S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Street Car - Spend $$$ for Ohlins or just go with HKS Hipermax iv gt suspension

Old 04-15-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy as hell with my Ohlins, and they were a smoking deal for the price. The suspension is much more compliant now than it was stock. I don't know why on this board the Ohlins DFV are viewed as an "expensive" option. Finding a better damper than you get with the DFV results in spending almost double. My only gripe with mine is the low-ish out of the box spring rates(my car is primarily an autox car that sees an occasional track days), but since the addition of them my car has been much easier to tolerate driving everyday if I had to.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:17 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesac83
I'm happy as hell with my Ohlins, and they were a smoking deal for the price. The suspension is much more compliant now than it was stock. I don't know why on this board the Ohlins DFV are viewed as an "expensive" option. Finding a better damper than you get with the DFV results in spending almost double. My only gripe with mine is the low-ish out of the box spring rates(my car is primarily an autox car that sees an occasional track days), but since the addition of them my car has been much easier to tolerate driving everyday if I had to.
I completely agree with you there and think your assessments are spot on, the stock spring rates are too soft for our tastes as well. Stock they are good... but we've spent years tuning Ohlins on various platforms and with a few tweaks they're beyond great. We've modding them FAR beyond just spring rates, and with a few extra tricks up our sleeve we've found these can truly be made to be pretty much...... perfect!

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
I was in a similar situation as you. I ended up with the Ohlins, primarily because at the time, the HKS couldn't be rebuilt in NA; they've since opened an HKS office in the US though. While I've been happy with the Ohlins, I feel I will never use them to it's full potential. If I was in the same situation today, I would probably go with the HKS and spend the difference on something else.
I'm curious what you mean about using them to their full potential? You absolutely don't need you have to track your car to get good use out of them. I drive around town on them and they're fantastic, and I think because of the dual flow valve they're actually MORE comfortable than even softer springs in other suspension. Firm yet supple, and also absorb harsh impacts is the ultimate street suspension for me. You'll probably never use the temperature-compensating needle valves which compensate for the viscosity of the shock oil thinning as they get hotter and hotter, but I wouldn't necessarily say that you NEED to use every feature in them to get your moneys worth (that's just my personal opinion though, and I do get where you're coming from)
Old 04-16-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a happy Ohlins user here. In fact I bought my set from Sakebomb.

=)
Old 04-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Originally Posted by alSpeed2k' timestamp='1460749479' post='23939390
I was in a similar situation as you. I ended up with the Ohlins, primarily because at the time, the HKS couldn't be rebuilt in NA; they've since opened an HKS office in the US though. While I've been happy with the Ohlins, I feel I will never use them to it's full potential. If I was in the same situation today, I would probably go with the HKS and spend the difference on something else.
I'm curious what you mean about using them to their full potential? You absolutely don't need you have to track your car to get good use out of them. I drive around town on them and they're fantastic, and I think because of the dual flow valve they're actually MORE comfortable than even softer springs in other suspension. Firm yet supple, and also absorb harsh impacts is the ultimate street suspension for me. You'll probably never use the temperature-compensating needle valves which compensate for the viscosity of the shock oil thinning as they get hotter and hotter, but I wouldn't necessarily say that you NEED to use every feature in them to get your moneys worth (that's just my personal opinion though, and I do get where you're coming from)
Meaning I won't be taking them to the track. Puttering around town, I think other coils could be comfy as well. While I have never ridden in a car shod with the HKS, I have ridden in a car with brand new Fortune Auto coils with the Swift Spring upgrade and to me, as a passenger, they felt comfortable. Are the Ohlins comfortable, yes, without a doubt! I drove my car and my friend's CR back to back over some rough pavements, the difference was night and day. But if you are on a limited budget, I think there are other coils which could be considered.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:51 AM

Received 1,239 Likes on 940 Posts

I'm an Öhlins owner. The only issue I see with them for street use is that to keep their precision, Öhlins recommends a rebuild every 2yrs/20k miles.

I'm not sure how badly the damping will "fall off" in that much time....but it may be significant. A rebuild takes a few weeks and, I'm guessing, costs a few hundred $.

In contrast, my DD (TSX) has Teins...which seem to last forever. Fairly low spring rates. Not EXTREMELY sophisticated. But they ride very well...and have been on the car for 55k+ miles. They're also great for winter use. Their anti corrosion coatings are very durable. They make a line of suspensions specifically aimed at STREET use. So their features are more in line with daily driven car use. Their official rebuild interval is 3yrs/36k. But...again...all the sets I've bought over the last 15 years seem to have lasted forever. And because the demands placed on the shocks are fairly relaxed...I feel like I can probably get 60-70K out of the SA's on my TSX.

Bilsteins are another shock that seems to really last. The PSS and PSS9 are aimed at street cars. Very comfortable...and more sophisticated damping than Tein. Plus they're monotube...and inexpensive. The downside being the zinc coating if you're using them on salty roads.

I do love my Öhlins on my S2000. But I feel a bit like I'm "wasting" the shocks when driving them around lol. I do track my car. So I needed something with a bit more control than a typical street suspension setup. The Öhlins fit my bill for my S2000 because it is a dual-purpose car.

I don't know that I would have bought them for a street-only car. There are other choices that may br better suited to that.

Is the car going to be used in salt? If so...I'd definitely stray away from the Aluminum DFV's.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't compare Ohlins to hks, please.

Penske, Bilstein, kW, Koni, even Fa.... But not hks, tein, bc, etc.

If you can't affor Ohlins go kW or bilstein pss.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 1,239 Likes on 940 Posts

Its not a comparison in the direct sense. OP asked about a street suspension. The Öhlins do have a couple drawbacks, as I mentioned.

And Tein makes excellent setups for street driving. Obviously not as sophisticated as Öhlins. But still very good...and still worth considering. I've been more satisfied with the Teins that I have had over the years than I have with my Konis. I've been as happy with Tein as I have been with KW. If you haven't experienced one of their relatively new setups (last 3-4 years or so), then your experience is outdated.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Just for a street car I think the Bilstein PSS is a great choice. I have Ohlins on my ap1 and they are fantastic both on the street and track. If I didnt track the car I would have probably saved some coin though and just went with either FA500s or Bilsteins.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I'm an Öhlins owner. The only issue I see with them for street use is that to keep their precision, Öhlins recommends a rebuild every 2yrs/20k miles.

I'm not sure how badly the damping will "fall off" in that much time....but it may be significant. A rebuild takes a few weeks and, I'm guessing, costs a few hundred $.

In contrast, my DD (TSX) has Teins...which seem to last forever. Fairly low spring rates. Not EXTREMELY sophisticated. But they ride very well...and have been on the car for 55k+ miles. They're also great for winter use. Their anti corrosion coatings are very durable. They make a line of suspensions specifically aimed at STREET use. So their features are more in line with daily driven car use. Their official rebuild interval is 3yrs/36k. But...again...all the sets I've bought over the last 15 years seem to have lasted forever. And because the demands placed on the shocks are fairly relaxed...I feel like I can probably get 60-70K out of the SA's on my TSX.

Bilsteins are another shock that seems to really last. The PSS and PSS9 are aimed at street cars. Very comfortable...and more sophisticated damping than Tein. Plus they're monotube...and inexpensive. The downside being the zinc coating if you're using them on salty roads.

I do love my Öhlins on my S2000. But I feel a bit like I'm "wasting" the shocks when driving them around lol. I do track my car. So I needed something with a bit more control than a typical street suspension setup. The Öhlins fit my bill for my S2000 because it is a dual-purpose car.

I don't know that I would have bought them for a street-only car. There are other choices that may br better suited to that.

Is the car going to be used in salt? If so...I'd definitely stray away from the Aluminum DFV's.
I find it odd that you complain about the service interval for the Ohlins, but go on to say you ignored it for the Teins. You have zero proof that the Ohlins will perform any different, but because the window(that you ignored) is shorter than the latter it's somehow worse. At the end of the day the Ohlins are a very good single adjustable damper, especially for the price. But lets not talk about the DFVs like they are the TTX version and that you're "wasting" them by driving on them. They are very much a street oriented coilover.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Its not a comparison in the direct sense. OP asked about a street suspension. The Öhlins do have a couple drawbacks, as I mentioned.

And Tein makes excellent setups for street driving. Obviously not as sophisticated as Öhlins. But still very good...and still worth considering. I've been more satisfied with the Teins that I have had over the years than I have with my Konis. I've been as happy with Tein as I have been with KW. If you haven't experienced one of their relatively new setups (last 3-4 years or so), then your experience is outdated.
Where is tein engineered, designed, tuned and manufactured?

Quick Reply: Street Car - Spend $$$ for Ohlins or just go with HKS Hipermax iv gt suspension