S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Wheel bearings & Suspension Bushings

Old 05-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If I were you I'd just replace with stock bushings. Hard rubber increases bind and you're screwing with the effective spring rate and reducing suspension compliance in the wrong way. Yes, you're decreasing alignment deflection under load, but at a cost to responsiveness to bumps. I say either stock or spherical if you really think you need to control your alignment more under load because you're using R-comps on track or the car is 90% track.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
If I were you I'd just replace with stock bushings. Hard rubber increases bind and you're screwing with the effective spring rate and reducing suspension compliance in the wrong way. Yes, you're decreasing alignment deflection under load, but at a cost to responsiveness to bumps. I say either stock or spherical if you really think you need to control your alignment more under load because you're using R-comps on track or the car is 90% track.
I've seen your posts about the sphericals, and a set of stock arms is basically at or more than the price for a set of nice sphericals. Do sphericals really ride that nice?

I can understand why they ride super smooth on good roads since the suspension is let to do what its supposed to. How are the rattling attributes over freeway ridges, potholes, and cracked pavements? I know that sharp impacts like freeway reflectors have a sharp clink, but im more concerned with chassis vibration/noise/rattle.

Also if you have even ridden in or know about the ballade set, I am curious how it compares to the Blacktrax/kingpin
Old 05-18-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Check out the thread on sphericals. Lots of positive comments on ride quality. The only negatives aside from cost is longevity. Maybe not the choice for a 3 season commuter, but otherwise a fine choice.

How much stiffer really are these aftermarket rubber bushings than stock? Because of the small range of motion of our suspensions, I don't think stiffer rubber is going to have that much impact. Plus I imagine the rubbers spring effect is so much less than the springs themselves, that, say, doubling the rubber spring effect will have minimal impact on overall stiffness.

I say go aftermarket rubber.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:16 PM

So, I found a picture with my passenger side lower shock bushing in it, to get an idea of the bushing wear/tear
(from when the suspension was getting worked on for the Ohlins and roll center adjusters)

zoomed in:

The crack looks bad to me since it goes almost to the arm and the center ring especially since it is not under load in this picture either.
Thoughts?

I'll see if I have time to raise the car this weekend to get more pics
Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Default Mugen vs Spoon

Do Mugen and Spoon use the exact same rubber hardness? I want to know if spoon is harsher than mugen. I see posts that claim Mugen looks just like OEM, the molds, stampings, and all, so it seems like either spoon is harsher, or they are the same.

Also, I see that the Rear Upper Control Arms are different on AP1s and AP2s.

Spoon:
I have found full sets of Spoon bushings AP1 and AP2 that address the difference.

Mugen:
I have found only the AP1 set of Mugen UCA bushings (rear & front are the same on AP1s)
Mugen Part Number: 51455-XGS-S0N0

Does a Mugen set of Rear UCA bushings exist for the AP2 chassis? Because the mugen ones are cheaper most places

Last edited by singhgugu; 05-22-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:56 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. Just bought a 2004 with 150k. Every mount so far I have taken off has been completely cracked thru (motor,trans,diff). This week I'm going to replace the axels and wheel bearings/hubs, then I was going to drive it a little before I did all the bushings. I'm leaning twords HR