S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Add Stereo to Delete CR

Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add Stereo to Delete CR

Just curious, has anyone added a head unit and door speakers to a delete CR? I'm wondering if the harness and speaker wiring is present... I'm guessing it's not :-p

2+ hour drives to Autocross events are a drag with headphones or a weak portable speaker setup, I'd like something more permanent and higher powered without adding much weight.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Matt,

People have added it into the delete models, however all the necessary wiring is not present. The installation isn't too demanding though. The toughest part is getting the speaker wire from the doors into the cabin (it just takes time).

Once those are in, just constant power, accessory power and ground and you're set. Pretty straight forward.

-Ira
Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by #172CR
Matt,

People have added it into the delete models, however all the necessary wiring is not present. The installation isn't too demanding though. The toughest part is getting the speaker wire from the doors into the cabin (it just takes time).

Once those are in, just constant power, accessory power and ground and you're set. Pretty straight forward.

-Ira
Thanks Ira! Sounds reasonable, I'm going to order a head unit and some door speakers and hopefully install them next month

Hope all is well!
Matt

Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when you take it out would you mind weighing the stereo? I have been considering converting the other way (deleting ac and radio), but only if is worth it weight wise. The radio is nice, and ac is nearly indispensable up here in the summer if one wants to keep a nice and new car smelling ride

Good Luck. Sounds like a nice winter mini project
Old 12-05-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by nlink720
Well when you take it out would you mind weighing the stereo? I have been considering converting the other way (deleting ac and radio), but only if is worth it weight wise. The radio is nice, and ac is nearly indispensable up here in the summer if one wants to keep a nice and new car smelling ride

Oh, sorry, I have a delete CR so I won't have a stock stereo to weigh - I'm going to just add an aftermarket head unit and some speakers.

I think most aftermarket head units weigh around 5 lbs, I'm guessing you'd save about 15-20 lbs if you remove your OEM head unit, speakers, and wiring.

Man, I haven't looked at aftermarket car audio prices in like a decade - it's amazing how cheap head units have gotten!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by skibbz
Originally Posted by nlink720' timestamp='1323124444' post='21213134

Oh, sorry, I have a delete CR so I won't have a stock stereo to weigh - I'm going to just add an aftermarket head unit and some speakers.

I think most aftermarket head units weigh around 5 lbs, I'm guessing you'd save about 15-20 lbs if you remove your OEM head unit, speakers, and wiring.

Man, I haven't looked at aftermarket car audio prices in like a decade - it's amazing how cheap head units have gotten!

I know the feeling on the pricing of how stereos have fallen. I wanted to add, you're going to have to buy a new radio door, two pins, and the spring so you have a moving door for the radio. Again, not hard to install at all. Let me know if you need help.

Ira
Old 12-07-2011, 03:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

39lbs is the total weight from removing all oem stereo and a/c components. A few have done it for stock class in Solo competition.

-Marc
Old 12-07-2011, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Marc. I'm considering it for STR. 39 lbs is quite a bit...
Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by #172CR
Originally Posted by skibbz' timestamp='1323134962' post='21213572
[quote name='nlink720' timestamp='1323124444' post='21213134']

I know the feeling on the pricing of how stereos have fallen. I wanted to add, you're going to have to buy a new radio door, two pins, and the spring so you have a moving door for the radio. Again, not hard to install at all. Let me know if you need help.

Ira
[/quote]

Oh, that's great to know, Ira. I was assuming that I would just use the existing radio door, I thought there were just screws holding it shut. Thank you, sir!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:56 PM

You might be able to just re use the door, I'm not sure if it has the mechanics to allow it to open or not, hopefully it does!

Quick Reply: Add Stereo to Delete CR