S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

What are the best bushings to replace to improve ride quality?

Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've actually been considering going with poly for the rear bushings just to keep costs down. Did you notice any extra noise or vibration? That's what I'm mainly concerned about.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:18 PM

I replaced all of my bushings with energy. I noticed a firemen ride wthat is more forgiving. If that makes since. It just seems like the car is sharper. I love it. Get the black bushings, they are a bit better as they have an additive the red ones don't.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by gptoyz
Originally Posted by B serious
Pillow ball bushings don't offer any deflection. They are great for performance, and will totally un-bind the suspension. But in most positions, they will transfer a lot of noise and vibration. They are also more failure prone/maintenance heavy items as compared to rubber. There's a reason manufacturers almost always use rubber for bushings. You should clock all the bushings for their new ride height. They are clocked to stock height when the car leaves the factory. If you lower or raise the car...the bushings need to be clocked to their new position. Inspect your bushings. Replace the ones that are worn/torn. Your clunking could just be loose sway bar links or other suspension hard-parts (ball joints, tie rods, etc).
Manufacturers use rubber because rubber tolerates a wide range of conditions, doesn't rust (possible for spherical), won't seize in freezing conditions, isolates NVH, doesn't need maintenance until they are destroyed. Doesn't need to be machined to tight tolerances

Basically, they are a low cost solution that doesn't bitch.

If you do any performance driving at all the minimum I would go with is the powerflex monoball

Eric .. do whats right... Vance harnesses
Old 08-10-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey OP, how many bushings did you decide to replace?
i looked at an s2000 bushing diagram and it looks like it has a total of 16! O_O
my 02" s2k has over 160,000 miles too, I'm the 3rd owner.
1st owner lived in California, 2nd owner was a friend of mine, and its never been driven in snow.
i was reading the thread about ES bushings (in this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...w/page__st__50) but they look like a pain in the ass to install (you have to to re-use old rings and torch. laborious & messy).
People linked and also mentioned the Powerflex bushings (poly with imbued graphite) so i was thinking of replacing every bushing with those.
So, how many did you end up doing?
and which did you choose to install?
do you think my idea to replace all bushings is overkill?
also, what the hell does it mean to "clock" the bushing?
Old 08-11-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Clock the bushing means you jack an arm up to ride height, and tighten the bushing. If you tighten the bushing with the arm in full droop. When you put the car at normal ride height it will stress the bushings and tear them. Not a problem with spherical bushings, only with rubber/poly or material with built in 'give'

Only fix what's broken. If the bushings aren't torn leave them be.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:36 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Worked on my friend's STi and most of his factory bushings are booted spherical with some sort of polymer liner bearing. I really dig it.

ES or any bushing that has just plastic donuts to replace the stock rubber bushings will not last very long.

Whiteline bushings seem well made...though, I'm still not convinced they will last a long time in a LCA position (maybe I'm wrong).
Old 08-11-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Clock the bushing means you jack an arm up to ride height, and tighten the bushing. If you tighten the bushing with the arm in full droop. When you put the car at normal ride height it will stress the bushings and tear them. Not a problem with spherical bushings, only with rubber/poly or material with built in 'give'

Only fix what's broken. If the bushings aren't torn leave them be.
ah, thank your for this definition! I was googling and youtube searching and didn't see anything.
Nobody actually mentioned this in any instructional videos or install manuals either.
Seems you guys are a bit smarter than the average bear