S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb
View Poll Results: Which suspension is best for me?
KW Variant 3
80.12%
T1R B-max 52
19.88%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Suspension Suggestions, KW vs. T1R

Old 04-24-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Suggestions, KW vs. T1R

My relevant set up would be an AP2 with non staggered wheels/tires with daily driving duty as well as light track usage. I'm looking for a decent suspension setup -$1750, 1.5"+ drop, plenty of shock travel, easy tunability/adjustability as well as great durability. I personally feel like the KW's are proven, but I'm not exactly sold on them yet. I've had many T1R parts, and am impressed with their value so they've caught my attention with their most recent kit.

So that said, what do you guys think would be best for me? I hope to hear from owners of both kits!

TIA,
Ryan B.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive heard so many good things about kwv3's cant go wrong here
Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KW Variant 3.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM

I felt the same, but am very happy with my choice to go with KW V3's. I have no regrets.

I wish I knew more about setting up the footwork to really get all the benefit from the adjustability, but they have made the car much more enjoyable while driving near the limit.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 PM

lots of good feed back on the KWs, but haven't seen much reviews on the T1R...
Old 04-26-2008, 03:08 PM

I think the 15-3 vote with a 5-1 ratio says it all.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I bought my KWs for the moderate spring rates and excellent quality reputation.

I think the T1R spring rates were a little higher than I would have gone...even though the T1R wasn't on my mind when I was in the market.

I love my KW3s for driving around town...but I only put them on a few months ago, and track season just opened up. I will probably hit a track in May/jun/july lol...my schedule is INSANE right now.

I can't wait to get them on a track...they seem very very predictable. However, i dont know about a non-staggered setup with these.

They have the same spring rate f to r. It's around 550lbs/in, IIRC. (8k ish)

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:28 PM

its 515lbs/in which is about 9.3kg

another for kw v3
Old 04-28-2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by chetly,Apr 26 2008, 06:08 PM
I think the 15-3 vote with a 5-1 ratio says it all.
Yeah, but understand that the KW's have been out over 5 times as long as the T1R's. Trust me I've heard alot of positive feedback about the KW's, enough so that Ive suggested them and don't even own them. There are simple facts though that may suggest the T1R's are a rival.

1. The T1R is made of chromoly so it's probably a lot lighter.
2. The T1R is a monotube design.
3. Comes with pillowball mount.

Those are the major pluses of the T1R's over the KW's. Do those qualities warrant enough consideration over a proven product such as the KW's? I don't know, but that's the reason for my post? Where's all the T1R owners? Where's AJR or Evasive?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,Apr 28 2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah, but understand that the KW's have been out over 5 times as long as the T1R's. Trust me I've heard alot of positive feedback about the KW's, enough so that Ive suggested them and don't even own them. There are simple facts though that may suggest the T1R's are a rival.

1. The T1R is made of chromoly so it's probably a lot lighter.
2. The T1R is a monotube design.
3. Comes with pillowball mount.

Those are the major pluses of the T1R's over the KW's. Do those qualities warrant enough consideration over a proven product such as the KW's? I don't know, but that's the reason for my post? Where's all the T1R owners? Where's AJR or Evasive?
The KWs are made from stainless. Which will resist rust better than chromoly. Chromoly is only slightly lighter than a good stainless steel...but they're both steel bodied coilovers. Heavy either way. Not a big deal, though.

The pillowball mounts are not a benefit in my book. I'd rather use the stock strut mounts. Pillowball mounts dont do much if at all in a double wishbone or multilink setup. They're good only for Macpherson strut setups. You have an upper control arm and ball joint to control lateral movement of the suspension. You dont need a solid pillowball mount. It will only add harshness to the ride. If it was a race car, the incremental increase in steering response or spring response brought around by pillowball mounts would be a benefit. For a street car, it's more annoying than it is helpful.

The monotube design may be the only advantage. But I dont know much about the T1R's other features.

Quick Reply: Suspension Suggestions, KW vs. T1R