S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

CR Suspension and nonstaggered alignment help

Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by devinfox
I have not had my CR for long and I do not yet have a square setup, however, I was am planning on starting with a somewhat mild alignment using the following settings, I know this works wonders on non staggered but if I want to go with a square setup later in the year, would I be shooting myself in the foot?

I plan to drive the car in lots of auto-x and some track days.

6+ caster in front
0 toe front
.02 positive toe in rear with .04 total toe in rear
-1.6 camber front
-1.8 camber in rear
On a 215/255 or 225/255 setup (RS3 tire...you can run a little less with Z1SS or tires with a stiffer sidewall), run the following setup if you're on OEM camber joints (highly recommend J's Racing S1 camber joint):

Front (OEM/J's)
max caster / max caster
max camber (you'll get about -1.7) / -2.8 to -3.0
0 toe

Rear
-2.6 to -2.9 camber (basically max it out)
1/8" total toe-in (1/16" toe-in each corner)

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Front only or front and rear? How much track time will you be seeing? Do you have a preference in how loose the car is in the rear? Is tire wear a concern?

I run these specs currently, and the car is pretty balanced. I'll be going to 1/8" total toe on my next alignment; I want the rear to rotate faster.

front
-3.3 camber
6.5 caster
0 toe
rear
-3.3 camber
5/32" total toe-in

Conservative track settings would be something like this, assuming you have only a front camber kit:

front
-2.5 camber
6 caster
0 toe
rear
-2.75 camber
3/16" total toe in

The toe will make the rear less likely to come out (more rear stability), as will having extra camber in the back compared to the front (larger contact patch in the rear compared to the front).

What speeds do you hit at the tracks (in turns) you run at?
I have them front and rear. I just checked this morning and for sure they are both SPC. I don't have a bumpsteer kit. Ideally twice a year big tracks with 3-4 autocross days here in San Diego. I bought the RE-11's cause they were 830 bucks total NEW and mounted out the door from a homeboy hookup. SUcks he doesnt work there anymore, but yes, when the tires go bad, I was planning on Star Specs, or Kumho Exctas, or Neovas....you get my point. LOL. As far as how loose the car is in the rear, it doesnt really matter at the moment since I havent driven on the track yet, and I still have the rear wheel bearings to get fixed. At the track I may be a bit conservative and slow it will be my first time. Tire wear doesnt really bother me because I have another set of "show wheels" with good tires on them that are sitting in my closet, and the S is not my daily or weekend driver. It's just there. Meh. Thanks again for that wealth of knowledge.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you looking for more of an autox or track setup? The two are mutually exclusive, unfortunately.

AutoX demands sharp initial response at the cost of static grip, while the track is the opposite.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 PM

Are you looking for more of an autox or track setup? The two are mutually exclusive, unfortunately.

AutoX demands sharp initial response at the cost of static grip, while the track is the opposite.
Wow. You know alot! Thanks. It will be more towards tracks. I would like to do a couple of autocross events just to get some seat time and overall experience, but big track is where I plan on being the most and that's when I am free from work.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM

How comfortable are you with a loose rear end? What does your experience consist of? How many times have you spun out (disclaimer: I've spun out so many times I've lost count)?

You should come out to a s2k challenge

Tell me how you want the car to feel, and I'll give you a recommendation (keeping in mind that tire wear is not a concern).
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM

How comfortable are you with a loose rear end? What does your experience consist of? How many times have you spun out (disclaimer: I've spun out so many times I've lost count)?

You should come out to a s2k challenge

Tell me how you want the car to feel, and I'll give you a recommendation (keeping in mind that tire wear is not a concern).
I have never spun out and would like to spin out at least once to know how it feels and learn how to push hard without loosing it. My experience consists of some canyon runs on my previous staggered setup, but by no means do I have any True track experience, so I will be a rookie in all by all means. When is S2K challenge and where? DO you have the link? I work alot of weekends but may be able to swing the day off knowing in advance and if someone is willing to cover and trade.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

psychoazn spins out a lot.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 PM

The next S2k Challenge is at ACS (Auto Club Speedway) in Fontana, so you probably won't spin there; it's a relatively simple track.

Event #2 - Saturday, February 25: Auto Club Speedway Roval

Rules here (it seems complicated, but it's not; I can answer any questions you have): https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/920...allenge-rules/

Signup link is here: http://www.speedventures.com/events/...il.aspx?id=370

Conveniently, Saturday also includes a beginner group, and there will be plenty of us to give you a ride along and/or ride with you. There are some SD guys that track; they have a thread in the SD subsection.: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/819...and-autocross/
Old 02-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by takchi
psychoazn spins out a lot.
I haven't spun since... December...
Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

255 on 10" square rs3's 3 degree camber front and rear. 7 caster. 1/16 out in front, 2/16 in on rear, no rear bar for track.

Quick Reply: CR Suspension and nonstaggered alignment help