S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Collectors Insurance

Old 12-27-2016, 06:14 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I too have had several quotes from Hagerty over time and looked at a few other companies. I meet all the requirements for insurance but the one limitation that sticks is using the car in an overnight, non-car meet, situation. If my bride and I head out for a B&B on a Saturday night, the car will not be covered. Has anyone found something that will let you drive overnight on an occasional trip?

Haggerty quoted me for $28K for my 09 Rio Yellow (38 of them-non-CR) a couple of years ago. USAA would not spring for an agreed upon cash value. I wonder if you could do a hybrid of the two.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:46 PM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I too have had several quotes from Hagerty over time and looked at a few other companies. I meet all the requirements for insurance but the one limitation that sticks is using the car in an overnight, non-car meet, situation. If my bride and I head out for a B&B on a Saturday night, the car will not be covered. Has anyone found something that will let you drive overnight on an occasional trip?

Haggerty quoted me for $28K for my 09 Rio Yellow (38 of them-non-CR) a couple of years ago. USAA would not spring for an agreed upon cash value. I wonder if you could do a hybrid of the two.
Did Hagerty specifically tell you that the scenario you described isn't covered? That could be any road trip, out of town gathering, etc. I wonder if other "classic car" policies are like that.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mocky
Did Hagerty specifically tell you that the scenario you described isn't covered? That could be any road trip, out of town gathering, etc. I wonder if other "classic car" policies are like that.
Yes. Out of town gatherings, meets, shows, are all covered. However, blasting off for "normal" activities involving overnight stays, what you might use a regular car for, are not. At least that is how it was communicated to me. I did not want to be in a position of having a claim event and having to make up some cock and bull story about going to some activity someplace when it was not true.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Former Moderator

Yes. Out of town gatherings, meets, shows, are all covered. However, blasting off for "normal" activities involving overnight stays, what you might use a regular car for, are not. At least that is how it was communicated to me. I did not want to be in a position of having a claim event and having to make up some cock and bull story about going to some activity someplace when it was not true.
Completely agree. Thanks for that information. I would find that to be something more of a claims scenario and not something that a policy dec would have in terms of a specified exclusion. USAA btw is also actual cash value so they definitely wouldn't give you the market or agreed upon value of our car. Unfortunately, the major carriers don't have that as an option.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 312 Likes on 165 Posts

I don't believe this is correct. They don't want you using the car for errands, commuting, dinner at Applebees, ect. Any leisure activities should be covered.

I've never had any issued with my collectors policies on the S2000s. I was with Hagerty originally and I am now with Grundy. I've had a windshield replaced that was broken from a rock from a truck on the freeway. Nobody asked any questions about the time or anything when this occurred. I put in the claim, told them I wanted OEM glass and that was it.

I've talked to both companies at length about what I'm allowed to use my car for, and I gave both of my policies to a claims adjuster at my company to review before I signed the paperwork and bound the policies. It's all comes down to the leisure use only clause. That being said I don't use my cars frequently, and they are never parked anywhere I can't observe them. When I take the car out of town for an overnight trip I typically call the carrier to confirm we won't have any problems with coverage. This happens infrequently enough that I don't mind giving them a call to discuss.
The following users liked this post:
#172CR (01-01-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mocky
Completely agree. Thanks for that information. I would find that to be something more of a claims scenario and not something that a policy dec would have in terms of a specified exclusion. USAA btw is also actual cash value so they definitely wouldn't give you the market or agreed upon value of our car. Unfortunately, the major carriers don't have that as an option.
How did the USAA rates compare to Hagerty or Grundy for you?
Old 01-03-2017, 02:46 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Feezy
How did the USAA rates compare to Hagerty or Grundy for you?
Grundy is actually cheaper by a lot compared to Hagerty. I can't get a USAA policy because I don't have relatives in the military space. If I did, my regular policy would be with USAA. That being said, I do know that IF I could get a USAA policy, it would be a cheaper than my current auto policy.

I have some discussions with a few people regarding different policy options so I'll know more on where I land in the next few weeks.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Grundy did not want to insure my initial CR back in 2009, said they were not interested in covering a vehicle that recent, hence my going with Hagerty. I have to say Hagerty may not be the cheapest for coverage for a single vehicle, but they have been extremely competitive on multiple vehicle coverage.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Grundy did not want to insure my initial CR back in 2009, said they were not interested in covering a vehicle that recent, hence my going with Hagerty. I have to say Hagerty may not be the cheapest for coverage for a single vehicle, but they have been extremely competitive on multiple vehicle coverage.
I don't have nearly as many S2000s as you do, but I found that Grundy was more than competitive on both and individual basis and a group basis for my S2000s. Give them a call again if you haven't gotten a quote from them in a while.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 PM

Pulled this from Grundy website. I don't recall getting a quote from them but there restrictions are something that I can easily live with. Going to get a quote.How Can I Use My Car?

Grundy wants you to enjoy your car, not keep track of mileage like some programs with limitations. Therefore, we give you unlimited miles for pleasure driving and in collector car-oriented activities. It is even OK if occasionally you drive your collector car to work to show it off to friends. However, your collector car must not be used as a daily driver. We require you and all licensed drivers in your household to have a modern car for everyday use.

When you have your car at home, it must be kept in an enclosed, secure garage when not in use. If you are away from home on extended outings your car is fully protected if you must park it outside, for example in a hotel parking lot. Grundy coverage includes Trip Interruption that reimburses you for hotel and repair costs in the event of a breakdown, and we also reimburse you for towing and labor charges up to $250. You can count on Grundy as you cruise.

Received an online quote from Grundy: $342/year.

Going to follow up on this tomorrow.

Last edited by cosmomiller; 01-03-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Quote

Quick Reply: Collectors Insurance