S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

55,000km = Head Gasket Replacement?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 55,000km = Head Gasket Replacement?

So I had noticed some minor staining on the block last year and figured this year I would clean up the stains and see just how bad the leak really was. Well after my track day over the weekend lets just say the Smoke coming out of the exhaust was a big enough sign for me to know Iv got issues. I took a look at the block and had considerable seeping of oil coming from the headgasket.

Has anyone else had to replace theirs yet? Especially with such low mileage?

I wasn't anticipating such a hefty bill so soon, but at least I get to build my motor...sigh
Old 04-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

^^ I think you are talking about the valve cover gasket, that is very different from the head gasket.

Its definitely not common for head gaskets to fail on these cars unless you are boosted, specially with such low miles.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 on the valve cover gasket..................... hopefully. I know it's recommended it be changed each time you have the valve cover off or they can tend to weep.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CR EH
So I had noticed some minor staining on the block last year and figured this year I would clean up the stains and see just how bad the leak really was. Well after my track day over the weekend lets just say the Smoke coming out of the exhaust was a big enough sign for me to know Iv got issues. I took a look at the block and had considerable seeping of oil coming from the headgasket.

Has anyone else had to replace theirs yet? Especially with such low mileage?

I wasn't anticipating such a hefty bill so soon, but at least I get to build my motor...sigh
The other's are probably right on the valve cover gasket. Head gaskets never really leak to the outside of the engine, just between the combustion chamber and the water channels in the block. Have you had a valve adjustment on your car?

The smoke you are seeing at the track is likely from sucking oil up in the PCV and pulling it into the intake manifold. Member Biohazard had some good info in his build thread about his catch can and PCV line clamp solution. I've started to just use a clamp on the PCV line and I don't see the smoke anymore. $9 at amazon and you're ready to get back out on track.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:31 AM

My local forum has helped to confirm that it is not the head gasket but it is coming from the gasket for the timing chain in the front of the motor. My valve cover gasket is also leaking but there are two different areas leaking. I have been suggested to tighten all my bolts, apparently its possible that the 4 allen key bolts can become a tad loose, so I would suggest you all just snug them up.

The smoking issue has been suggested to be related to the PCV, so Ill look into that as well. Is it really that big of a deal if I get some smoke during hard lapping? Its not hurting anything right?

Here is the link to my local forum thread for reference

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...#entry23129644
Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Sorry for the repost, but after doing this lap after lap I got black flagged and people were not happy with me haha

Smoking by Adrs2k, on Flickr

I would follow the other suggestions and either do a catch can or clamp the line. You don't want to be burning this much oil. My exhaust was coated in burnt oil that took some scrubbing. I checked my oil level and burned the equivalent of one X on the dipstick. It is not good for the engine to be ingesting and burning oil.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think going around tightening bolts is a good idea, but be sure to use a torque wrench and the FSM when doing so. The 4 allen head bolts only hold down the little coil pack cover. There are five 10mm bolts with seats and seals that hold the valve cover down. I wouldn't expect these to be loose under normal operation, only if someone removed them. Generally you get these types of leaks when seals fail or they're installed incorrectly. With the way the valve cover gasket fits into the cover it makes it real tempting to reuse the gasket. Have you had a valve adjustment or the valve cover off for any other reason?

As for the smoke, when you burn oil you will leave carbon on the surfaces in the combustion chamber, including the valves--so it's less than ideal, but not the end of the world.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Hondabond also helps provide that extra seal on the gasket. Not really needed in new gasket replacements.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Id recommend a catch can. Sounds like that same problem I get on high speed high rev sweepers where a plume of smoke comes out the back. Looks just like the pic above.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:18 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. If the smoke continues I'll definitely be purchasing a catch can setup.

I have never had my valve cover gasket off, and I have never had my valves adjusted.

There are four allen head bolts, two go directly into the block (8mm), two press the block to the head (6mm). They are marked from the factory so I could see that they haven't moved significantly. I just simply hand snug them, they barely moved anyways but it doesn't take much I'm sure. My valve cover bolts moved quite a bit however.