S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Upgrade brakes

Old 03-16-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
Tires, alignment, brake pads and fresh fluid - everything else will just lighten your pocket

here are a list of things that will ruin your braking compared to a stock s2000:
- cross drilled & or Slotted rotors; the worst cross drilled & slotted rotors
- unbalanced brake pad compounds
- bad suspension setup
- bad alignment setup
- crappy large tires are worse than smaller good tires
- old brake fluid

fastest you can stop is up to the point your ABS kicks in
Thx for the advise..if i go with the CCW LM20's wheels then just keep it to 18x11 front and back with my current tires? Which rotor would you prefer,Napa or Centric? How about the Hawk HPS Pads? Any other advise would be appreciated .Im a S2000 newby and loving it.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Go with cheap rotors. 25$ from napa is cheap. Also stay with blank. for me the HP pads sucked. But that depends wat u are using the car for. If it's a mainly street car then HP pads are good.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveWN
Thx for the advise..if i go with the CCW LM20's wheels then just keep it to 18x11 front and back with my current tires? Which rotor would you prefer,Napa or Centric? How about the Hawk HPS Pads? Any other advise would be appreciated .Im a S2000 newby and loving it.
Personally I have had nothing but problems with every brand of centric/stoptech/powerslot rotor - they are the same manufacturer - I have cracked every single version and they crack fairly easily - even with diligent cool down.

I've had the best success with Honda factory rotors and autozone duralast. Project mu rotors are very good too in terms of strength but just too expensive to justify.

As far as pads go, it really depends on your application and usage. Nothing wrong with the factory Honda pads - they are very good, but they just don't last under tracking. I melted a nearly new set in 1 afternoon @ laguna seca - but then again laguna destroys brakes.

Price, braking performance and dust - as the saying goes, pick 2.

On the track my pads of choice are the Hawk DTC 60 - terrible dust, wheel destroying dust - MUST CLEAN REGULARLY!!!!

I have used the following:
Project mu 999 - great braking, way too pricey
Project mu club racer - terrible performance, too pricey
Carbotech xp10 - great feel, pricey, cracks rotors, pain in the ass to get
Carbotech xp12 - same as above

On the street - I could careless:
Stoptech - the car stops and it's cheap
Honda - good feel, good bite, expensive
Hawk HP+ - sort of expensive, crazy dust, excellent bite and feel

personally for me, I don't understand going for huge tires/wheels on street cars IF you have to run ridiculous camber to get them to fit. Huge amounts of negative camber will only reduce your foot print in a straight line (99% of street driving) which will only impact your braking. It's only benefit is when you are cornering on the track.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
Personally I have had nothing but problems with every brand of centric/stoptech/powerslot rotor - they are the same manufacturer - I have cracked every single version and they crack fairly easily - even with diligent cool down.

I've had the best success with Honda factory rotors and autozone duralast. Project mu rotors are very good too in terms of strength but just too expensive to justify.

As far as pads go, it really depends on your application and usage. Nothing wrong with the factory Honda pads - they are very good, but they just don't last under tracking. I melted a nearly new set in 1 afternoon @ laguna seca - but then again laguna destroys brakes.

Price, braking performance and dust - as the saying goes, pick 2.

On the track my pads of choice are the Hawk DTC 60 - terrible dust, wheel destroying dust - MUST CLEAN REGULARLY!!!!

I have used the following:
Project mu 999 - great braking, way too pricey
Project mu club racer - terrible performance, too pricey
Carbotech xp10 - great feel, pricey, cracks rotors, pain in the ass to get
Carbotech xp12 - same as above

On the street - I could careless:
Stoptech - the car stops and it's cheap
Honda - good feel, good bite, expensive
Hawk HP+ - sort of expensive, crazy dust, excellent bite and feel

personally for me, I don't understand going for huge tires/wheels on street cars IF you have to run ridiculous camber to get them to fit. Huge amounts of negative camber will only reduce your foot print in a straight line (99% of street driving) which will only impact your braking. It's only benefit is when you are cornering on the track.
Thank you for your detailed reply..certainly appreciate it. Since i'm only driving street and not track i will go with the oem rotors and pads(or Stoptechs). i will pick another wheel to fit my RE11's and probably upgrade the brake lines to stainless at the same time. Thanks again !
Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Braided brake hoses are going to help prevent something you run over from tearing the hoses out, or from abrasion due to hard use wearing a hole. They aren't going to have much impact on brake feel.

The better feel that braided hoses provide is not because of the braiding, but because of the superior hose material (typically teflon), as compared to most cars spongy rubber hoses. But our cars stock hoses are actually quite good.

Go with braided hoses for looks, or for durability at the track, but not for pedal feel. To improve pedal feel, bleed the lines.
The following users liked this post:
DaveWN (03-27-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

For 100% street, I like Powerstop Z16/Z17. Fairly low dust, good cold bite, linear friction, no noise.

For street/track (this is dicey on a heavy braking track) I like Stoptech Sport pads (used to be their Street pads years ago, looks like they introduced a ceramic pad for steet and renamed them).

For track only, can drive on street a little, Hawk DTC60.
The following users liked this post:
DaveWN (03-27-2017)