S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Buying a CR long distance

Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a CR long distance

Hi all,

I recently test drove a 2008 CR up here in Canada. I was quite impressed with the car. I feel it a nice step up from my Integra Type-R which was recently stolen. Obviously these cars were never sold in Canada, and there is only one for sale locally at a hefty premium ($33,000 CDN). So, I would like to purchase one from the US, fly down and drive back. Just wondering if there are any useful tips, or questions, you might have for buying long distance. Anything to give peace of mind to the transaction?

I've read the buying tips for regular S2000's, so I'm sure most of it is already covered, but maybe there are some CR-specific questions.

Hoping to be joining the community soon!
Scott.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use common sense and your head when buying & try to take emotion out of the equation

use Autocheck AND Carfax !!!
most CR's I looked at before mine had some sort of damage as most are abused

make sure all the CR accessories are there
-tire pump & sealant
-tonneau cover triangles
&
-both keys & remotes
-check all VIN numbers

oh yeah get plenty of sleep before driving back
Old 05-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty2H
Hi all,

I recently test drove a 2008 CR up here in Canada. I was quite impressed with the car. I feel it a nice step up from my Integra Type-R which was recently stolen. Obviously these cars were never sold in Canada, and there is only one for sale locally at a hefty premium ($33,000 CDN). So, I would like to purchase one from the US, fly down and drive back. Just wondering if there are any useful tips, or questions, you might have for buying long distance. Anything to give peace of mind to the transaction?

I've read the buying tips for regular S2000's, so I'm sure most of it is already covered, but maybe there are some CR-specific questions.

Hoping to be joining the community soon!
Scott.
If you've never imported a car into Canada before I suggest you look at this first: http://www.riv.ca/. Depending on what province you live in, on top of the purchase price you will eventually pay an addtional 18.1% on the car (12% HST and 6.1% duty). Not sure which state you're planning on driving into Canada from but if it's WA, you have to use the truck border crossing and they need all paperwork regarding car exportation a minimum of 72 hours before you cross. IIRC, US Customs in regards to car exportation is only open until 4 pm, Mon-Fri, so you're going to need to plan ahead.

This is only a brief primer on the things you will need to do (there are other things before AND after the car is in Canada that need to be done).

I'm a Canadian owner of S2000 CR no. 26.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:43 PM

I wouldn't want to drive a CR on Canadian roads. I like having all my organs in their proper places.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:08 AM

Our roads aren't that bad. Also, I thought my Type-R road quite a bit rougher than the CR. My girlfriend even made that comment during the test drive.

Good call on the tire kit and tonneau cover triangles. I didn't think of those.

And thanks for the comments Red 5. I`ve never imported a car before, but I studied the RIV website a couple days ago. Seems like a straight forward process but cumbersome process.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Make sure you do all the planning ahead of time so your not stuck waiting at the border with the car. Also, It might be a good idea to go down and purchase the car in person and arrange to have the car transported back. Thats what I did, much safer for the car and you might avoid having to pay state taxes, if that may apply?

Goodluck!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by CR EH
Make sure you do all the planning ahead of time so your not stuck waiting at the border with the car. Also, It might be a good idea to go down and purchase the car in person and arrange to have the car transported back. Thats what I did, much safer for the car and you might avoid having to pay state taxes, if that may apply?

Goodluck!
Good tip.

I went to Buffalo today to see a CR at Towne BMW. I emailed the dealer prior and was told "This is an absolutely gorgeous vehicle" and "[Previous Owner] took great care of this S2000 and it has no issues"

When I got there, it was parked on a curb so the front lip was chewed. There was a large scrape on the rear bumper next to the wheel (it rubbed something, or something rubbed it). A HUGE scratch on the tonneau cover in the centre. Many light scratches on the trunk all around the base of the hardtop. The front driver seat had massive wear (for 28,000 miles)and even some small tears in the seam. Previous owner was a smoker. The triangles were missing. Best price they gave was $25,919

I hate dealers.