S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Collectors Insurance

Old 12-16-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Collectors Insurance

As CR values steadily increase, I was just wondering which companies you guys are insured through and what you're paying. I recently purchased an `agreed upon` policy valued at $40k for $475 per year. They were initially reluctant to sell the policy as they were only seeing $12k book value for the CR. I had to send them a bill of sale for them to approve. The company is American Modern Insurance Group (Sold through GEICO I think?). I went with them because I recently switched my NSX policy over (Condons Kelly and JC Taylor previously), and they gave me the best rate.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I use Hagerty for mine.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

I think more and more people with S2000s, CR or not, should look into stated amount policies. There are some pretty specific criteria to be eligible for it but it's a good move if you are worried about the replacement cost in the event of loss. If you use a traditional policy, more than likely the value is calculated on actual cash value. Alternate insurance like Hagerty (which is what I recommend) provide a rate calculated predominantly on the physical damage value(comprehensive / collision) as specified by the Insured.

PS. I don't work for Hagerty I "may" know a little more about insurance than most though
Old 12-17-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

American Collectors insurance is also another very good company.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Grundy. As long as the car(s) garaged and you have a commuter car you do have an agreed value. I have both S2000's on one policy with my 2001 valued at $19K and the CR at $40K. My policy is just under $600 / year
Old 12-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Former Moderator

I would caution that premium is subjective to many variables so I would recommend quoting with all the carriers listed above. I know, for example, one carrier to another can vary by over double in some instances. Good call on Grundy btw. They are also an excellent carrier
Old 12-20-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I've thought about collector car insurance multiple times and even filled out applications for Haggerty and Grundy, but I never follow through. I've found that the policies are FAR to limiting and won't give me enough freedom to enjoy the car as I wish. Grundy is VERY specific about what you can and can't use your car for. I never want to be in a position where if I answer questions truthfully, they can deny coverage. I also don't want to save a few hundred bucks but never be allowed to use my car...
Old 12-20-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
I've thought about collector car insurance multiple times and even filled out applications for Haggerty and Grundy, but I never follow through. I've found that the policies are FAR to limiting and won't give me enough freedom to enjoy the car as I wish. Grundy is VERY specific about what you can and can't use your car for. I never want to be in a position where if I answer questions truthfully, they can deny coverage. I also don't want to save a few hundred bucks but never be allowed to use my car...
Very good points on the limitations. But I doubt a traditional policy will pay anywhere close to an agreed collector policy in a total loss. I'm my case the 5000 mile yearly limit works great.

p.s. Your cr is awesome, beautiful car!

Last edited by jca24; 12-20-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:53 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by jca24
Very good points on the limitations. But I doubt a traditional policy will pay anywhere close to an agreed collector policy in a total loss. I'm my case the 5000 mile yearly limit works great.
^ this is exactly the reason why the limitations are there, but also, the benefit is you are getting the stated/agreed amount value of your vehicle. With a traditional policy, you will be getting the actual cash value (kbb) for the car. That also probably won't cover things like aftermarket equipment unless you have a special endorsement or agreement on value of those products. That's the risk.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If mileage is the primary hindrance, American Modern will sell a collector's policy above the usual 3,000 and 6,000 miles per year. They have a 10,000 and unlimited option on their application.

I don't have any personal experience with them though.

Quick Reply: Collectors Insurance