S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Upgrading Oem Brake System

Old 12-22-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Upgrading Oem Brake System

Hello guys,

After some months with the S2k i really feel that i need to upgrade the oem braking system. If i had a bigger budget i would got for a BBK Kit (for example AP Racing and all would be solved). Unfortunately i have a lower budget so i will upgrade the brake pads / brake lines and hope i see an overall improvement. I use the car as a weekend car to cruise arround, some mountain driving and occasionally 1-2 Track Days per year.

My car has the full OEM brake system 00 Honda S2000.

Brake pads that i am thinking :

Ferodo Ds 25000 Front and Rear
Project Mu HC+ 800 Front and Rear
Endless N35 Racing Pads Front + Endless Vita Nuova Racing Pads Rear

Max Budget for pads is about 400$ and for Brake Lines 100-150$.

What suggestions guys? I've checked some reviews and topics but nothing conclusive..

Will i feel a big difference with this upgrade?

Thanks and Happy Christmas everyone!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Really if you want to improve braking the first place I would start with is the tires. Grippier tires, better braking.

My assessment is based on the fact that you drive your car in the following frequency of importance:
#1 weekend car
#2 spirited mountain driving
#3 1-2 track days a year

Brake lines - brake lines are only going to help you maintain maximum brake effort longer; most important in prolonged high performance driving - i.e. track days, they will not improve your terminal braking performance
Brake fluid - fresh fluid is better than old fluid in terms of boiling and compressibility; not all fluids feel or perform the same
Rotors - almost nothing will perform better than stock rotors, a super light 2 piece rotor will reduce unsprung mass which you may or may not be able to feel
Brake pads - depending on the brake pad when compared to the Honda factory pad they can have the following effects:
-worse braking: i.e. auto parts store pad
-worse feel: race pad or auto parts store pad
-better feel: i.e. carbotech xp8
-more noise: i.e. carbotech track pad
-more dust: i.e. hawk track pad
-better bite: initial bite will depend really on mU vs temp graph; higher mU during lower operating temps equals better bite

For your application, I honestly wouldn't waste the money on a BBK, wouldn't even consider it.

The factory honda pads have excellent performance, what they lack for a competent track driver is heat capacity. I can do a respectable time with a honda factory brake system (pad, rotors, brake lines, brake fluid) but after the 3rd lap I'm going to start missing apexes and I probably won't have any stopping ability by lap 5 once the factory pads overheat and fade, the fluid gets boiled and the factory rubber lines expand and things will go from fun to hairy real quickly.

Depending on how often you like working on your car I would recommend:
Brake Fluid: Castrol SRF for feel, extremely long life and excellent performance
Brake Pad: Hawk HPS (cheap and they do perform well); Change front and rear pads together. Other notable mentions: Project Mu HC+800; Hawk HP+ (both are inexpensive improvements over stock)
Rotor: use a quality BLANK rotor like Honda OEM, Brembo or Autozone Duralast
Lines: unless you are frequently attending track days and running a fast pace, I wouldn't bother
Old 12-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definitely do the lines, purely for safety, old rubber tends to dry out and be prone to bursting.
All other advice above is solid.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would:

-Replace brake lines
-Stick with OEM pads for street/spirited driving
-Stick with OEM blank rotors
-Get a set of track pads*

*Without a BBK, 2-piece rotors, or ducting, you're going to need a track pad with a pretty high MOT. Swap in your track pads a few days before your event and you'll clean the transfer layer from the OEM pads off with regular street driving.

The more aggressive pads like the ones you listed will wear quicker and wear your rotors quicker than OEM when you're driving on the street and not at operating temperature. It's a little more money up front, but it saves you money in the long run if you get two dedicated sets of pads. A street/track pad is a good autocross pad that is half-assed at everything else.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd recommend the SOS lines over Goodrich. I bought the goodrich on the advice of another owner, but during the install I realized that the fittings were a little too "generic." Another buddy got the SOS lines and they are a perfect fit.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by devildust
I would definitely do the lines, purely for safety, old rubber tends to dry out and be prone to bursting. All other advice above is solid.
Hoses wear out like any other part of the car when subjected to enough abuse....even braided lines.

In fact braided lines depending on the manufacturer will be made of the same material or less, the braided ss or Kevlar or whatever is on the outside is there to prevent the rubber from expanding. The expansion is what makes you lose brake pressure and your foot go to the floor with enough repeated high effort stops.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

accord caliper conversion
Old 12-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Whether your just looking to upgrade your stock rotors and pads, or switch to a full on big brake kit, we have plenty of options from Stoptech. If you're looking for a setup for daily driving that will perform well on the track I recommend the Stoptech slotted rotors with Street Performance pads. They'll offer increased performance over stock and produce less dust and noise than other performance brake pads/rotors.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c...i-1798790.aspx

If you decide a big brake kit is what you need, Stoptech offers their 4 piston 2-piece caliper and 2-piece 328x28mm rotor kit for $1,721.25.

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-210946.aspx
Old 12-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
Whether your just looking to upgrade your stock rotors and pads, or switch to a full on big brake kit, we have plenty of options from Stoptech. If you're looking for a setup for daily driving that will perform well on the track I recommend the Stoptech slotted rotors with Street Performance pads. They'll offer increased performance over stock and produce less dust and noise than other performance brake pads/rotors. http://store.excelerateperformance.c...i-1798790.aspx If you decide a big brake kit is what you need, Stoptech offers their 4 piston 2-piece caliper and 2-piece 328x28mm rotor kit for $1,721.25. http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-210946.aspx
It's already been mentioned in another thread but auto anything has this kit for 1486 shipped
Old 12-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

I believe that is a limited time sale, and their normal sale price is $1,836. Normally we can price match, but the $1,486 is just too low.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Oem Brake System