S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

WARNING: Cobalt GT-S defective

Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dnace,Aug 13 2010, 10:48 AM
anybody try the newer version?
Check all my posts in this thread to get info on these. i've been using the new versions for 2.5 years for road racing use with no problems at all....and they work great. As i've said before...most of the people complaining here are the ones that ran the pads in a way they weren't supposed to be run. They need to be swapped in and out for the time they are being used for the track only. Do not use them on the street.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Cobalt Friction website:

"Description: Cobalt GT-Sport is a class-winning autocross compound exhibiting very good cold performance, strong/solid initial bite, linear pedal feel with excellent modulation, and high fade resistance. Along with its excellent performance, the GT-Sport compound is rotor friendly and has very good wear rates over a broad operating temperature range. For the serious autocross driver, the GT-Sport will let you take back the time under braking! Also suitable for spirited street driving (i.e. canyon and mountain drives, etc.) and novice to intermediate level HPDE events."
Old 08-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Proven by my pictures and experience to be completely false.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Aug 13 2010, 12:31 PM
From the Cobalt Friction website:

"Description: Cobalt GT-Sport is a class-winning autocross compound exhibiting very good cold performance, strong/solid initial bite, linear pedal feel with excellent modulation, and high fade resistance. Along with its excellent performance, the GT-Sport compound is rotor friendly and has very good wear rates over a broad operating temperature range. For the serious autocross driver, the GT-Sport will let you take back the time under braking! Also suitable for spirited street driving (i.e. canyon and mountain drives, etc.) and novice to intermediate level HPDE events."
Can you link to a current description? I don't see a description for the GT-S on their website right now. Also, the description you posted is outdated from what i've read on this thread. They updated the description to specify that these are track only pads a while back.

From guafboy's post a few up from this:

This was when they were marketing it as street use acceptable and they functioned as such. (This was rougly 2 or 3 years ago obviously.)

Just to reiterate in this dead horse thread...the issue isn't the the quality of the pads anymore. Everyone has already said their piece about how the new compound started off with these crappy symptoms. But then they re-did the compound and changed the description of the pads to track-only.

The only purpose this thread now serves is for people to get other people to boycott Cobalt because of a past mistake. Which is completely fine...just stop beating the dead horse already and tell people what's really up...and what the purpose of this thread is NOW...TODAY. They presently are not defective. >.>
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by nichigo,Aug 13 2010, 02:17 PM
Can you link to a current description?
[QUOTE]
Old 08-15-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by nichigo,Aug 13 2010, 05:17 PM
Can you link to a current description? I don't see a description for the GT-S on their website right now. Also, the description you posted is outdated from what i've read on this thread. They updated the description to specify that these are track only pads a while back.

From guafboy's post a few up from this:

Just to reiterate in this dead horse thread...the issue isn't the the quality of the pads anymore. Everyone has already said their piece about how the new compound started off with these crappy symptoms. But then they re-did the compound and changed the description of the pads to track-only.

The only purpose this thread now serves is for people to get other people to boycott Cobalt because of a past mistake. Which is completely fine...just stop beating the dead horse already and tell people what's really up...and what the purpose of this thread is NOW...TODAY. They presently are not defective. >.>
It comes down to a matter of trust. Cobalt lied to me and many, many other consumers. Ruined wheels in my case and risked the lives of countless others.

Why would I choose Cobalt when there are so many options?

Why would anyone?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:47 AM

^^ There you go...that's the reason of the thread. Not that they're currently defective (which ppl are being led to believe).

Guess it's left to the buyer to read the thread and see whether they feel they can trust cobalt or not. I ordered my cobalts before I got around to reading this thread...so I'm stuck with them. But from my experience, apart from the integrity of the company, they've worked fine as long as i follow the guidelines provided in this thread.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Aug 15 2010, 08:38 AM
Why would I choose Cobalt when there are so many options?

Why would anyone?
Because they make great track pads.

I know almost no one in my circle of track buddies that have gone from Cobalt to Carbotech. The other way doesn't hold true however. I've converted almost everyone that I know from Carbotech to Cobalt and they couldn't be happier.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:36 AM

I went from Cobalt to Carbotech when the Cobalt pads I was using at the time for my S2000 were hopelessly backordered (probably four years ago). I love the Carbotech pads, and the Carbotech folks are responsive to their customers. What's not to like?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched from Cobalt to Carbotech. The backing plates on the Cobalts had to be modified to fit the front calipers to keep the pads from dragging.

I may switch to completely different brand after the carbotech bobcat experience though. Those have to be the worst pads I have ever used.