S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Tein Flex Z vs HKS Hipermax GT

Old 07-17-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Flex Z vs HKS Hipermax GT

Hey everyone,

I recently picked up a 2004 S2K and I'm looking to lower it a bit. I'm not looking to slam/stance the car at all, but maybe about a 1 finger gap or a little more between the tires and fenders. I work from home, so this isn't a daily driver, but I want to enjoy the car as much as possible when I do drive it. More importantly, I need something that the wife won't hate also. I've never tracked a car before so I know Ohlins would be overkill, even though that's what everyone recommends. The reviews are kind of sparse on the Teins, but the ones I've seen people claim to like them? I've really only read great things about the HKS's, but are they worth almost twice the price of the Teins for someone like me?

TLDR; looking for coilovers that go low enough for me (I think people say Bilstein's don't go quite as low) and are fun to drive on without the wife hating them.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:46 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I like my HKS.

The few Tein products I've owned (non-S2000) have always disappointed me.
The following users liked this post:
mipwnyew (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

The Flex Z I used on my TSX rode nicely after reducing the spring rate from the provided 12K/7K to 7K/4K.

Obviously, there was much ado involving measument of weights and shock stroke distances. All kinds things that the kids in highschool would beat you unmerciful for being interested in.

I haven't had any experience with HKS products.

Bilstein PSS9 will still ride well at your proposed heights. The only thing unfomfortable about them is their current availability/delivery time.

Ohlins ROAD and track aren't only for track use, BTW.

ROAD and track. eh?

Ironically, though, despite their full body adjustment, they won't really ride all that well at your proposed height UNLESS you buy lower mounts. But then you're talking about a good amount of cash.

I do prefer a monotube shock for a car that has such small shock stroke space. I feel like you get substantially better control and comfort. Apparently, Honda agrees with me.

Have you given thought to just using lowering springs or OTS ground controls on your stock shocks?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 AM

I've never really been satisfied with lowering springs on stock shocks on any car. Either it didn't quite settle where I wanted or they just rode kind of meh. Plus I have about 135k on the car, so I wouldn't trust them to last much longer on lowering springs/coils.

By the time I spend the time/money trying to get the Teins to ride better it seems like I would of just been better off going with the HKS coilovers initially. That's where I was kind of leaning towards anyways, but just wanted to get some opinions.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI

PSS9 - Rear is at the bottom of the thread and got to 12" 4/5 inches from hub to fender. Fronts are at 13" 3/5 inches (front fender modified). The ride is quite comfortable at this height.
Basically a 1 finger gap.

Last edited by Bruunz; 07-18-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bruunz
FYI

PSS9 - Rear is at the bottom of the thread and got to 12" 4/5 inches from hub to fender. Fronts are at 13" 3/5 inches (front fender modified). The ride is quite comfortable at this height.
Basically a 1 finger gap.
That looks great, and good to know they're decently comfy!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently rode in an S with the HKS Hipermax GT and I must say they're quite nice.. They're certainly softer than my Ohlins (10k in front, rear lowered from 8kg to 7kg) so your wife will probably appreciate it more. Us car guys have a higher threshold before we consider the ride 'harsh'. For most women, anything more than a pillow ride is considered uncomfortable lol.

Never tried the Tein coils but I can vouch for HKS products..
The following users liked this post:
mipwnyew (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 07:13 AM

I am at this height on HKS IV GT. The car is more comfortable over most imperfection than my daily (stock) Honda Fit.

BUT, it doesn't like HUGE bumps.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I am at this height on HKS IV GT. The car is more comfortable over most imperfection than my daily (stock) Honda Fit.

BUT, it doesn't like HUGE bumps.
Awesome! I think that looks great, I might go just a smidge higher for the roads around here. Where do you have your dampening set at?

I think the responses in here pretty much seal the deal for me!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mipwnyew
Awesome! I think that looks great, I might go just a smidge higher for the roads around here. Where do you have your dampening set at?

I think the responses in here pretty much seal the deal for me!
I have the rears set in the middle of their damping range, the fronts two clicks stiffer. The two clicks are just placebo to convince myself that'll somehow safeguard my fenders against rubbing.

Quick Reply: Tein Flex Z vs HKS Hipermax GT