S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Thoughts on suspension setup

Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on suspension setup

Hi all,

Cliffnotes for the bored: 110k mile S2000 with OEM suspension, considering Koni Yellows + CR Springs, open to feedback and opinions. Don't like the uneasy rear @ high speeds and am looking for an inexpensive alternative to $2-3k coilovers. Don't want to make the car handle worse than stock. Also looking for sway bar advice. Basically trying to build an S2000 that will inspire more confidence and WILL be used on the track.

I've been contemplating long and hard about what I'd like to do with the suspension on my S2000... I previously had an NSX with coilovers that I tracked, but have since sold the NSX and am now focusing on using my S2000 as a track toy (bit less expensive to track, and a bit more worry-free to track).

My S is mostly stock, complete with 110k miles. In fact, the only "mod" she has is a set of powdercoated AP2v1s. With the track season coming up soon, I'd like to make some modifications to her. Tracking on 110k mile old suspension has me bothered.

The thing I've always disliked in my S is the uneasy feeling you get in the rear of the car as speeds pick up. At low speeds (autoX), the car is very confidence inspiring. As speeds increase, however, I've always felt less confident in the car and always feel like the car wants to bite my head off at any given moment. That is definitely an issue I'd like to address. My NSX was *very* stable at track speeds and very predictable. In short, it was an easy car to drive fast.

My other dilemma, however, is the budget. I would love a set of KW Clubsports or Motons as much as the next guy, but I find myself having an issue paying $2-4k for a set of coilovers when my MY00, 110k mile S2000 is worth about $9k tops. I'd like to find a happy medium in terms of suspension setup that will run me under $1000. My biggest fear is making a blind purchase and actually HINDERING the handling of the car.

My thought was doing a combination of Koni yellows + OEM CR springs. The Konis are stiffer than OEM shocks from what I understand, and by placing the CR Springs on the lower spring perch on the Konis, I can hopefully eliminate the goofy stance of the OEM CR, while still gaining the benefit of the more aggressive spring rates of the CR Springs. If my research is correct, the CR spring rates are 8.6kg front, 6.4kg rear. This seems to be a more aggressive setup than most aftermarket springs that I've seen, and it seems to be a little more front bias to induce a slightly more understeer-y (read: confidence-inspiring ) setup.

Has anyone tried this setup or is anyone available to provide me some alternatives? I'm also looking for opinions on a quality front sway bar (Not looking for Saner/Gendron/Comptech... $400+ for a sway bar is ridiculous imho, and I'm no national level autocrosser).
Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can get some Bilstein PSS9's and an Eibach front bar.
You'll have a bit more adjustment as far as height and about the same rate as the CR springs.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM

Bump! Still looking for some thoughts from the guys who track their S2000s, but are on a budget (like me)!

Moved the cliffnotes to the top of the thread to hopefully help people bypass the big story if they don't want to read it.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Ive got the bilsteins and absolutely love them, the ride is a tad bit stiffer than stock ( a bit stiffer than CR spring rates) and so far I havent had any problems. Hitting highway sweepers/onramps feels nice and stable out back.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your rear end needs a wing, not shocks. Aero wil help you at high speed.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Try to find some slightly used CR suspension. I think that's the best bet for a budget upgrade.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Try to find some slightly used CR suspension. I think that's the best bet for a budget upgrade.
I dissagree. I went this route and ended up selling not long after trying out the CR setup. Full discolure: I paid full price for the CR springs/shocks, I also got a discount on my next setup (koni custom 8242). I wish I would have saved the $1100 I spent on the CR setup and put that towards my $1300 Konis.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM

What're the spring rates on the Bilsteins? And where can I purchase a new set?

I'm open to the idea of a wing as well, but I imagine this issue can be solved by simple suspension adjustments... the wing can come later.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by z-nigma

I'm open to the idea of a wing as well, but I imagine this issue can be solved by simple suspension adjustments... the wing can come later.

I said get a wing, because that's what you need. If you think the issue is a simple fix, the only thing that could help is checking your rear toe settings to make sure you have the right setting. Nothing else (springs or shocks) will help you with an aero problem.

If you don't believe me, ask this question in the Racing and Competition forum.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by z-nigma

Also, since the OP is going to race, having good shocks is a must. I would never reccomend the PSS9, as most who freqent this forum already know, because of its poor adjuster. The Koini yellow is much better in this regard. Then if you go with the koni, you can pick any spring rate you want. You don't get this with the CR setup.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on suspension setup