S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

adding a manual soft top

Old 04-09-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TPhong
Something like so???

What is going on here?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by secUnd3r
Originally Posted by TPhong' timestamp='1333720238' post='21582154
Something like so???

What is going on here?
Adding a soft top to the CR
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by secUnd3r
What is going on here?
Originally Posted by S2000 Type_S
Adding a soft top to the CR
^ You got it! It's actually done, but we've been super busy getting everything else ready for WTD. The only thing lacking is the modifications need to the rear tray to make it fit over the rear brace.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Mulder's car?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by #172CR
Mulder's car?
Yep
Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM

so this means for us non CR guys, that we can add the CR rear brace if we ditch the motors and mod the tray.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by street_ruler
so this means for us non CR guys, that we can add the CR rear brace if we ditch the motors and mod the tray.

It is a little more complicated than that. I don't want to give out Jason and Toyo details, I will let them share.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by street_ruler
You can add the CR brace and leave the motors if you want, you'll just need to adjust the stops up so the glass window doesn't hit the brace. We still haven't had time to alter the tray, but we have 2 options to consider. 1. cutting the tray out, where the brace sticks up slightly through, or 2. heating the tray up, and getting the tray to remold itself around the bar. No matter how you do it, there will either be a bulge from the CR brace, or the whole tray will have to sit up higher.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 AM

modifying the stops....interesting. the things you learn when its too late
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by TPhong
We still haven't had time to alter the tray, but we have 2 options to consider. 1. cutting the tray out, where the brace sticks up slightly through, or 2. heating the tray up, and getting the tray to remold itself around the bar. No matter how you do it, there will either be a bulge from the CR brace, or the whole tray will have to sit up higher.
Actually, there is a 3rd and 4th choice. When I did this well over 2 years ago, I cut the ends of the tray out so the bar can come up through the tray. The bar center lays just on top of the tray and the top folds back just fine into its normal position without the glass hitting the bar. I padded the top of the bar with a little thin adhesive backed foam just in case it bounces a little. The tray slips in under the bar and up into place with a little patience and mild cursing.

Since then, I've considered modifying the bar itself to let the OEM CR tonneau cover be installed over the retracted top. What I plan is to cut the ends off and flip the bar 180 degrees so the bow faces down, as much as clearance allows. I have to do some more measurements to know if this will work or not.

Another possibility, and more in line with the light weight nature of the CR would be to simply leave the tray out altogether.

And Yes, you can install the entire top, motors, drip rail system, and all. Just keep in mind none of the electrical components or wiring are there and you will have to put all those back in as well. I cannibalized a standard S2000 wreck for the wire harnesses, switches, and control modules. I published a parts list somewhere, but can't seem to find it right this minute.

Quick Reply: adding a manual soft top