S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Street pads with more initial bite?

Old 05-01-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
I've used both Stoptech Sport and Hawk HP+ on street and track. Any pad that can be used on the track, will be more than enough for the street (duh).

Now that that's out of the way, HP+ dust slightly more than Stoptech Sport AND they sometimes squeal. I've ran sets of HP+ that are pretty quiet and i've had sets that squeal like crazy. On the other hand, all of my stoptech sport sets have never squealed at all.

Both have pretty much the identical initial bite IMO. Maybe the HP+ has the very slight edge on initial bite, but the dust and squeal are worse and why i would choose the stoptech sports for the OP.

​​​​​​​IDK man....I've also had both and the HP+ makes a LOT more torque than the stoptech sport.

This is honestly the first time I've heard the HP+ initial (street temp) bite being compared to the Stoptech Sport. It wasn't even in the same universe for me.

HP+ is a low temp, semi metallic autocross pad. It makes all its torque down low in the temp range.

The HPS and Stoptech Sport probably have similar initial bite.

Stoptechs are a good pad if you're looking for a steerable pad that can take a lot of heat. But..OP just wants more torque down at low temps.

A $20-30 semi metallic will do that better than the stoptech sport.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I really enjoyed the initial bite of the HP+. Definitely gave me the confidence to stop if anyone cut in front of me. With a good ceramic lubricant on the back of those they became silent. Good for the price and they lasted quite awhile too
Old 05-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
IDK man....I've also had both and the HP+ makes a LOT more torque than the stoptech sport.

This is honestly the first time I've heard the HP+ initial (street temp) bite being compared to the Stoptech Sport. It wasn't even in the same universe for me.

HP+ is a low temp, semi metallic autocross pad. It makes all its torque down low in the temp range.

The HPS and Stoptech Sport probably have similar initial bite.

Stoptechs are a good pad if you're looking for a steerable pad that can take a lot of heat. But..OP just wants more torque down at low temps.

A $20-30 semi metallic will do that better than the stoptech sport.
Difference of opinion i guess. I am using stop tech sport on both my S2000 and Integra right now and it's more than enough initial bite. Maybe you need to bleed your brakes better? lol And i've used probaby 10+ sets of HP+ in the past, which i used for street and track duty. I do agree HP+ probably has more initial bite, but again, it's not worth the trade off for a street car. Noise and dust are exactly what a street car (and the OP) doesn't want. That HP+ dust is aggressive too. I ran HP+ on my freshly refinished WHITE regamasters and the dust wreaked havoc on the finish.

I wouldn't compare Stoptech Sport and HPS at all. HPS is the first pad in my life that i tossed in the trash shortly after installation. HPS felt worse than stock.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So far the ST Sports seem to be best as it has zero noise.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by rokkerkory
So far the ST Sports seem to be best as it has zero noise.

well, they're certainly inexpensive. give them a shot and let us know what you think. make sure you bed them in properly.
The following users liked this post:
rokkerkory (05-02-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Difference of opinion i guess. I am using stop tech sport on both my S2000 and Integra right now and it's more than enough initial bite. Maybe you need to bleed your brakes better? lol And i've used probaby 10+ sets of HP+ in the past, which i used for street and track duty. I do agree HP+ probably has more initial bite, but again, it's not worth the trade off for a street car. Noise and dust are exactly what a street car (and the OP) doesn't want. That HP+ dust is aggressive too. I ran HP+ on my freshly refinished WHITE regamasters and the dust wreaked havoc on the finish.

I wouldn't compare Stoptech Sport and HPS at all. HPS is the first pad in my life that i tossed in the trash shortly after installation. HPS felt worse than stock.
I've just been telling him to buy a decent, off the shelf semi-metallic, actually.

My brakes work great.

I've used Stoptech 309's long before people knew they existed. Initial bite isn't very good in comparison to most semi metallics. I never bought them because they made that massive cold torque. Their compound just doesn't do that. They work when they get some heat into them, though.

As far as stoptech vs HP+... yes....the Stoptech is a much more street friendly pad, hands down. I wouldn't necessarily recommend either for the OP's purpose, however. The stoptech doesn't exhibit much more initial bite than stock. And while the bite on a HP+ is great...they're just not street pads.

To repeat myself....a regular, good name semi metallic will bite BETTER than Stoptech sports at street temps. It will also be quiet.
The following users liked this post:
rokkerkory (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently switched to the Winmax W3 pads and the stopping power increased pretty dramatically. The front wheels are completely covered in dust by the end of the week and the only time the pads are quiet are right after bedding them in or during aggressive driving. Shortly after bedding them in, they were often ridiculously loud during daily driving, especially in traffic. 3 months later, the pad material seems to be sticking to the rotor better than it was and the squealing is not as loud during light braking.

Next time around, I'll be stepping down to the W2's.
Overall, I'm happy with the W3's and recommend them to anyone looking for increased stopping power but does not mind some noise.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:39 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

I've just been telling him to buy a decent, off the shelf semi-metallic, actually.

To repeat myself....a regular, good name semi metallic will bite BETTER than Stoptech sports at street temps. It will also be quiet.
Geez. I think everyone heard you.

Disclaimer on behalf of myself: I have already said, "difference of opinion." It's ok to disagree...

Disclaimer on behalf of everyone else: No one here is saying you're wrong...if that makes any difference to you.

All a bunch of us did was recommend ST sports which you seem to be offended by since we did not recommend "off the shelf semi metallics" like you. Obviously ST sports work fine for a bunch of us.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:47 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Stoptech Street Performance = Stoptech Sport.
the 309 part number. Same pad.

I have them on my S2000 for street use and convenience. They're quiet, like you say...and the dust is manageable.

I say "convenience" because I can like...*almost* get away with using them on the track. So if I'm lazy...I can leave them on for a few sessions until I stop being lazy and swap in track pads.

Bite kinda sucks unless they're hot. Its very similar to stock (slightly better).

A decent off the shelf semi metallic has better cold bite. Too bad Bendix no longer sells their semi metallics. They work so COT dang well on my TSX.

Rock auto currently has a "Friction master" that has like...the same PN as the old Bendix pads. And they're clearing them out for $7.99.

Not much to lose by trying them out, eh?
I may on one of the other cars .. I bought a couple of sets of Hawks last year for the S ... got a good deal on them, yadda yadda. They work fine for autox but the dust is a bit annoying. But for a guy that goes way too long before even cleaning cone scars off the car, I can live with them There is a point when you just accept you drive an autox car and all the lincoln stickers, dust and cone marks stay on the car for longer....
Old 05-03-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
+1 for Winmax W2, they are great street pads, but they do dust a bit more than I would like. I do have a set of Winmax W3 sitting in my room to be installed, excited to try those out soon. W3 are still considered street pads, but can also fit to do some autox and light track days.
+1 for Winmax W2. I ran the W3 pads on my street-driven car, but the noise they generated was a bit too much, so I stepped down to W2. Couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: Street pads with more initial bite?