S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Stoptech Rear BBK Megan Toe Arm Clearance Issue

Old 08-04-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech Rear BBK Megan Toe Arm Clearance Issue

I've been running a Megan rear toe arms on an AP1 track only. Went to install a set of Stoptech rear BBK but the rotor won't clear the rod end of the toe arm. Has anyone run across this issue? Any solutions? Anyone running different quality toe arms with the Stoptech BBK? Only solutions I can think of is: 1) source another thinner or different designed pillow ball bushing (PIA) or 2) buy another set of toe arms - but don't want to risk having the same problem 3) go back to OEM but that would be a very last resort. HELP
Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

how much clearance are you short by? you could always run a thin (~1-2mm) spacer between the rotor and hub and shim the caliper bracket out accordingly. you can get thin spacers like that really cheap on fleebay. You dont want to run more than like 2mm though as you will loose to much thread engagement on your lugs
Old 08-05-2016, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by gregrocks
how much clearance are you short by? you could always run a thin (~1-2mm) spacer between the rotor and hub and shim the caliper bracket out accordingly. you can get thin spacers like that really cheap on fleebay. You dont want to run more than like 2mm though as you will loose to much thread engagement on your lugs
That first crossed my mind as a simple solution, as my my clearance guesstimate is between 5-10mm. But I was worried about offsetting the rotor in the caliper (uneven "race pad" brake wear $$$) and thought of correcting this misalignment by milling the caliper bracket where it mounts to the knuckle. But milling away metal that keeps the caliper attached might compromise the integrity of the design and cause possible failure - since this is a track car many components are being stressed to the limit. Additionally, I'm not aware of the ability of running spacers between the hub and rotor, being a track car safety is my number one concern. But you bring up a good point, for less than $30 it might be worth trying the fit of 3 or 5mm spacers. Perhaps the combination of a spacer and i might be able to grind outer edge the pillow ball casing 1 or 2mm. Anyone else heard of running spacers under the brake rotor?
Old 08-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

if its really not clearing by that much you probably have a bigger issue. I wouldn't think that the stoptech rotor would move inboard by that much. You wouldn't need to mill the caliper though as you are moving it further away from the knuckle so you could simply shim it outboard more.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by gregrocks
if its really not clearing by that much you probably have a bigger issue. I wouldn't think that the stoptech rotor would move inboard by that much. You wouldn't need to mill the caliper though as you are moving it further away from the knuckle so you could simply shim it outboard more.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:05 AM

Gregrocks you're exactly right!!! I received 3mm and 5mm spacers yesterday and took a few minutes to test fit them last night. Think I can get by with the 3mm plus a slight 1mm grind of the face of the spherical bearing closest to the rotor. I looked at the caliper and saw how i could mill the 3mm from the stoptech supplied bracket to center the rotor. Thanks GR for the input, you nailed it.