S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

CR Suspension and nonstaggered alignment help

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rrthorne8
255 on 10" square rs3's 3 degree camber front and rear. 7 caster. 1/16 out in front, 2/16 in on rear, no rear bar for track.
Sounds like a band-aid for faster initial turn-in response. Have you used a pyrometer to verify the camber settings and/or how does your tire wear look? Are you on stock suspension?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Are you looking for more of an autox or track setup? The two are mutually exclusive, unfortunately.

AutoX demands sharp initial response at the cost of static grip, while the track is the opposite.

Could you provide an example to differentiate an auto-x and track alignment?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by devinfox
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1328123860' post='21373948
Are you looking for more of an autox or track setup? The two are mutually exclusive, unfortunately.

AutoX demands sharp initial response at the cost of static grip, while the track is the opposite.

Could you provide an example to differentiate an auto-x and track alignment?
It's hard to give an auto-x specific alignment, as depending on the class the car is in, they may be severely restricted on modifications to increase camber. For example, in BS, typical setup is max front camber -2 rear camber, 0 toe, disconnected rear sway, giant front sway, and shocks. BS is limited to 2 modifications, so you're limited to the stock camber adjustment on the front which will get you roughly -1.8.

*disclaimer: I'm not a AutoX Driver.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_s2k
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1328123860' post='21373948

Wow. You know alot! Thanks. It will be more towards tracks. I would like to do a couple of autocross events just to get some seat time and overall experience, but big track is where I plan on being the most and that's when I am free from work.
You have no idea...this is the guy that after working a full day, helps me swap out my suspension at 11 PM at night. He even gave me a ride in his car and it was quite an experience to go from how tame I drive in my stock AP1 to his tuned CR with HIM driving.

He offered a lot knowledge too while he was helping me with my suspension and while he took me for a ride in his car. He would not offer advice to someone that he hasn't tried himself and be willing to do it again.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Go mike!! great forum member
Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by #172CR
Go mike!! great forum member
Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 AM

Nice, informative thread.

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Originally Posted by takchi' timestamp='1328133170' post='21374573
psychoazn spins out a lot.
I haven't spun since... December...
Considering the square setup what would you say is your most common reason for spinning? Lift throttle? Just carrying too much speed into the corner? Is there a particular kind corner it happens on (sweeper, decreasing radius,etc)?

Is this why you want to change the alignment?... to get the rear to rotate faster? Are you currently holding steering lock too long (or inputting too much) coaxing or waiting for the rear before unwinding again (or some other driver error )
Old 02-29-2012, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by F1 blue
Nice, informative thread.

Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1328133343' post='21374583
[quote name='takchi' timestamp='1328133170' post='21374573']
psychoazn spins out a lot.
I haven't spun since... December...
Considering the square setup what would you say is your most common reason for spinning? Lift throttle? Just carrying too much speed into the corner? Is there a particular kind corner it happens on (sweeper, decreasing radius,etc)?

Is this why you want to change the alignment?... to get the rear to rotate faster? Are you currently holding steering lock too long (or inputting too much) coaxing or waiting for the rear before unwinding again (or some other driver error )
[/quote]

My most common reason for spinning was because I didn't know how to recover from it (aka lack of seat time). I would get a point by, and then go into the next corner too hot and/or trail braking without knowing how to handle the rear when it did come out. Now I do, and it doesn't bother me

My setup as it sits now is actually MORE rotation friendly than when I used to spin tons. I now prefer a car that will oversteer under any circumstance, rather than understeer, and have had other drivers tell me that my driving style has changed quite a bit.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
jza

psychoazn,
Mind to share how you handle and recover the rear?

My car was originally understeering so much and I am not able to hold the car on my line with the speed. It ends up spinning out. Now, my car oversteers and I am able to hold it on my line but I am not able to have much throttle like used to. If I have more throttle, the car will spin in no time in corner. The spin is too fast that I can't save it. On other car, I can let my hands off my steering wheel and it will rewind and correct the problem. But, it doesn't seem to work on s2k. The rewind speed on s2k is too slow and not enough angle. Maybe it needs a higher caster?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by jza
psychoazn,
Mind to share how you handle and recover the rear?

My car was originally understeering so much and I am not able to hold the car on my line with the speed. It ends up spinning out. Now, my car oversteers and I am able to hold it on my line but I am not able to have much throttle like used to. If I have more throttle, the car will spin in no time in corner. The spin is too fast that I can't save it. On other car, I can let my hands off my steering wheel and it will rewind and correct the problem. But, it doesn't seem to work on s2k. The rewind speed on s2k is too slow and not enough angle. Maybe it needs a higher caster?
What kind of setup are you on?

Is your cornering speed higher or lower with the current oversteer setup vs the original understeer setup? If it's faster, then you may be at the limit of the setup. If it's slower, then the setup may be bad.

Do you have a bucket seat? You should never let go of the steering wheel, unless you're drifting

Quick Reply: CR Suspension and nonstaggered alignment help