S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 CR Club Racer Edition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-cr-club-racer-edition-279/)
-   -   Center console touch up (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-cr-club-racer-edition-279/center-console-touch-up-1034011/)

mgfloCR 07-23-2013 09:48 AM

Center console touch up

So I sat in my CR the other evening and noticed a musty, burning odor. I didn't know where it was coming from until the next day where I found my iSimple cord had melted into my center console. Pretty upset this happened, but more importantly, boggled by HOW this happened. I managed to separate it from thr leather/plastic. Any ideas? And any suggestions in touching this up/replacing it? I'll try to post pics.

mgfloCR 07-23-2013 10:11 AM

https://i1274.photobucket.com/albums...pse27069c0.jpg

https://i1274.photobucket.com/albums...psfc5ec150.jpg

https://i1274.photobucket.com/albums...psc29f5be8.jpg

adrs2k 07-23-2013 10:12 AM

Oh wow thats kind of scary. Good thing it was only the console and didnt catch the whole interior on fire.

I would just go and replace the leather and center console with brand new pieces.

mgfloCR 07-23-2013 10:52 AM

Yeah, that was my original plan. But I was hoping for someone who may have a cheaper alternative idea.

#172CR 07-23-2013 12:02 PM

Lol I just bought a new console... Not cheap. Haha. No ideas unless the leather can be re done by an upholstery shop

Hoang 07-23-2013 01:54 PM

Is it their product? http://www.isimplesolutions.com/

If yes, one of their cable destroyed my iPhone and iPod. The cable just made both unit inoperable, wouldn't turn on or charge. I emailed them about the complaint which at that time, the iPhone was fairly new, couple of months but the iPod was no longer under warranty. iPhone was swapped for free (lucky for them) and they cut me a check for $200 to replace the iPod and sent me a replacement iSimple unit. If this is a safety issue, they can get into a lot of trouble.

mgfloCR 07-23-2013 02:30 PM

To be fair, I've had it for a few years. It's the iSimple I had picked up from Best Buy. I had it installed and it's using an XM connection. It's just bizarre how it just happens. I'll email iSimple the issue and maybe I can get the dealership to help me out since my CR is still under full warranty. But yeah, watch out guys!

des_si 07-23-2013 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hoang (Post 22683127)

If yes, one of their cable destroyed my iPhone and iPod. The cable just made both unit inoperable, wouldn't turn on or charge. I emailed them about the complaint which at that time, the iPhone was fairly new, couple of months but the iPod was no longer under warranty. iPhone was swapped for free (lucky for them) and they cut me a check for $200 to replace the iPod and sent me a replacement iSimple unit. If this is a safety issue, they can get into a lot of trouble.

Originally Posted by mgfloCR (Post 22683183)
To be fair, I've had it for a few years. It's the iSimple I had picked up from Best Buy. I had it installed and it's using an XM connection. It's just bizarre how it just happens. I'll email iSimple the issue and maybe I can get the dealership to help me out since my CR is still under full warranty. But yeah, watch out guys!

Seriously, there is no reason that this should be happening. Thankfully it didn't do too much damage.... but Hoang is absolutely correct that the company can get in BIG trouble if this is happening with any sort of regularity with their products. Technically, this is a defect and the company should pay to replace anything that was damaged as a result... it doesn't matter that you've had the product for a few years.

I would suggest that you document every repair/replacement you make as a result of this and demand that they reimburse you. I"m an attorney and if you need any advice feel free to pm me:)

mgfloCR 07-23-2013 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by des_si (Post 22683320)

Originally Posted by Hoang' timestamp='1374616440' post='22683127

Originally Posted by mgfloCR (Post 22683183)

Seriously, there is no reason that this should be happening. Thankfully it didn't do too much damage.... but Hoang is absolutely correct that the company can get in BIG trouble if this is happening with any sort of regularity with their products. Technically, this is a defect and the company should pay to replace anything that was damaged as a result... it doesn't matter that you've had the product for a few years.

I would suggest that you document every repair/replacement you make as a result of this and demand that they reimburse you. I"m an attorney and if you need any advice feel free to pm me:)

I really appreciate the advice, des_si! :D I emailed the company, I'll let all of you know the response as soon as I get it. Sucks though, because I'm afraid of driving my CR or even turning it on for that matter until I find the root cause.

Hoang 07-25-2013 01:15 PM

I had the unit since 2008, the incident happened like a little over a year ago.

mgfloCR 07-25-2013 03:49 PM

So I got a prompt response (I initialized his name...):

"I apologize for the troubles you are having. Do you know what is the model of the unit you have. Can you send me a copy of the receipt if you have it . I also need make, model and year of vehicle.

Sincerely,
R.O.
AAMP of America"

Then replied and forwarded the receipts later that day (Good thing Best Buy has that database) after this response:

"I do not have the kit model yet, I will have to uninstall the kit to tell you the specifics. I will be able to email you a receipt as soon as I receive it from Best Buy which takes 24 hours. However, I can tell you from my bank statement and a Best Buy representative that the receipt shows it was purchased on Oct. 3, 2009 for a total $159.74. It was also installed at Best Buy on Oct. 6, 2009 for $58.57. The car it was installed in is a 2008 Honda S2000 CR with A/C and radio.

I appreciate the prompt response and again, I will forward you the receipt as soon as I receive it."

The kit model ended up on the receipt, ISIM71, so I didn't have to mess with the unit, thankfully.

mgfloCR 07-25-2013 03:52 PM

And now I'm waiting in limbo...

"Hello,
i have forward all of your information to our customer service."

Good thing I had Best Buy install it 3 days later and I sent them that receipt too! So there's no way they can nail me for mishandling their product.

RuthlessS2K 07-25-2013 04:26 PM

Ouch!

des_si 07-25-2013 04:31 PM

I'm glad they responded so quickly! Keep us updated with what they come back with:)

s2k4life_az 07-25-2013 09:37 PM

Sure is an expensive lesson to learn about not keeping anything plugged in for an extended period of time. I hope it works our for you. If you get a new console get your production number stitched into the leather or suede. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

mgfloCR 08-08-2013 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by s2k4life_az (Post 22688127)
Sure is an expensive lesson to learn about not keeping anything plugged in for an extended period of time. I hope it works our for you. If you get a new console get your production number stitched into the leather or suede. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Nothing was plugged in, thankfully! Otherwise, I bet I would've had a fried Ipod too!

mgfloCR 08-08-2013 07:01 AM

UPDATE:

So much for their "fast" responses... It took another week to get some kind of real update from them.

July 26
Me: "May I ask how this situation is being handled and what has progressed?"

July 29
Rep: "Customer service is handling your case. They just wanted all of your information on the consumer return."

Aug 2
Me: "I've patiently waited this entire week, what is the status of my case? I appreciate it."
Rep: "I do apologize for the delay customer service does have all of your information. Monday morning i will find out the status on your case."

Aug 6
Me: "I need an update on what will be done about the defective item and the damage it caused, please."

Aug 7
Rep: "I have spoke with our customer service team and they will reply to you. They are also sending you a new cable to replace the one you have."
Me: "I need to know what is going to be done for the damages the product has caused on my center console. This is a fire safety hazard issue and I expect to be reimbursed for the costs of replacing this, not just simply replacing the kit."

Today
Rep: "My customer service team and i would like to review to Ipod cable you currently have. Can you ship the IPOD cable to our Corporate Headquarters, 13190 56th Court, Clearwater FL 33760."

Once we have determine what was the cause of the short we will reply back with our result."

Soooooooooo... it took ~2 weeks to finally get something down. Is there anything to be concerned about? For example, taking the unit off and voiding any service for "mishandling" of the product. I'm definitely will be taking all the pics before and after disassembling it. Even if they send me that replacement, I'm not even sure if I want to use their product anymore if it potentially cause problems like this.

Hoang 08-08-2013 09:04 AM

You need to send them the defective cable so they can "review" and "test" it in their lab. Once they're done with that portion, they will come back to you with how much they will reimburse you for the cost of all the damages. For your information, they will most likely pay out less than what it is worth so just make sure you can state some facts about the prices and negotiate your way up..

mgfloCR 08-08-2013 04:27 PM

I went ahead and extracted the iSimple unit (So thankful for all the DIY part removal videos! :D )

Nothing out of the ordinary, electrical tape used to consolidate the wiring and the unit was behind the passenger shelf.
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6ea8bbe.jpg
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...psee9743f9.jpg

But here's an interesting observation with the bundled wires. Noticed that it's all bubbled and even melted open. After 4 years, did the heat get to it? Or perhaps a closed circuit within the wiring?
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3cde24e8.jpg

Well, I'll be sending all this hopefully tomorrow. I thought about just driving over to Clearwater since it's only ~2 hours from Orlando.

Originally Posted by Hoang (Post 22713804)
You need to send them the defective cable so they can "review" and "test" it in their lab. Once they're done with that portion, they will come back to you with how much they will reimburse you for the cost of all the damages. For your information, they will most likely pay out less than what it is worth so just make sure you can state some facts about the prices and negotiate your way up..

Thanks for the heads up, Hoang! :thumbup: But at least I can give the s2ki community an idea of what kind of company we are buying products from. ;)

mgfloCR 08-08-2013 04:54 PM

And just in case anyone was wondering, no other wire harnesses had this problem. Only the iPod connector, not even the power connector into the head unit. Nothing was unusual even behind the head unit and shelf. The wire bundle was freely hanging for the most part.

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...psdfb0de36.jpg
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1b61f640.jpg
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...psf1f188da.jpg

mgfloCR 08-09-2013 06:36 AM

Their liability info from their website may give me problems for reimbursement :( :

Liability: Neither iSimple, AAMP of Florida, Inc., any of their subsidiaries or affiliates, Nor any such person's or entity's respective partners, officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives or agents may be held liable for direct, special, incidental, consequential, punitive, or indirect damages arising from, but not limited to, the sale, transportation, installation, use or repair of its products, or the use of this website, which is available on an "as is" and "as available" basis. You, as an iSimple customer, will be responsible for selecting a reputable installer with current liability insurance to cover any damage that may arise through installation of an iSimple product. Should the customer choose to install the product hm/herself, iSimple is not liable for any damages to property or injuries incurred by the consumer or other parties. iSimple's listing and recommendation of an installer or installation facility does not constitute grounds for any liability. You therefore agree that iSimple's maximum liability arising from any product sold by iSimple shall not exceed the price of such product. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitation of exclusion of liability for certain damages, so the above may not apply to you to the extent such jurisdiction's law is applicable to this agreement.

So a forewarning to anybody thinking about trying their products. I asked for a return shipping label and haven't gotten a response yet. I'd like to ship it out today and then get quote on the replacement/repair from the dealership. Things aren't looking bright after reading that... :(

UPDATE:
They wouldn't provide me a shipping/return label.

FurY 08-09-2013 07:42 AM

Really sucks to hear you're dealing with all this but I can't say I'm surprised by the "service" you're getting either. It seems like most companies these days just don't want to do anymore than they absolutely have to and make you jump through hoops to even get anywhere (which may become a dead end anyway).

Best of luck in getting the matter resolved... I'm not sure if you think it's worth your time and money, and I hate that this is sometimes what you have to do to get anything done but, if you really want to drive the point home I would have an attorney draft up a letter to send to the company to try and get resolution. Sometimes just the threat of legal action alone is enough for them to own up and resolve the problem.

thenoxus1 08-09-2013 10:36 AM

A simple thing like that is not grounds to not reimburse you in court. Just because they write that doesn't mean it holds in court. Trust me. My local news station does investigations etc, contact them about the risk of fires and they may look into it. That may be enough to spook iSimple.

des_si 08-13-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by thenoxus1 (Post 22715789)
A simple thing like that is not grounds to not reimburse you in court. Just because they write that doesn't mean it holds in court. Trust me. My local news station does investigations etc, contact them about the risk of fires and they may look into it. That may be enough to spook iSimple.

Yes, this is true! Most courts would not hold up a provision like this because it is too general. Also, you never signed an agreement to this effect. Just because they put this on their website, doesn't mean you will never get a reimbursement from them!

I think you can definitely get them to reimburse you for some, if not all, of the damage. But you have to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle.... because it might take a bit of hassle unfortunately.

mgfloCR 08-14-2013 11:30 AM

UPDATE:

So I received these 2 emails today.

First, from the rep:
"We have just received your module and your cable. I have released your unit to our customer service team for evaluation. As soon as I get a response from them I will contact you. Thank You for your patients.
R.O."

Second, from customer service:
"Sir,
We have received your correspondence with our Technical staff in relation to your iSimple unit and have received the parts for review. Due to the condition of the cable, we are unable to determine a definite cause of failure. However, we will be happy to replace your unit with an updated unit.

Your updated unit will ship today from our Clearwater, Florida warehouse to the Orlando, Florida address provided.

Thank you for using iSimple.

K.K."

They received my unit on Monday (I tracked it through USPS). I received the replacement unit, which is way more updated than the one I had bought. But it seems sketchy to me to simply say that they can't look into the cable because of the condition? Am I wrong to get an eye twitch from this?

I responded with this:
"K.,
It would be in both of our interests to figure out how this product overheated to the point of melting. Simply replacing the unit will not undo the damages this iSimple product has done to my car. I have already gotten a quote from the local dealer on replacement parts, however the leather portion of my console may be not be replaceable due to the car's discontinuation. My only option would be reupholstering it.

I want to know that this unit is being examined thoroughly for the cause of failure and any reimbursement for the damages it has caused.

Thank you and I appreciate your time"

mgfloCR 08-14-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by des_si (Post 22722787)

Originally Posted by thenoxus1' timestamp='1376073416' post='22715789

Yes, this is true! Most courts would not hold up a provision like this because it is too general. Also, you never signed an agreement to this effect. Just because they put this on their website, doesn't mean you will never get a reimbursement from them!

I think you can definitely get them to reimburse you for some, if not all, of the damage. But you have to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle.... because it might take a bit of hassle unfortunately.

Yeah, the hassle is starting to rise now. I really appreciate the feedback and really hope this ends on a positive note.

And FYI, for all the CR owners, that leather side wall on the center console is not available through Honda, nor was it an option it seems. So treat it well!

Vanishing Point 08-14-2013 12:06 PM

Try Majestic Honda for that part mgfloCR.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...tcgry5=CONSOLE

mgfloCR 08-14-2013 12:10 PM

Got a quick response:

"Sir,
The unit you will be receiving has a cable that will handle a 1 amp load, versus the 5volts carried by the original cable. The 5volt cable is no longer used on that module because the new unit is now able to use the iPad as well as the iPod or iPhone. The damage to the cable is extensive; this makes determining causality infeasible.

K."

Then my response with the included pic of the quote:

"I have mentioned this in the previous email and R., yet the question continues to be avoided which I'm not appreciating. I want to know what will be done to help replace the damages the original cable has done to my car.
Thanks."

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps003e489b.jpg

mgfloCR 08-14-2013 02:23 PM

A friend of mine brought this to my attention. Apparently, people on the TSX forums were experiencing the same "meltdown" on the iSimple cable since 2008. So I sent another email to customer service to make them aware:

"K.,
Sorry to send multiple emails to you, but it seems like I haven't been the only customer experiencing these "melting" cables for the past few years. I'm surprised this issue has not been rectified after it's been going on for so long.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...isimple-7.html

Luckily for these customers, they didn't experience any damages like my original cable caused.

Thanks"

mgfloCR 08-15-2013 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mgfloCR (Post 22724834)
A friend of mine brought this to my attention. Apparently, people on the TSX forums were experiencing the same "meltdown" on the iSimple cable since 2008. So I sent another email to customer service to make them aware:

"K.,
Sorry to send multiple emails to you, but it seems like I haven't been the only customer experiencing these "melting" cables for the past few years. I'm surprised this issue has not been rectified after it's been going on for so long.

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...isimple-7.html

Luckily for these customers, they didn't experience any damages like my original cable caused.

Thanks"

There's also this from the BMW forums...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=759901

mgfloCR 08-15-2013 05:10 PM

UPDATE:

Email response after sending the rep the external links and quote:

"Sir,
We will again to identify the source of your failure; your cable will be reviewed by the Director of Engineering when he returns from vacation. We ask for your patience during this time.

K."

And of course I respond:

"Approximately when can I expect the director to return from his vacation and begin his review? I would like everything to be resolved in a timely manner. Also, you still have not addressed any kind of reimbursement plan for the damages your product has caused. Please address my issues instead of ignoring them. I would appreciate it."

des_si 08-15-2013 07:17 PM

^^ I'm guessing your last email got their attention. If I were you I would search on as many forums as possible and keep updating them with what you have found!

It might also be worth it to say something like "I was really hoping we could work something out in regards to getting a reimbursement for the damage your product caused to my car. However, I am prepared to consult with an attorney who specializes in these types of product defects since it seems as though a lot of other people had the same problem and similar damage." I would only use this kind of statement as a last ditch attempt though, see what the director of engineering says!

mgfloCR 08-23-2013 11:16 AM

UPDATE:

Emailed today:
"K.
I've patiently waited this entire week. What is the status of my claim?
Thanks,
M."

Response:
"Sir, I have not received the final report from the Director of Engineering but I have spoken with him on the phone. He thinks an external heat source fused the cable together at the zip tie and caused the failure at the head of the cable. Based upon this evaluation, we are unable to do anything other than replace your unit with new stock.
K."

And my immediate response:
"K.,

"He 'thinks' an external heat source..." is not a definitive evaluation of your product. It is the same as saying that I "think" it's a defect on your part, namely a closed circuit with high current generating the excess heat causing the damage which the cable clearly shows internal melting. But because it's only a thought and not an evaluation, I'd like to request that defect back to have it examined by a legitimate outside firm for a definitive review if the evaluation is not going to be further reviewed by engineering because of a mere thought.

I will continue to gather other consumers' reviews over your defective cables and I will continue to pursue this because though it's only "hundreds" of dollars of parts that I'm requesting your company to replace, the value of my car will be "thousands" loss with the originality of it gone especially since it's a discontinued product. Please let me know when the product has been sent out for return.

Thanks, M."

Though this whole ordeal is/will be time-consuming, it's a shame this company is going through great lengths to not own up the cons of their product. If they had just simply reimbursed me, even partially, I would've been content because of that kind of responsive customer service.

mgfloCR 09-09-2013 08:31 AM

UPDATE:

I FINALLY got my reimbursement after over a month of emailing back and forth. So I asked for my cable back to get it evaluated for real.

"Sir,
I have reached out to my Engineering group to see where they are at with the unit and will let you know when we receive the final report. I cannot ship the cable until the group concludes their evaluation. The earliest this could happen is Monday, August 26th."

But instead, they decided not to give it back and emailed me this:
"Sir,
I have been authorized to offer you $200 for your claim; the final results were inconclusive as to the cause of the cable failure. Please reply with your acceptance of this offer and we will instruct our Accounting group to prepare a check to be sent to the Orlando address provided. We await your reply."

Now that's pretty low considering that the center console without the leather is already ~$385, but I know I couldn't get them to pay up in full to $500 so I replied:
"Thank you for the reply. A few weeks ago, I emailed you a quote of the parts I would need, which I have attached again, for $385.33. This does not include the leather and labor. The cheapest price I could find to replace the leather is for $99.99 with $20 shipping, and that's used. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-HONDA-S...-/290967985578)

This will total out to be over $500. Though I would like to seek full reimbursement of the damages, I am willing to settle for partial reimbursement for at least $350.

I certainly appreciate the reply and actions by your department to reimburse me, however this claim has continued for over a month when this could have alleviated much sooner. Again, I am being realistic with our negotiations and asking for at least $350 in reimbursement. If that could be met, I will no longer pursue this claim and it can be closed.

I appreciate you and your accounting group for your efforts."

This was forwarded to the supervisor and I got the approval today after waiting for over a week. Goes to show patience, persistence and evidence-based arguments pay off. Thanks for all the advice guys, and I hope this ordeal helps people out in the future.

Hoang 09-09-2013 09:10 AM

Same thing happened to me, I had to show them the actual cost to replace my broken unit and that their offer was not sufficient. Good job though! My iPod was going to be near $200 + iPhone at retail cost $700. I told them I was able to replace my phone at no cost with Apple but my iPod had a replacement fee.

thenoxus1 09-09-2013 11:25 AM

Glad it all got resolved. Any interest on selling that console? https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/public/st...t/rolleyes.gif

MBHs2k 09-11-2013 01:04 PM

Good for you :thumbup: :thumbup: persistence and patience goes a long way

zdave87 09-14-2013 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mgfloCR (Post 22768754)
UPDATE:

I FINALLY got my reimbursement after over a month of emailing back and forth. So I asked for my cable back to get it evaluated for real.

"Sir,
I have reached out to my Engineering group to see where they are at with the unit and will let you know when we receive the final report. I cannot ship the cable until the group concludes their evaluation. The earliest this could happen is Monday, August 26th."

But instead, they decided not to give it back and emailed me this:
"Sir,
I have been authorized to offer you $200 for your claim; the final results were inconclusive as to the cause of the cable failure. Please reply with your acceptance of this offer and we will instruct our Accounting group to prepare a check to be sent to the Orlando address provided. We await your reply."

Now that's pretty low considering that the center console without the leather is already ~$385, but I know I couldn't get them to pay up in full to $500 so I replied:
"Thank you for the reply. A few weeks ago, I emailed you a quote of the parts I would need, which I have attached again, for $385.33. This does not include the leather and labor. The cheapest price I could find to replace the leather is for $99.99 with $20 shipping, and that's used. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-HONDA-S...-/290967985578)

This will total out to be over $500. Though I would like to seek full reimbursement of the damages, I am willing to settle for partial reimbursement for at least $350.

I certainly appreciate the reply and actions by your department to reimburse me, however this claim has continued for over a month when this could have alleviated much sooner. Again, I am being realistic with our negotiations and asking for at least $350 in reimbursement. If that could be met, I will no longer pursue this claim and it can be closed.

I appreciate you and your accounting group for your efforts."

This was forwarded to the supervisor and I got the approval today after waiting for over a week. Goes to show patience, persistence and evidence-based arguments pay off. Thanks for all the advice guys, and I hope this ordeal helps people out in the future.

And you kept things civil- which goes a long way.

mic_crispy 09-26-2013 06:15 AM

Nice man!

Now.... are you selling the old console :D

des_si 09-29-2013 07:01 AM

Congrats! I'm really glad to hear that you got the full price, I had a feeling they would:)

polar2k 10-06-2013 10:59 AM

yikes, I had an Isimple in my old accord. Got it on ebay for 25 shipped, I guess this explains why it was so cheap :scratch: