (no offense...I like Mustangs...but previous to 2015, stock mustangs are trash, no?).

The GOOD aftermarket options that improve upon the stock parts are what are lacking or rare. If the S2000 started out as awful, it'd be easy to improve it. So...you kinda have a beneficial problem on your hands.

An easy thing to remember about Hondas in general is that, while the OE replacement and performance aftermarket MASSIVELY exists....more than 95% of it is garbage. Never run "OE replacements"....and aftermarket performance parts usually give up something to gain something else. Maybe that's what you meant by this being difficult. And...yes...I agree with you. Its tough to find parts that don't belong in the dumpster.

However....The bilstein and the konis you asked for will work for you. They are both high quality products that are easy to install. I would say the Bilsteins are probably an improvement over the factory stuff in more ways than the Koni in this case.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
You weren't insulting.

I'm not sure if Mustangs have a bigger aftermarket following. The S2000 does certainly have a very large aftermarket following.

What options are you lacking?

The stock shocks should last 70-100K miles. They're monotube and have external reservoirs. So those should still be a viable option.

S2000's are also just very well sorted out in relation to suspension. The Mustang really isn't (no offense...I like Mustangs...but previous to 2015, stock mustangs are trash, no?).

The GOOD aftermarket options that improve upon the stock parts are what are lacking or rare. If the S2000 started out as awful, it'd be easy to improve it. So...you kinda have a beneficial problem on your hands.

An easy thing to remember about Hondas in general is that, while the OE replacement and performance aftermarket MASSIVELY exists....more than 95% of it is garbage. Never run "OE replacements"....and aftermarket performance parts usually give up something to gain something else. Maybe that's what you meant by this being difficult. And...yes...I agree with you. Its tough to find parts that don't belong in the dumpster.

However....The bilstein and the konis you asked for will work for you. They are both high quality products that are easy to install. I would say the Bilsteins are probably an improvement over the factory stuff in more ways than the Koni in this case.
Thank you for your reply. I am very interested in the Bilstein pss. I really just don’t want to lower it all. I love the height the car is stock. Does the Bilstein pss lower the car at all at the highest setting? I’ve read good and bad reviews of the Koni Sports. In what ways are they worse when using stock springs?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

I run the Koni yellow with CR springs on my S2K. Love it and they last. Stock ride heights using the regular perch location on the Koni. Best of luck. Later BD
Old 03-15-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

In my mind, the only real disadvantage of Koni yellow as a replacement for stock shocks (street application, factory ride height, etc) is their softer than stock compression damping (they also rust easily, which is really just an appearance issue).

If you run stock springs on Koni yellow, you will get more brake dive, and less responsiveness to steering in transitions, compared to original Hoda shocks. Some go with stiffer than stock springs to balance out those tendencies. If you want to stay at stock ride height, the only economic way to accomplish that is to use CR springs with Koni. Perfect solution if you can find them used. New, the cost of CR springs from Honda, plus cost of the Koni yellows, well then you've got better options (like Bilstein pss).

If you want to stay at stock ride height, and you want better than stock street performance, and a package that will last a lot of street miles, well its the pss.

They are zinc plated, and don't stand up to salted roads well, but like Koni its mostly appearance, and not much of an issue if you don't drive in winter conditions.

The spring rated on pss are heavily front biased. Much more so than even CR (most front biased of any S). Not ideal if you are allergic to understeer.

H&R coilover are pss damper, but with no front bias on spring rate. Using a street friendly rate of 345 front and rear.

Another possible option is KW Variant 1. These are a little more costly. But they are made of stainless steel. So if undercarriage appearance is important, these might be a fit. Unbiased spring rate of 560 front and rear. Maybe a little stiff for street only, but well within acceptable stiffness for many.

Another option, ST X coilovers. These are KW V1's, but made from zimc plated steel instead of stainless. Also a little more street friendly spring rate of like 460. Much less expensive than v1, for basically the same shock. Warrenty on v1 is lifetime, where its only like 2 years on ST. But its nearly half the price, which is compelling.

My personal preference is the H&R.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:28 PM

ST warranty is 5 years.

with ST or Koni, I'd miss having a monotube shock. And no external reservoirs

Too bad the Bilstein is on national backorder.

Wonder if H&R SP's are currently available.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:48 PM

The Bilstein pss doesn’t lower the car at all?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:19 PM

Hard to know, bruv. From the looks of it, one could probably get the collars all the way up and be right around stock height.

But I have not tried this.

I guess you could always try it...and just buy longer springs if you needed to.

I think the factory Bilstein springs are only like 225mm length? They're linear, flat bottom springs.