S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 CR Club Racer Edition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-cr-club-racer-edition-279/)
-   -   Add or Change to CR suspension setup? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-cr-club-racer-edition-279/add-change-cr-suspension-setup-870395/)

s2kcrsrt8 05-22-2011 11:54 AM

Add or Change to CR suspension setup?

Has anyone messed with the CR suspension to see any positive benefits from it.
I currently run autox and just trying to see if there is anything worth changing for a good set up.
let me know what you guys think

jza 05-22-2011 12:10 PM

If you look at the S2k Challenge rule, you will see that equipping a CR suspension costs one full point. I am sure that you would get benefit from the CR suspension. I guess what matters to you are the cost, points and effectiveness.

s2kcrsrt8 05-22-2011 03:18 PM

I already have a CR im taking about too add or change to the current set up to provide better handling/autox

patinum 05-23-2011 08:21 AM

The CR suspension is pretty great as is, so you'll have to spend a lot of money to get any sort of benefit. If you're looking to play by SCCA rules for B-stock, I would start with one of the big front sway bars (see the racing and competition faq). Then maybe some $4K penske's or motons. Koni's should give you the benefit of adjustability but aren't hands down better. I'm not sure what the consensus is on what's good in STR - I imagine the same motons/penskes but can throw in billstein, ohlins, or even kwV3.

Basically, for autox, the S2000 (cr or base) is awesome out of the box and you'll really have to spend some money for any improvement. There's little reason to upgrade a base S2000 in general. Since the CR setup is better for racing compared to the base, you really have less of a reason to.

psychoazn 05-23-2011 09:47 AM

If you sell your CR suspension, I may want to buy yours as a spare; mine is getting rather old....

s2kcrsrt8 05-23-2011 04:54 PM

I understand the CR suspension is an Excellent set up as it is but is there anything small things like stiffer springs or sway bars that could benefit the standard set up?

I dont really care about lowering ride hight but im just trying to figure out something worth upgrading to make her stick and have less body roll
Also something to help at the track since i may start tracking im a young guy so stiffness on the roads and bumpy is not a problem with me

patinum 05-24-2011 08:06 AM

Short answer - no. There isn't really anything small you can do to improve the car.

The least expensive and most helpful is probably a front sway bar. It really helps for autox and is BS legal, but not a huge improvement since the sway bars on the CR have the stiffest front of any S2000 and least stiff rear. It's a must for national level competition. You'll lose some time in the tight stuff as the car will be less willing to rotate, but you'll gain some time in the long sweepers.

Personally, I don't like the idea of springs without matching shocks. It adds unnecessary wear and tear on the shocks and changes the engineered suspension geometry. You'll probably find the car transitions quicker but at the cost of predictable progressiveness. It also may take some time to determine which front/rear spring stiffness ratio's work best for your driving style. So if you do springs, at least do koni's so you can adjust them.

J's camber joints are a good idea for tracking, but I don't know if they'll be a big help when autoxing. I know I could use more camber - it's just not within my rule set.

That's pretty much the only small stuff you can do.

The above part is where I talk to you like a veteran, the below is where I talk to you like a beginner. I can come off as a dick but I'm really trying to be helpful:

I'm assuming you're relatively new to motorsports. Forgive me if you're not. I've just seen it happen many times where someone, myself included, gets into motorsports, falls in love, and looks for areas on their car to improve. First time autocrossers usually come to the immediate conclusion that they need coilovers. That shouldn't be their focus, especially when you have one of the most capable stock cars ever produced (and most JDM coilovers aren't very good at all). Beginners should focus on themselves and their driving and not their car. If stock springs/shocks can get an S2000 CR to win SCCA Nationals, that obviously isn't the weak point of the car. (And not to brag but) if my 100% stock CR with RA1's can come within .025 seconds of a track's lap record, then the suspension isn't a weak point. I'd say run the car stock for now and enjoy it. No need to fix what's not broken. Aside from what I mentioned above, with all it's caveats, I really don't think you can improve the car's handling without spending several thousands of dollars. And the money is better spent on seat time and tires (when you need them since the stock RE070's are amazing).

s2kcrsrt8 05-24-2011 08:41 AM

Thanks for the great explanation... I am a novice when it comes to suspension and how the car needs to be set up in order to have the best handling abilities
I currently run in STR and seem to be doing fine at my local autox events but I know that experience and good time is your best weapon when improving lap times
The reason I was asking for suspension is I have basic bolt ones Js 70rr, Js header, Aem CAI, flashpro, Jeff E-Tune... This season I have brand new Hankook RS3 on
I want to keep building the car im just lost on what step to take next....

Supercharger/Turbo set up
Wheels= Ce28n :)
mess with suspension
Brake upgrades

All in question so just trying to figure out my next path
I want to build right since our CRs are very rare and prestigious cars I want to make sure im not disappointing any true CR fans without a quality build :tipwink:

psychoazn 05-24-2011 09:29 AM

s2kcrsrt8: When you move to SD, I'd like to swap some seat time with your car; you can see what a non-staggered setup feels like.

My short term plan is as follows:

My car currently has difficulty powering out of turns; I'm going to do one last alignment to see if I can alleviate this in any way without compromising tire wear (excessively... this is subjective since I"m already getting a new set every 2 months or so...). If I can't solve the problem this way, then I'll get a FSB.

Currently, my car is extremely neutral on turn-in; I can induce under or oversteer at will by changing how I enter the turn. I want to retain this, but add rear grip on sustained cornering load (sweepers, and high-speed flat-on-the-gas turns).

Personally, I would agree with Patinum; focus on seat time (socal is awesome for this with the sheer number of events going on). Brake upgrades would be wise if you decide to start coming on track. If you plan on going with a non-staggered setup, my opinion on this is split. It may be beneficial to start non-staggered, since it has a separate learning curve, but you may not truely appreciate it without feeling the terminal understeer of a staggered setup.

My rolled fenders, technically, disqualify me from STR. I need to start AutoXing.

takchi 05-24-2011 12:16 PM

@s2kcrsrt8: You're moving to SD? Looks like the CR population just increased here! Hit me up when you move down here! :) Just drive the car as is and make changes accordingly.

The shocks are stated to be 50% stiffer front and 32% stiffer rear than AP2 shocks. Twohoos suggested that it's possible the CR shocks are slightly overdamped. Who knows until we start mix and matching setups. FSB should be the next mod in the future for me if I want to keep the non-stag setup.