S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Tein Flex Z - Detailed Info/Review Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I bought a set of these for my TSX and painstakingly set them up.

I did use them at Tein's recommended settings first...for the sake of science, and to get a baseline.

Don't expect them to ride ANYWHERE near as well as a properly setup Koni/Bilstein. Ohlins is in a different league altogether.

The price on the Teins is noteably lower than the aforementioned brands. But...so is the ride quality.
Really? I've had quite a few Koni and Bilsteins setups on various cars throughout the years, and I didn't think the AP1 Flex Z's were far off for ride comfort given the 10 kg/mm spring rates. The stock suspension with blown shocks rode worse in many respects, even with a softer rate. The Flex Z's were way quicker on track - on the order of many seconds a lap with a "fast" driver behind the wheel. I did find the shock adjustments to be very sensitive, so there's a relatively narrow adjustment range where things work well.

As to the other questions in the thread, the suspension worked great, but I actually totalled my AP1 after hitting something, losing oil, and the engine locking up almost immediately. So my set of Flex Z's will be for sale shortly.
The following users liked this post:
howat (06-11-2019)
Old 02-05-2018, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DefSport
Really? I've had quite a few Koni and Bilsteins setups on various cars throughout the years, and I didn't think the AP1 Flex Z's were far off for ride comfort given the 10 kg/mm spring rates. The stock suspension with blown shocks rode worse in many respects, even with a softer rate. The Flex Z's were way quicker on track - on the order of many seconds a lap with a "fast" driver behind the wheel. I did find the shock adjustments to be very sensitive, so there's a relatively narrow adjustment range where things work well.

As to the other questions in the thread, the suspension worked great, but I actually totalled my AP1 after hitting something, losing oil, and the engine locking up almost immediately. So my set of Flex Z's will be for sale shortly.
So sorry to hear about that! Hope you are alright .
Old 02-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by DefSport

Very interested in the Flex Z's if you plan on selling soon. I wasn't able to send you a private message since I'm a new member, but maybe you can message me?
Old 02-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Naz

I have to say i recently purchased a set of the tein flex and ihonestly love them. Its only been about aweek but ive driven proper s2 with oem suspension . Ive also had koni yellows and tein s techs. The flex z is great for tge price ..ease of installation ..and how easy it is to change the height of your car and dampness.. which is a trial and errir because no two S are 100% identical. You have to tweak for you. Not knocking the other struts. But these are def worth checking out. I live around the Jfk area if anyone is interested in going for a ride to check em out
Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the informative review, I plan on picking up a set here shortly and this sealed the deal! Too much body roll on the track, these spring rates and dampers should help clean that up.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbys2k
for the preload, what happens if you turn too many times like too much preload? i think i went more than 7 full turns. any negative effects?
14mm of preload on 10K springs. Meh. You're probably fine.

You'll have a ton of compression travel and reduced droop travel. Make sure the wheel cannot travel enough to hit a body part before the shock hits the bumpstop.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Just installed these a week ago and I am impressed with the build quality of the set. I set the preload to 12mm as suggested by DefSport and started on 6 clicks from stiff, which is what TEIN recommends out the box. I drove for a couple of days but felt like the ride was too soft and very busy through bumps. I dialed two clicks to stiff and it feels like stock (149k on the shocks), which I'm happy with because I were looking for similar ride with height adjustment.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Got off the Blizzaks 2 weeks ago, and I'm finding that on spirited driving on hard dips, the rear wheels are coming off the ground, losing stability. Anybody having similar issues? It's as if the suspension has too much compression and the rebound is too slow to compensate for it.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:20 PM

How is Tein Z with 10k rate spring for daily driving? I need/want to buy a new coilover and Tein Z has a good review and it is a reasonable price.

I don't do any track nor race. It is just my daily car and drive 40~80miles per week.

Just want to lower the car and get stiffer for fun drive. Many people recommend Bilstein but it looks like it's back ordered everywhere and many people say too soft.

Or spend little more for BC Racing BR?

Please, trying to stay under $1000, I know there are lots of good coilovers but all that are too much for my use.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

UNDER $1000, I think the Flex Z is the only viable choice that I would think of.

Tein has a strange way of setting up their dampers. You might be fine. Worst case, you'll need to buy softer springs.

BUT...for $1200, I think Fortune Auto makes a pretty solid monotube setup.

Talk to Will at THMotorsports.

Quick Reply: Tein Flex Z - Detailed Info/Review Thread