S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Street Car - Spend $$$ for Ohlins or just go with HKS Hipermax iv gt suspension

Old 04-18-2016, 05:24 AM

Received 1,239 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1460933029' post='23940908
Its not a comparison in the direct sense. OP asked about a street suspension. The Öhlins do have a couple drawbacks, as I mentioned.

And Tein makes excellent setups for street driving. Obviously not as sophisticated as Öhlins. But still very good...and still worth considering. I've been more satisfied with the Teins that I have had over the years than I have with my Konis. I've been as happy with Tein as I have been with KW. If you haven't experienced one of their relatively new setups (last 3-4 years or so), then your experience is outdated.
Where is tein engineered, designed, tuned and manufactured?
Yokohama, Japan.

R&D/engineering/tuning in the US, Europe(?), and Japan depending on the vehicle and applications.

Their JDM applications have different spring and damper tuning than their US versions. Similar to the way Bilstein and Öhlins operate.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by jamesac83
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1460893905' post='23940502
I'm an Öhlins owner. The only issue I see with them for street use is that to keep their precision, Öhlins recommends a rebuild every 2yrs/20k miles.

I'm not sure how badly the damping will "fall off" in that much time....but it may be significant. A rebuild takes a few weeks and, I'm guessing, costs a few hundred $.

In contrast, my DD (TSX) has Teins...which seem to last forever. Fairly low spring rates. Not EXTREMELY sophisticated. But they ride very well...and have been on the car for 55k+ miles. They're also great for winter use. Their anti corrosion coatings are very durable. They make a line of suspensions specifically aimed at STREET use. So their features are more in line with daily driven car use. Their official rebuild interval is 3yrs/36k. But...again...all the sets I've bought over the last 15 years seem to have lasted forever. And because the demands placed on the shocks are fairly relaxed...I feel like I can probably get 60-70K out of the SA's on my TSX.

Bilsteins are another shock that seems to really last. The PSS and PSS9 are aimed at street cars. Very comfortable...and more sophisticated damping than Tein. Plus they're monotube...and inexpensive. The downside being the zinc coating if you're using them on salty roads.

I do love my Öhlins on my S2000. But I feel a bit like I'm "wasting" the shocks when driving them around lol. I do track my car. So I needed something with a bit more control than a typical street suspension setup. The Öhlins fit my bill for my S2000 because it is a dual-purpose car.

I don't know that I would have bought them for a street-only car. There are other choices that may br better suited to that.

Is the car going to be used in salt? If so...I'd definitely stray away from the Aluminum DFV's.
I find it odd that you complain about the service interval for the Ohlins, but go on to say you ignored it for the Teins. You have zero proof that the Ohlins will perform any different, but because the window(that you ignored) is shorter than the latter it's somehow worse. At the end of the day the Ohlins are a very good single adjustable damper, especially for the price. But lets not talk about the DFVs like they are the TTX version and that you're "wasting" them by driving on them. They are very much a street oriented coilover.

I think you misunderstood my post or just glanced at it.

1.) I mentioned that I haven't had the Öhlins long enough to see what the damping will do after 20k miles. But they're extremely intricate and sophisticated. So maybe the 20k miles is accurate.

2.) I mentioned that I HAVE gone over the interval on my Teins. They are holding up perfectly well. People compliment the ride quality of the car. They're much more simple than Öhlins are. I assume that because of the lower demand placed on the damper...and because they are more primitive feeling....they should probably ride acceptably for longer.

To expand...think of the reason that Koni yellows last so long. They aren't sophisticated enough to show tangible effects from wear.

3.) For the OP's application, maybe a less expensive damper that isn't quite as sophisticated...but, in leiu, has features that are aimed at daily street use may be a better choice. Tein's street lineup does have some very spot-on features that I haven't seen on other brands.

4.) I was saying that there are other options than spending $2500 on a coilover that you're going to use about 10% of the capability of. He doesn't need a road AND track coilover or the added expense that comes with a dual duty coilover.

5.) By wasting the shock, I mean that I'm using a $2500 system to putt around on the street. Sure, they ride fantastic. But if I didn't need the extra control for track use...it would be a complete waste to use these.

I said the Öhlins were better in terms of control and comfort.. and are leaps and bounds (no pun intended) better in terms of precision. But...that doesn't mean there are no other options worth considering.

Has he been back here, though? Or is this just a post to add traffic to the site?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

extra control for track use? Where is a quality damper best doing its job, a bumpy road or a smooth race track? The expectation to have a worse performing suspension part and not have extra 'control' because you're driving on the street where there's rougher roads, multiple objects, and people to hit makes no sense. Then to bypass having an admittedly better ride quality because you're too cheap to spend the hundreds of dollars and would rather risk it on a budget setup with adjustments that don't really adjust anything in a clear, concise manner is also just as bad.

I've played the cheap damper game, go for quality and save yourself headache. You already know the rewards and the detraction is just price, which pays for itself in being quality equipment that can be maintained versus other options that cannot. Good shocks aren't just for race cars, they just offer more adjustment than a street car needs. In this case we're talking about a single adjustable, not a 3 or 4 way that almost needs its own engineer to find good settings. I'm not saying there aren't decent options for the money, because there are. But the DFVs are a fantastic value especially for a street car, mine rides better than stock even at full stiff(not that I drive it on that setting). In terms of value per dollar spent the DFVs are hard to beat and alot of options around their price point are a compromise, usually in terms of ride comfort which does matter if you're driving the car day to day.

I'll also say I'm avoiding saying anything negative about Tein, in my mind if you think that is near the same level of quality as Ohlins you're lying to yourself.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 AM

When did I say that the Teins are of similar quality to the Öhlins? I spent a lot of time saying that they weren't.

Lol. I suppose you would like me to say that the ONLY system worth buying is the Öhlins and that everything else isn't even worth a look?

I had a pretty subjective post. The Öhlins are not without disadvantages. And there are systems that may fit his NEEDS better.

I know how the Öhlins ride and work. I own a set. I own cars with Teins, Konis, I used to have KW's, etc. I get it. The Öhlins ride better and feel better. I said it plainly quite a few times.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone has nothing but good to say about the Ohlins, and all of the reviews of the HKS Hipermax GT's seem to be very good as well.

In my case, I drive my car maybe 5-6k a year, and it's used as a weekend fun warm weather car. It doesn't see rain or snow.

The 1200 bucks more I'd spend on the Ohlins COULD get me into a turbo kit faster, or pay for more than half of my valve spring retainer and clutch upgrade with parts and labor.

Are the Ohlins 1200 dollars BETTER than the GTs? I wouldn't mind hearing someone's opinion that has tried both.

I appreciate everyones input on this so far. This is a great discussion.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You can't go wrong with the Ohlins. However you may be just as satisfied while spending less money. I just cant recommend the HKS. I am unfairly biased to damper design and valving profiles from Europe, and maybe the US. Asia, no... The showas on our cars are great quality and if they could be revalved would probably be all we would need. However they aren't . I have had plenty of OEM asian shocks and aftermarket like KYB and Tokico. Moving to higher quality european designed shocks was a big step up. Like I said, HKS and tein are the same as buddy club or BC as far as I am concerned. Unfair probably...

For you, I would try Bilstein PSS/9 first. If you are happy, you saved money. If not, you can sell them for 90% of what you paid and buy some Ohlins.

However the best place to start is to be specific about what you don't like about the OEM setup. this will help manage your expectations when buying new dampers.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:47 PM

I've never experienced HKS. But Tein is astronomically better than BC. I'm not sure where your conceptions of Tein come from. Is this based on any experience?

I will agree thar PSS9's are likely OP's best bet if he's not looking at slamming his car. He doesn't plan to use them in salt. And the $1k cost delta between PSS9's and Öhlins is 100% not worth it for a street-only car.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I've never experienced HKS. But Tein is astronomically better than BC. I'm not sure where your conceptions of Tein come from. Is this based on any experience?
Hell no, I am unfairly lumping every asian damper together in one pile. If Tein distinguishes themselves in some way, I would be willing to hear more about it. Do they have racing heritage? Are they capable of making a top level competitive damper? Mind you I mean point a to b racing, not events where "style" points are awarded.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Janus00
Everyone has nothing but good to say about the Ohlins, and all of the reviews of the HKS Hipermax GT's seem to be very good as well.

In my case, I drive my car maybe 5-6k a year, and it's used as a weekend fun warm weather car. It doesn't see rain or snow.

The 1200 bucks more I'd spend on the Ohlins COULD get me into a turbo kit faster, or pay for more than half of my valve spring retainer and clutch upgrade with parts and labor.

Are the Ohlins 1200 dollars BETTER than the GTs? I wouldn't mind hearing someone's opinion that has tried both.

I appreciate everyones input on this so far. This is a great discussion.
The money/value ratio is completely relative, but IMO yes, the Ohlins are definitely worth 1200 bucks more than HKS or any other sub $1500 coilover for that matter.

I read on here a while back and if I can find the post I'll link it again, but the stock OE suspension is really so good, you're more likely to hurt the handling performance with a sub $1500 coilover. The few exceptions I've researched are the koni/gc kit, Bilsteins PSS & PSS9, and Fortune Auto w/ swift springs.

I believe it was billman who has a habit of asking anyone looking to upgrade their suspension "What's wrong with stock?" The answer you give will tell a lot about what you're really looking for.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

without anyone experiencing both coilovers this debate is meaningless. The only conclusions anyone can draw is this:

You'll be happy with both the HKS Hipermax GT or the DFV's.

I don't think anyone can objectively say if it's worth it to spend the extra cash for the DFV's.

Quick Reply: Street Car - Spend $$$ for Ohlins or just go with HKS Hipermax iv gt suspension